would you have a problem w/ this kindergarten entrance test? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it sounds great and very fair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Also, if my children go into kindergarten academically advanced...say all ready reading and writing, no I absolutely wouldn't want them to be lumped in with their peers who need basic instruction in the alphabet. They'd be bored out of their skulls. I'm not penalizing my children out of a warped sense of non-judgementalism.
I guess I misread this. To me this sounds like you don't want a kid who doesn't know their alphabet in the classroom if other kids are reading. I was just wondering where that kid would go.
#93 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansMommy View Post
Yes, yes yes!

For instance, my son can write all of his letters, but many of them are written functionally incorrectly. (which I didn't realize until he had OT and it was explained. I always answered that he could write letters because, from my uneducated perspective, he could since he was 2) He now has the tripod instead of palmer grasp, but still isn't using fine motor to control the writing (coming from the shoulder instead of the hand/wrist),
Fun fact - I am 25 and still don't have a tripod grasp.
Also I have never mastered the tying your shoes thing, I have to make 2 loops and cross them and pull through. Every other adult does this rabbit-around-the-tree thing that I can't do.
#94 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy View Post
so, it's AOK w/ you for your child to be put in a "different" class based on his/her skipping ability?
I would be delighted. My DS has already been through OT and ST in Early Intervention and they were of benefit.
#95 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
I guess I misread this. To me this sounds like you don't want a kid who doesn't know their alphabet in the classroom if other kids are reading. I was just wondering where that kid would go.
That child would be getting one-on-one or small-group assistance with the alphabet.
#96 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I think it is very bizarre.

I also think it is a bad idea to put kids into groups from these tests.
Then how would you group them?
#97 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:45 PM

I'm not sure I would put them into different groups, but I think the children should be observed over a period of days or weeks at the beginning of the school year to see where their strengths and weakneses are and how best to teach them. ONe day and one test to put kids in groups- no.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#98 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
Also I have never mastered the tying your shoes thing, I have to make 2 loops and cross them and pull through. Every other adult does this rabbit-around-the-tree thing that I can't do.
Me NEITHER!!!! Finally a kindred spirit. My DH thinks there is something very wrong with this I'm glad I am not the only one!!!

#99 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 PM

I am really shocked at how different Kindergarten is (at least on this thread) compared to what I remember. I am very torn about homeschooling... this is validating my worst fears about the pushing going on in PS to have kids learning things so soon... my DD has just begun recognizing and writing letters... on her own. i tried to help, but soon realized that she just needs to be given the information and learn on her time. she is just going to preschool this fall... she's going to be 4. and it is a mostly-play program. the only learning is about following rules, etc.

scary that this is going on so early!

#100 of 100 Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
Me NEITHER!!!! Finally a kindred spirit. My DH thinks there is something very wrong with this I'm glad I am not the only one!!!
I am so relieved there's at least one other person out there who can't tie their shoes either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page