I don't know what the heck this was about, but I'm feeling annoyed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This morning we were all cuddling on the bed when Michael, my eight-year-old, asks if I ever did an illegal drug. I told him no, and he said that he was never going to do illegal drugs because he wanted a "level 4 job". I was all wth is a level four job, to which he replied that level 4 jobs were really important jobs that you needed lots of education for and you make lots of money at, and level 1 jobs were things like grocery baggers and garbage collectors.

I have no idea what the context was, although I intend to find out, but I am really annoyed at what appears to be classist, privileged crap being taught to a third grader. I don't care what my kid grows up to be, as long as he's happy and moral, but I sure as hell don't want him to be the type of person who looks down on "level 1 workers." And this is to say nothing of the tie in to illegal drugs.

Ugh.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, AM everyone knows that if you stay in school and don't do drugs and practice sexual abstinence, someday you'll be the CEO.

You must have missed that day at school.
#3 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Or I was sitting there with a novel hidden in my desk, paying attention to that instead of the teacher.

OK, seriously, I need the language to ask the teacher about this in a non-confrontational way. Preferably something that doesn't us ethe phrase, "WTF?!?!"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#5 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

To be honest, I'm more concerned with the idea that trash collectors and "bag boys" are somehow lesser valued than "Level Four" workers, or that the measure of a person is how much money they make, especially given that I wipe bums for a living gratis. Although the "illegal drug" connection bothers me as well.

Asking her if they're studying it could be a good jumping off point, though. Thanks!

#6 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
To be honest, I'm more concerned with the idea that trash collectors and "bag boys" are somehow lesser valued than "Level Four" workers, or that the measure of a person is how much money they make, especially given that I wipe bums for a living gratis. Although the "illegal drug" connection bothers me as well.

Asking her if they're studying it could be a good jumping off point, though. Thanks!
sorry, I'll delete that last post. I just browsed through your post and thought you were discussing the fact your child brought up illegal drugs. I didn't read it all the way through.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#7 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 02:14 PM

OMG, I will never forget the day my little brother (who is an aspie, so VERY literal) came home from school and told our mom and his dad that they were druggies because they drank alcohol and. My mother hit the flipping roof.

Once she calmed down, she explained to my brother the difference between illegal drugs and drugs like caffiene, OTC, nicotine, etc. She told him that anything that was not food or water that could be ingested or inhaled and affected the body was a drug (he was little, it was a good way to explain it to him imo) and that the school was wrong in not teaching the difference. He got it. I think he was maybe, 6 at the time?

Then she gave the school hell for teaching him so negligently. I'd like to give you an example of how tactfully she handled it, but knowing my mom, she probably went in there and told them off. Lol, not a big help huh?

Without the attitude and likely cussing, the gist of it would have been what she told my brother, then something along the lines of them being hypocrites as the tylenol they kept in the office for sick kids was most assuredly a drug too. If you're going to teach kids about drugs, be responsible enough to teach them the difference between useful drugs, commonly used drugs, and illegal/harmful drugs.

This was probably 10 years ago, and she's not around to ask. Mine just started K so I have no experience with this subject yet, but it probably won't be long in coming.
#8 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM

That is CRAZY!

President of the United States must be a Level 1 job, as both our current and most recent former presidents have used illegal substances in their day.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Well, AM everyone knows that if you stay in school and don't do drugs and practice sexual abstinence, someday you'll be the CEO.

You must have missed that day at school.
Heck, you could even be president!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#10 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM

I would approach her gently and just ask, "My son mentioned that you're studying career types. Can I ask you about that?" And then, if she doesn't bring up the level issues, I might ask her about it specifically.

Did your son say that this is what they were taught? Or did he perhaps come up with these categories on his own? I can see my 11 year old compartmentalizing things like that....

You sound very calm; that will go a long way!
#11 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Please report back--I'm so curious about this! What a crock of elitist you-know-what.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#12 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraread View Post
OMG, I will never forget the day my little brother (who is an aspie, so VERY literal) came home from school and told our mom and his dad that they were druggies because they drank alcohol and. My mother hit the flipping roof.
I had a similar experience with dd#1 when she was in 1st grade. They had done some drug program in which the school apparently put cigarettes and alcohol in the same speech as heroin and meth. There was apparently also some conversation about using drugs to numb bad feelings or self medicate.

So, one day dd and I were discussing my grandparents. My grandmother had died a bit back from lung cancer and was a smoker. My grandfather died when dd was very young and she didn't remember him. I told dd that they had been married for over 50 yrs and dd said something like, 'grandma must have been so sad when he died. Is that when she started using drugs?'
#13 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Did it come from the school classroom, or the playground? I'm not sure from your initial post. I find that a lot of the crap my 1st grader is coming home with now is stuff he picks up at the playground, from his friends in the neighborhood, etc. It's not always easy for me to sift out what's from school and what's not, and what I should be dealing with from what direction.
#14 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 05:51 PM

I, too, want to know WTF this is about...I don't look down on the cashier at McDs. A tough financial year or whatever and that could be me. We need to teach kids they could be in the other person's shoes, so be respectful and kind.

Grrrr.....

Jenn
#15 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 PM

I would ask straight up:

"My Ds was talking about something he learned in class...something about level 1 - level4 jobs. I must admit, I have never heard of the term....could you tell me about it? "

Let us know what happens!

Kathy
#16 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 PM

I would be livid if this is what they're actually teaching - imagine the child whose mother is a trash collector or whose father is a bagger at the grocery store. . .
#17 of 60 Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I would be livid if this is what they're actually teaching - imagine the child whose mother is a trash collector or whose father is a bagger at the grocery store. . .
My thoughts exactly.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#18 of 60 Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM

OMG! I'm sick over this...What about the whole racial aspect of who gets the level 1 jobs? I've had more than one client tell me that they were too ashamed to tell me their profession, which usually ended uo being a picker/migrant worker, etc...Jesus. WTF!?!! Good luck to you controlling your temper on that one!
#19 of 60 Old 09-15-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I asked Michael about this. He said she didn't give specific examples of Level 1 vs Level 2 jobs. Apparently, this is some kind of "pep talk" she gives to motivate learning? She said (according to Michael) that Level 3 and 4 jobs require more education and experience, and that if you want a good job, you need to be a good learner.

Sigh. I am going to have to talk to her. I'll probably drop her a note and ask her to call me at her convenience. Or, there's a PTO meeting after school on Monday. Maybe I'll try to catch her then.

#20 of 60 Old 09-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Level 4 jobs...

sounds a bit Brave New World eh?

nothing more to say I guess :
#21 of 60 Old 09-15-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
Level 4 jobs...

sounds a bit Brave New World eh?
That is EXACTLY what DH keeps saying! He keeps walking around saying "I'm so happy I am not a Delta." He's driving me nuts.

#22 of 60 Old 09-16-2007, 12:31 AM

ooohhhhh, THAT would tick me off!

Find out where that came from and fast. Nothing like instilling prejudices in the wee ones.
#23 of 60 Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 AM

How irresponsible of her. I hate when people try ro motivate kids like that. It's so misleading and dishonest. In the community I teach in, a lot of the kids will grow up to be boatbuilders, lobstermen, or carpenters. They will be perfectly comfortable and happy--where does that fit in her caste system?
#24 of 60 Old 09-16-2007, 02:58 PM

If the teacher has been vague you could probably "clarify" her statements with your own definition of the levels. Like level one is ignorance and indifference, level four is awareness and understanding. That learning and learning how to understand is very important. And maybe talk about how your job does not define your view of the world. If he still sticks with the more education=better whatever idea, you could use it as an example of how different people think different things and how different people have different priorities.
#25 of 60 Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
President of the United States must be a Level 1 job, as both our current and most recent former presidents have used illegal substances in their day.
That's what I was thinking.

I, for one, absolutely admire and appreciate garbage pickup....I can only imagine how hard it would be without that luxery. They provide a service I'm sure the teacher would be upset to see stop at her house.
#26 of 60 Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 AM

Two things.

Do you have any idea what garbage men get paid here? More than some so-called level 3 jobs, I can tell you that.

And, I can remember a friend of mine several years ago being absolutely furious when her 7 year old got the drug talk and came home crying because mommy, you're an alcoholic and a drug user! Her crimes? She smoked a pack of cigarettes roughly every 3 to 4 days and drank approximately 2 beers after work, and not every day. :

IMO, if it takes you 3 or 4 days to kill a pack of cigarettes you aren't even a real smoker. But the idea that if you even drink 2 beers on a friday night your kids are going to freak out? Ridiculous.

OP, tell us how the chat goes. :

for intuitive readings click here :
#27 of 60 Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I, for one, absolutely admire and appreciate garbage pickup....I can only imagine how hard it would be without that luxery. They provide a service I'm sure the teacher would be upset to see stop at her house.
yeah, I lived in a place without garbage pick-up for a while... and let's just say I appreciate it all the more now. I won't tell you about the time the guy who emptied the honey bucket hoppers (basically, the village I was in didn't have any kind of piped water... you have a bucket-toilet in your house and have to dump your wee-wee and doo-doo into a communal hopper, and then they come around and collect it) quit without giving village officials time to hire someone new. That was a ripe couple of weeks.

Hug your sanitation worker.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#28 of 60 Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

So, I talked to his teacher and, sadly, it was pretty much how he relayed it, minus the money stuff. But work hard so you get a good education and a good job and are successful, blah blah blah. And she didn't seem to get how it could possibly be classist or racist.

We're seriously thinking of pulling him out, not just because of this, but because the pressure to meet benchmarks and achieve is brutal and often at the expense of actual learning. He's been very unhappy. I'd write more, but right now I'm feeling too stressed.

#29 of 60 Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 PM

I'm sorry.
#30 of 60 Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
We're seriously thinking of pulling him out, not just because of this, but because the pressure to meet benchmarks and achieve is brutal and often at the expense of actual learning. He's been very unhappy. I'd write more, but right now I'm feeling too stressed.
This is why my kids are going to a Sudbury school next year...to avoid all the crap that I have to "teach"! I can't wait for NCLB ends...:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page