Mothering Forum banner

Writing Assignment....

588 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  rabrog 
#1 ·
My daughter is in 5th grade and her journal assignment was "Do you believe in Heaven? If so, what do you believe would be there? If not, what do you believe in?"

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all. I just wondered what everyone else thought.

I am also posting this on some other boards I am on to get a good idea of everyone's thoughts.

#3 ·
Does not bother me a bit.

I think the kids could learn a lot from one another by sharing.

It is a bit Christian-biased starting with heaven but probably better than asking kids about what happens after death - talking about death can get Parents upset too.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KailuaMamatoMaya View Post
It is a bit Christian-biased starting with heaven but probably better than asking kids about what happens after death - talking about death can get Parents upset too.
Yeah that. I might be wrong - but I think "Heaven" is a Christian concept (in terms of pearly gates, judgement, the soul going "up", etc.)

I think asking the children to share what they think happens after this life would be more appropriate.

I would also wonder what the teacher's motivation was for that kind of assignment. I could be totally benign, but it sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I was thinking, "What difference does it make whether the students believe in Heaven!"

#5 ·
As a teacher I don't like it. Unfortunately there are plenty of cases in this country where people are discriminated upon based on their faith, including children in school. Although I don't think it's likely that this particular teacher is going to use this information to discriminate, I do think that it's a good idea to set up opportunities to do so.

I also don't think that a child's whose religion is different from the norm for their region should be responsible for teaching others about that difference unless it's their choice. I think that can feel really uncomfortable to many children, especially as they approach the awkward middle school age.

Finally, I do think that the question reflects a Christian slant -- it basically divides the class into Christian/nonChristian which subtly implies that Christian is normal or default.

#7 ·
It depends whether this journal is something that is strictly between the teacher & child, or if it is read outloud. If it is outloud then I wouldn't be crazy about it, but in Grade 5 most kids have talked about religion & know who does & does not go to church anyhow. If it was between the teacher & child, then I have less of a problem with it. Either way I would be talking to the teacher about the direction of this. It may be a topic designed to make them think creatively. Do the kids pick thier own topics?

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
It depends whether this journal is something that is strictly between the teacher & child, or if it is read outloud. If it is outloud then I wouldn't be crazy about it, but in Grade 5 most kids have talked about religion & know who does & does not go to church anyhow. If it was between the teacher & child, then I have less of a problem with it. Either way I would be talking to the teacher about the direction of this. It may be a topic designed to make them think creatively. Do the kids pick thier own topics?
The journal will only be read by the teacher. The kids can opt to read the entry in front of the class if they want to. I don't think they pick their own topics....I will have to ask my daughter.

#9 ·
I don't have a probelem with it. It used the word "heaven" but did not give any suggestions - Christian or otherwise - about what is there. It specifically asked the writer to say what they thought was there, etc.

I don't think you can classify a "word" as Christian; I don't think that's fair at all. I know a lot of people who believe in Heaven who are not Christian.

Jenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.