does anyone get a bad vibe from their DC's school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My girls are in 2 schools-- one (which 2 go to) I love. I feel happy when I walk in there, I feel happy when I talk to the principal, I feel happy when I see the kids.

The other, 1 DD goes to 2.5 hrs for preK. I just don't get a good vibe from this school (which is in the same building but is a completely separate organization).

It is a very large daycare (birth to 3) / special needs pre K/ mainstream pre K all in one complex. The clocks are all broken and say the wrong time. All the workers there look... bored and depressed. I just found out yesterday that last year one of the teachers died : from what might have been an intentional overdose. I know one lady who works there and actually have seen her in action with her own kids... she is not very AP, to put it mildly.

However, the main teacher for DD's preK seems really nice.

Am I just being over-sensitive? Does anyone have mixed emotions about their child's school?

I am already thinking about pulling her out and/or transferring her to the school her sisters go to (but that is a full day preK, which seems too long). I can't decide and am going to give it a little more time.
#2 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 PM

Is DD happy there?

I say go with your gut, mama!

Kathy
#3 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 PM

I too would go with your gut.

I had a preschool that I felt that way about with my dd1. It was an award-winning charter school with a paid preschool program. It looked great on the outside and inside-- clean, modern, bright colors, happy kids. I put my dd in it and I got the worst vibes. It just was not right *for her*. She started wetting her pants at school and the teachers didn't even notice. I did when I picked her up. Parents were not allowed in the class even to volunteer, nor were we even allowed to peek in the small window in the classroom door. The teacher put a paper up so we couldn't see in. She was super controlling. As soon as I pulled dd out of there she was much happier. She's now in a different charter school as a first grader and loving it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 7 Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 PM

GO with your first instinct.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#5 of 7 Old 09-08-2007, 05:46 PM

There is no way I'd send my daughter to a school that I felt uncomfortable with.
If you have to ask the questions, I think you know the answer already.

Good luck with this.
#6 of 7 Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks-- I am going to go with my gut.

It is a pretty big complex, and I live very near the school, so over the years have seen the teachers/ aides with the kids when they sometimes go outside. But, that was predominantly the daycare that I would see. I once saw a woman pull a child up by the arms roughly and yell... but that was not the preK (not that it was ok).

I was always torn over whether I should report that or not... I still think about that.

I also know in the special needs section, there have been complaints. But again, that is not the preK.

Anyway, yesterday was the last straw. As I was walking past the entrance a teacher or aide was complaining bitterly, in a very nasty voice, about having to stay there till 3pm even though she was getting paid only until 2:30pm. It's fine for her to upset about this-- but she was saying it very angrily in front of the little kids! : And the kids just looked stricken!

So I'm going to withdraw her and put her in the school her sisters are in.

Thanks for your thoughts.
#7 of 7 Old 09-14-2007, 01:25 AM

I felt uncomfortable about the school ds was in and pulled him out, later I found out a number of other parents had done the same for the same reasons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page