Need snack ideas for my sons pre k class! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Veggie booty would be great. Its tasty and fairly healthy.

There are lots of veggies and fruits you could bring but I think a lot of kids that age do not eat veggies well.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz3 View Post
Yogurt would be considered perishable since it has to be refrigerated, therefore not allowed anyway
Yeah, but I still had to complain about it. It has been a year and I am still pissed off about the school feeding DD that. -Sugar makes her so that she cannot sleep. DD goes 3 x per week and in 3 consecutive class periods (W, F, M), she was given sugar. She stopped napping for over a week. At DD's school though I am allowed to provide an alternate snack so that is what I do.

I am afraid given all the restrictions that you are, only Annie's Whole Wheat Bunnies, carrot sticks, Cheerios and apple slices would be acceptable to me. I have a child who is greatly effected by what she eats though so I am very picky.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, goldfish/crackers was a suggestion listed on the letter...so, as I said, I'm sure most parents will bring that. I wanted to bring something a little different

What is veggie booty/?

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

Old 09-04-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
LOL -- I didn't mean to smear the smiley Goldfish. They are a part of life at my house, too (the whole grain ones, though I'm skeptical of their "authenticity" in that regard) -- just not a DAILY part, and more of a "special treat" than a legitimate snack. Actually, I'll tell you when they get eaten -- at church, because nothing keeps my son quiet like a ziploc full of Goldfish crackers.

But in general, if my child is going to be given a daily snack (which ends up nearly replacing a meal because he's not a huge eater, so I'm picky about snacks to begin with), I want it to be as close to whole foods as possible. There was one mom who always brought chocolate teddy grahams and "fruit" snacks (the corn syrup ones) as the snack on her days last year. I don't know if the school ever said anything to her, but I tried not to let it bother me because it was only twice a month that she was the snack provider.
(And she wondered why her kid had behavior issues, too -- I'm pretty sure he acted like a sugared-up kid because he WAS one.)

I really do try not to stress about what foods DS gets "exposed" to on an occasional basis out in the world (cupcakes at parties, fake "juice" at friend's houses, etc.) because I don't want to set him up for issues, but in a controlled environment like preschool, where it's possible to strive for the ideal, I think there's an obligation on their part to do so.
I see where you are coming from

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 AM

It is actually really easy to provide natural, wholesome snacks for preschoolers! Last year we parents alternated providing snacks for DS's preschool class. We all agreed to provide exclusively fresh fruits (watermelon was a class favorite in the spring, but apples, grapes and pears were regulars), cheese (mozzarella or cheddar) and edamame. All are easily store-bought and need no refrigeration (for a few hours, anyway) and minimal preparation time.

The school already provided a wholesome grain snack (rice, millet, oatmeal or rye porridge or freshly baked bread and butter), which is why the parents focused on fruits and proteins. To the OP - how about providing some delicious whole grain bread or rolls and butter as a snack?

I would also add that while dried fruits are nutritious, our dentist recommends eating them only with other foods and not as a snack, since the sticky sugars then stick to the kids' teeth for a prolonged period.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:56 AM

I am a teacher and what we ask the parents is to provide fruit for our class fruit bowl--roughly enough for a week, one parent buys enough for the whole week and then doesn't have another turn for approx 20 weeks. The kids can bring their own snacks as well, but the fruit bowl is the main option. The kids enjoyed the different kinds of fruits--some exotic--that the parents brought in and we composted the cores for our school garden. It worked really well.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:05 PM

what about cherry tomatoes?

perishables... that rule makes it hard, depends on how they look at what's perishable, my first thought is no milk products or mayo, but would freah veggies or fruit be considered perishable?

how about the little baby bananans or the regular sized big ones?

we don't buy them and no idea if they are "good for you" but I have had them in the past, apple chips, dry dry ones, not the soft ones, although the dried sliced ones would be nice.

I love my sons K teacher and school. everyone brings individual drink and snack everyday, has to be good for you, no sodas or candy. Parents are asked to bring fresh fruit for her to cut up and she leaves it out for the kids to munch on during the day, she said about once a month but so far I've sent weekly since I have found out only a couple are sending and it's something I really want my son to have acess to. so far sent apples, blueberries, nectrines, plums, watermelon. My brother's kids' school had the parents rotate but their rule was individually wrapped by the manufacturer items... think little cakes and individual snack crackers packets, and for drinks the parents were sending those barrell juices, talk about pure colored sugar water!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Last year I brought cheese slices and saltine crackers. The teacher said the kids loved making sandwiches out of them. Fruit bars were a big hit, too.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 09-16-2007, 01:13 AM

I found a HUGE box of organic fruit snacks. I don't send them to school for the whole class. We're allowed to bring baked goods.

Maybe you can find something at Trader Joes or Whole Foods.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM

big hits at my daughters preschool were ----
hard boiled eggs cut into wedges and cheese cut into cubes w/ pretzel 'toothpicks' ------I'll try to recall some more.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:05 PM

I think fresh fruit, veggies, hardboiled eggs, and cheese would all be considered perishable. If for some reason they don't give out the snack you send (someone's bday or a surprise from the cafeteria) they'd like to save it for later.

User Tag List