What would you do if you suspected cheating on the Standardized tests? xpost - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2003, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend whose child is in the same school district as my child. She told me that her daughter came home and told her that after they complete their test, the teacher is telling them what they got wrong and they are correcting it. Isn't that pretty much against the point of the test to begin with? I already am so irritated that my daughter is taking the testing (different school, same district) that I am considering not allowing her to take it next year.

Anyway, what would you do about this situation? I am at a loss and I want to make this situation known so that it is stopped. I have located some articles online this morning about this happening in other cities and teachers actually getting caught giving answers to students.

One part that makes me wonder about the teachers' competence is do they really think a second grader is NOT going to mention this to the parents? LOL

Anyway, wwyd?

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your post tells of just one extreme of what is wrong with standardized testing. It is the extension of teaching the children how to write the particular format of test that they will be encountering. It has little to do with education, and a lot to do with bureaucracy and politics.

My dd is at home this week while the rest of the Grade 3's at her school write a standardized test. I have the support of the administration and her teacher for keeping her home. I think that if I heard of cheating happening, I'd check the facts and then make it part of the letter that I am writing to tell the government body that administers the tests why she's not writing. I am not sure I'd be brave enough to include the names of the people who were involved.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
T

This is regarding regular testing, not standardized testing;

I saw a "fellow student " "studying " for a history test by writing on his hand immediately before the test. I reported it to the teacher who did - NOTHING!

The teacher used the same old test year in and year out. This "fellow student" had an older sib who had the same teacher a couple of years before, so conceiveably could have studied the test from his sib. This "fellow student" also got the highest grade on every test in history of all five classes that this teacher taught. The teacher told me that he had always suspected that he was cheating in some way, but he did NOTHING!

Otherwise it would be too much work.

I also saw this in college and at the graduate University level. Teachers and University professors usually do nothing unless the cheating is blantantly thrown up into their face.

Back to the topic, I do know that there is pressure in many schools and districts to keep up the scores on these tests by any measure, so I am not surprised to see administrators look the other way when confronted with evidence of cheating.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List