Prayer in Secular Preschool. WWYD? UPDATE #27 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally I would inquire as to why I wasn't informed that they would be saying grace at meal time. And I would want to know that I wasn't too pleased and express my concern, as a parent you have the right. Even as a Christian I don't expect my child to have a teacher/peer lead prayer in secular school because if that were the case I would but them in the religious school of my choice. I dont' want any and everyone leading my child in prayer like that. I want my child to pray on their own (and they do) but I want to respect the rights of others as well.

I myself am an educator and I make an effort to never mention Christmas or Easter or any other "religious" holiday when speaking to my diverse group of students. Everyone is NOT Christian. And even so all Christian's to not believe in the same thing.

Talk to her teacher about it. It's your right. This is coming from a teacher...and a mother.
#62 of 64 Old 08-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Honestly here in Mississippi they say prayer at lunch time in public school...we are however very religious so its no big deal to us.
#63 of 64 Old 08-25-2007, 10:06 PM

well, i consider myself very religious, too, even though we're not Christian. i don't think it's about whether one is religious or not. it's about separation of church and state-- there should be no place for any one religion's prayers in public institutions. that's what we have private schools for.

religion should be taught (or not) in the home, and/or at church. that's what this whole thread started because of, i believe (i just added onto it).

respectfully,
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#64 of 64 Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Very strange.

At my DD's preK, they sent home a notice saying that they do a sort of blessing before the snack. We were all aware of it before they every did it. (Maybe they asked permission, too.) The only thing it said was:

Thank you for the friends we meet
Thank you for the food we eat.

That's IT. No mention of God or anything.

It was held in a church, but beyond that, I have no idea of their affiliation.

I think parents should be informed beforehand, period. If it's a public school, it should not be happening at all.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page