What do you like best about your public school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-05-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I have missed this board, we moved over Memorial day weekend and I just got my pc back up a few days ago.
I was just wondering what eveyone likes best about their public school.
I hear so much public school bashing these days. I think with any type of education there are drawbacks. My dd is in a public charter school now but we are debating whether to move her to the regular public school (to other posters who've read my threads, yes I am still undecided! )
Obviously public schools are doing something right by the number of kids going to college these days and becoming dr's, lawyers, engineers...

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#2 of 13 Old 06-06-2003, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I like the cost But beyond that, I like the diversity and that my child needs to learn together with many different types of children and abilities. I like the relationships I have with the principal and teachers. I like being able to count on a whole school philosophy of how problems are handled (responsive classroom it's called). I like it that I don't HAVE to be involved for chunks of time if I'm really busy at work and home and can't volunteer. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

I think it is important to realize what we value if we are sending our children to public school, so thanks for starting this thread!

#3 of 13 Old 06-07-2003, 12:17 AM

I like the diversity also. and once i got past my fearing the teachers and realized that they werent God, and that i could in fact have an impact....all was well. Now, no teacher nor dean intimidates me! That said, i am ok with how things are going now with my three kids. my youngest starts kindergarten this fall, and i am excited for him. i love his elementary school. My son who is in middle school, is in the "gifted" program....he does interesting science projects and different languages every 9 weeks.
#4 of 13 Old 06-07-2003, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

We are new to the district, but the one thing that I love about it is they pass the school bonds! They just got a new elementary and high school that are just gorgeous. They are also trying to pass a bond at my dd's potential school for A/C, a bigger cafeteria and art room, other things like that. I think this shows so much community support. We used to live in a different county and district where the bond failed twice just while we lived there (four years) so the kids are crammed in portables (trailers) overcrowding is a real problem there. In the school we might switch dd to there is 19-20 kids in a class.

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#5 of 13 Old 06-08-2003, 12:33 PM

The best thing about my daughter's school is that it makes her think in different ways from the way she thinks at home. She speaks French at school while we speak in English at home. She is constantly challenged while she is at school to think about things more thoroughly so that she can understand them in two languages. I love watching her work through these challenges. She has a real gift for language, so it is a fun process for her.
#6 of 13 Old 06-09-2003, 11:01 AM

My dd is completing kindergarten. While it's only been a year, on the whole I've been very happy with her public school. Like others here, I like the diversity. I've been very pleased with the teacher and the staff. She has learned a ton this year and has loved every minute of it. The school has very high parent involvement.

It's not entirely perfect. There are a few things I disagree with. But most of them are not that big a deal. I really doubt I could find a better situation.
#7 of 13 Old 06-09-2003, 12:30 PM

I like the size of my school...two classes of each grade, from k to 5th...
I like the work the school does to develop a sense of community among the kids...there are a number of days throughout the school year when the kids are in "teams" that include members from each grade. The kindergarteners get a 5th grade buddy who is on this team with them and also meets with them at other times during the year.
Totally not what I would have expected.

I like the relaxed "feel" of the school, and the kids' sense that they are important in the running of it. It's by no means a democratic school, but someone has been reading the right books!

I don't like teaching to the standards, but that's another whole thread!
#8 of 13 Old 07-14-2003, 02:29 PM

My boys go to a magnet school with a very rich cultural diversity. I like that they get to interact closely with so many people that think & live very differently than we do. The school also focuses strongly on developing a sense of community & social responsibility. They also have piano lessons as part of their arts heavy curriculum-- all I have to pay for is the music book. They will also be starting Latin this year which I think is really cool. They really enjoy this school too. It's a much better fit for them than the one they were at before.
#9 of 13 Old 07-23-2003, 01:49 PM

I love the diversity my dd gets at her school. It is a smaller public school in a very well to do district but it feels like a community there. I really like the principal and teachers, her principal is someone you can just go up to and talk to him and you don't feel he is talking over you. He really gives you the feeling he is there for you and your child. I also like how they incorparte different cultures and learning styles into their programs, this year the whole school reenactted the underground railroad, alos they have a program for children who have special needs and they incorparate them into the other classrooms and the kids help these students and really come to be firends with them, it touches my heart to see how well everyone meshes at the school. Also the district has art or music everyday of the week and in 4th grade she can take an instrument and be in the band. So those are my thoughts.
#10 of 13 Old 01-01-2004, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am pulling this thread forward to help out graceoc to see some past opinions of public schools.

#11 of 13 Old 01-01-2004, 03:04 PM

Thanks Lauren - it has been great really reading about other peoples public schools, I guess I should look into mine a bit more closly. The elementary is 2 blocks from our house and is BRAND NEW! Looks very nice on the outside. I have heard that the PTO is very active and to me that is always a good sign. There is also supposed to be a public magnet school a bit more downtown.....guess I have some looking into to do....Thanks again, and I hope more people will respond....

Grace

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#12 of 13 Old 01-02-2004, 09:31 PM

I would like to give the OP a big hug for starting this thread -- it is like a cup of tea for me right now.

My best friend recently decided that she will be homeschooling (our kids are only 2) and it is ALL she can talk about. But lately she has been sharing some very harsh opinions about how awful public school is, perhaps not taking the time to be aware of how that might make me feel, knowing we will be giving the public school system in our town a try. So lately I have felt a little inadequate about sending dd to public school (someday).

Then I read through some of the MDC posts and feel even worse, even though I know I am going to be doing the right thing by my family.

Anyways, it is so refreshing to read that some of you send your kids to public schools and actually have good experiences. I plan to be extremely active in the PTO from the moment dd sets foot inside kindergarten. That might be the best thing for both of us.
#13 of 13 Old 01-04-2004, 01:28 AM
lab

I love this thread and I love my kids' school!

Before my ds1 started kindergarten, I told my husband he needed to move us to a decent district or make enough $ to send him to private school! We moved! Isn't it funny how after you have kids you base ALL of your life decisions on them....

Anyway - I have a great relationship with the staff and princ. and vice princ. I volunteer in all three classrooms once per week and serve on 3 committees on the PTA. One of the committees is the Faculty/Staff Appreciation Committee. The teachers all know me and love me and that reflects on my children YKWIM!!! I don't hesitate or apologize to request teachers every year for each of my children. And I always get the teacher I want. I get bugged about it sometimes (like my mom : ), but who knows my kids better than me? I have great relationships with each teacher and am thrilled with how and what my kids are doing. I sometimes have issues, but I immediately schedule conferences and get them taken care of...... I work HARD on my kids' education, and it shows!

Unfortunately, I can't (right now) justify sending my son to public school for middle school, so after next year (he will be in 5th grade, his last year of elementary school) I will homeschool him. I may homeschool my rising 3rd grade daughter if I am not completely happy with her situation. Frankly, I get scared for her with other relationships with girls.

Anyway, I'll stop now. Great public schools are out there. My kids' school performs right along with local private schools! We have an awesome PTA with LOADS of parent involvement. That is what to look for, Parent Involvement!

Good Luck!

Lisa

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page