How would you feel about this snack policy? (Reason for asking added to original post - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the nutrition policy below?
Fantastic! I've been looking for a school like this! 186 84.55%
Not my cup of tea, but if I liked the school I would deal 17 7.73%
Way to strict; I wouldn't send my child there 9 4.09%
Other, please explain 8 3.64%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

1  2  3 4 
Learning at School > How would you feel about this snack policy? (Reason for asking added to original post
bdavis337's Avatar bdavis337 08:58 PM 09-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
I'm my child's parent. I'll send what I want for snack, thankyouverymuch. I don't have a problem with restricting nuts if there is an allergic child in the school. Now, I do try to always send healthy snacks, but it is my decision to do so. If you want to send guidelines and suggestions, that's fine, but telling me what I can and cannot send is unacceptable.
If I read the OP correctly, this is a co-op type preschool, so whatever the parent making the snack for the day sends in, they ALL eat. So they need the allergic guidelines, etc. Not nearly the same as sending separate snacks for each kid.

moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 09:18 PM 09-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah View Post
The state licensing department requires the 2 food group thing...
In california that's not true. It's the USDA food program that requires two food groups, and that's only if the school is getting reimbursed for the food. You can't count or get reimbursed for food that parents supply.
moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 09:21 PM 09-27-2007
Has your co-op considered enrolling in the food program? Then the school could provide the snack and get reimbursed.
moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 09:24 PM 09-27-2007
Oh, love the snack policy by the way
Hannahsmummy's Avatar Hannahsmummy 11:23 PM 09-27-2007
At first I misunderstood and thought the guideline was about what a parent could send for their own child but I see it's for sharing. So, I think it's a good policy. I do have issues with people telling me what I personally HAVE to give my own child, beyond the obvious allergy issues which I am happy to comply with.
Truth be told, we do shop and eat that way anyways. It's just something about rules that get my back up!

Probably off topic but coming back to the "no homemade" stuff, that kind of thing really bothers me. I feel like we are raising a generation of food phobic kids who don't see homemade food being prepared, not anyone specific on here just in general and probably mostly mainstream. So many people don't have time or care to prepare real food from real ingredients and sit down and enjoy it together. There is little reverance for food these days which I find sad.
wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 11:30 PM 09-27-2007
moondiapers- slightly off topic but with the "2 food group" thing...how are conflicting allergies handled? My dd's play school group is only 8 kiddos but those 8 kids include "no dairy of any kind", "no eggs", and "no soy". And on top of that there are a few families with religious dietary guidelines. So in terms of a group snack that covers a fruit/veg AND a protein what would the state guidelines do? We generally just have apples or crackers (approved brands) or grapes or carrots or muffins (approved brands). It's tough finding things that will appeal to a group of 2 year olds that they can ALL eat.
marybethorama's Avatar marybethorama 10:55 AM 09-28-2007
Okay, if I had to provide the snack a few times a year, I would have no problem sticking to rules like that BUT if my child brought their own snack in every day it would be way too restrictive.

Not that I'm a fan of HFCS and transfats but there are times when I let the kids eat them.
Mom2J's Avatar Mom2J 05:28 PM 09-28-2007
I think it's a great policy! I love the idea of everyone helping with the snacks, and I can totally see kids learning to enjoy new foods b/c of it. Even though I can see someone thinking it was too restrictive, I bet if there wasn't some policy in place, a lot of parents would default to easy, junky things thinking "Oh, it's only 1 day". Meanwhile the kids are eating this snack EVERY day (or every school day at least), so it adds up.

Hope you don't mind me borrowing your list for my own use- I'm always looking for new, healthy snack ideas!
sarasprings's Avatar sarasprings 10:20 PM 09-28-2007
My son was in a coop and a lot of the parents brought food that I don't consider healthful (fruit gummies, jello, etc). Luckily, my son opted not to eat those. Everyone brought two different things for snack and some of us brought three. I think partly it's common courtesy to have a choice for the children. It also helped with food allergies since the fruit or vegetable was always safe for all kids.
lerlerler's Avatar lerlerler 10:39 PM 09-28-2007
sounds like the formal version of our co-ops policy.

our first meeting - our snack policy was described as " we'd love if you only shopped at whole foods or grew your own snacks... but realistically? lay off the artificial sweeteners, neon colors and HFCS"

yesterday we broght "ants on a log" (celery w/ peanut butter) TJs whole wheat pretzels and organic milk... wednesday's snack, i brought TJs musroom tortilini and grapes

both big hits
Hey Mama!'s Avatar Hey Mama! 10:55 PM 09-28-2007
Love it! My dd's school policy is that it cannot be homemade (bummer) but nothing else. At the school I teach at, they don't have a policy about anything. A kindergartener brought some cupcakes the day I subbed and the first ingredient was sugar, followed by trans fat. Ymmmm! :
ctdoula's Avatar ctdoula 10:57 PM 09-28-2007
I WISH my dd's preschool/Kindergarten had a policy like that!
sarasprings's Avatar sarasprings 11:12 PM 09-28-2007
I didn't finish my last post. I really like the policy. It's too easy for kids to get junk at school when parents are bringing in food once in a while.
4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 12:28 AM 09-29-2007
Sounds good to me. I didn't like ds' school's policy which had no candy or soda but allowed trans fats. I'd much rather he eat straight sugar than partially hydrogenated cookies which is what they were frequently served.
felix23's Avatar felix23 03:16 PM 09-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Store bought? That is nuts.

While I love the policy, I don't understand why the parents bring snack in for the whole class a few times a year, instead of just packing their own kids' snack every day.

I've never heard of that happening here.
The last year that I was teaching preschool I got in big trouble with the health inspector for allowing parents to bring in homemade items. He just happened to be in the room right when a mom walks in with homemade whole-wheat pumpkin muffins for her dd's birthday. He said that everything that we served had to be store bought in a unopened package since they could not inspect people's homes. He showed me the sanitation law that stated this. I had no clue (neither did the principal) that this was the law or I would have never encouraged parents to make things to bring. This is in North Carolina at a private church run preshool.

And I love the list of food items!
bdavis337's Avatar bdavis337 07:28 PM 09-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Store bought? That is nuts.

While I love the policy, I don't understand why the parents bring snack in for the whole class a few times a year, instead of just packing their own kids' snack every day.

I've never heard of that happening here.
Store bought b/c then the school can't get in trouble if a parent cooks something in an unsanitary manner/location and a child gets ill as a result. Store bought removes that possibility, as those foods are prepared in a controlled environment that has been inspected by the health department.
jeca's Avatar jeca 11:07 PM 09-29-2007
NM, as I see it's just for preschool I missed that at first.
MomInCalifornia's Avatar MomInCalifornia 02:55 AM 10-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
In california that's not true. It's the USDA food program that requires two food groups, and that's only if the school is getting reimbursed for the food. You can't count or get reimbursed for food that parents supply.
We are not on the food program, but still have to follow the regulaions in Title 22, which is where the 2 food groups at snack comes from. We confirmed this with our licensing analyst. We are only a part day, non-profit preschool...no public funds, full day care or elementary school program. Not sure if that makes a difference?
urchin_grey's Avatar urchin_grey 03:02 AM 10-01-2007
I think its wonderful.

And for the record, I wouldn't send my child to any school that served kool-aid. :
popplers's Avatar popplers 04:59 PM 10-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
It sounds good to me, but honestly I just prefer having each family send a snack for their individual child each day. There is no way to accomodate everyone and then the koolaid mom could send that for her kid if she so desired.
:
moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 05:12 PM 10-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
moondiapers- slightly off topic but with the "2 food group" thing...how are conflicting allergies handled? My dd's play school group is only 8 kiddos but those 8 kids include "no dairy of any kind", "no eggs", and "no soy". And on top of that there are a few families with religious dietary guidelines. So in terms of a group snack that covers a fruit/veg AND a protein what would the state guidelines do? We generally just have apples or crackers (approved brands) or grapes or carrots or muffins (approved brands). It's tough finding things that will appeal to a group of 2 year olds that they can ALL eat.
It's any 2 of the following 4 groups
meat or alternate
fruit/veggie
milk
grain

So apples and crackers would be creditable.
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 06:59 PM 10-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
Not an issue at all!...thats how we shop anyhow! hehe

Except for this:

Now I understand some pepole have serious allergies. I have a friend with a daughter with a serious milk allergy - and I mean SERIOUS!... But she doesnt expect everyone around here to make sure everything is diaryfree!lol... She had taught her daughter (who is only 2) how to ask if anything has milk in it and how to get them to check the ingredients for her!
I hope you all dont think I am a horrible person, but my son doenst have a nut allergy, and if he really liked something that fit that bill BUT had nut products in it, I shouldnt expect him to not have it because of others - 'others' should be taught the same and if the children are too young, then the main caregivers should be taught how to monitor this so all is well and safe! .... I mean the world just doesnt work that way though does it?:
Part of the problem with peanut allergies and nut allergies are that some kids react by just touching a surface a child who has had peanuts/nuts has touched. We had to leave the playground yesterday because the ice cream truck came by and some kids boughts ice cream cones with nuts on them. If they had touched my daughter or touched a swing and then my dd touched the swing, we could end up in the hospital.

OP, I like the policy! Good work.
greeny's Avatar greeny 07:54 PM 10-01-2007
If it's just a short (2.5 hour) preschool, I think having the 2 food group requirement is a bit much.

Our family does not buy HFCS, artificial sweeteners, trans fats, though we might eat them when out somewhere. Still, though, I'd rather see the list as "suggestions" than as "guidelines." In other words, I would prefer it to be phrased as "we'd like you to stick to these types of foods" instead of "you must stick to these types of foods."

For me, it's just the whole I-hate-to-be-told-what-to-do thing, I think.
karlin's Avatar karlin 12:30 PM 10-02-2007
I love it. Personally, it's not strict enough. We don't do processed sugar except on special occasions. If you had to parent my DS after he eats sugar, you'd understand why.

(p.s. As a family with a lot of food allergies (DS:corn DH:soy Me: peanuts), I really, really appreciate it when someone makes an effort to accommodate us.)
Jillie's Avatar Jillie 12:50 AM 10-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
Part of the problem with peanut allergies and nut allergies are that some kids react by just touching a surface a child who has had peanuts/nuts has touched. We had to leave the playground yesterday because the ice cream truck came by and some kids boughts ice cream cones with nuts on them. If they had touched my daughter or touched a swing and then my dd touched the swing, we could end up in the hospital.

OP, I like the policy! Good work.
Just curious, what if someone had nuts before coming to the park, how would you know? I'm just wondering how you can ever play somewhere, not knowing what might be there. Do you wipe things off? I just am trying to picture how someone with such an allergy functions daily when it is that serious. TIA
Oh, and I love the policy. It has inspired me to start a spin off thread.
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 12:55 AM 10-03-2007
We wipe off all tabels and benches before she sits on them. We obviously can't wipe off the entire playground, but I keep a close eye on her and if she starts to have a reaction, I dose her with Benadryl and keep her close to me. We get a lot of mystery hives. We've been really lucky in that we haven't ended up in the hospital (though we did have a severe episode where we ran to our docs, this was before we had the Epi-pen.)
happyfrog's Avatar happyfrog 01:07 AM 10-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
Just curious, what if someone had nuts before coming to the park, how would you know? I'm just wondering how you can ever play somewhere, not knowing what might be there. Do you wipe things off? I just am trying to picture how someone with such an allergy functions daily when it is that serious. TIA
My son's peanut allergy has increased so we can no longer go to friend's houses that I know have generous usage of peanut butter as it's impossible for them to clean up all peanut residue from all surfaces - esp if the family allows meals to be eaten in locations other than the kitchen/dining room.

We don't go to public parks anymroe - mostly becuase *I* have a latex allergy and when I wear shorts and sit/kneel on those new rubber 'floors' I react with hives so it's not fun for me.

Our allergist told me originally he was optimistic my son would/might outgrow his peanut allergy if we had complete avoidance. According to his last testing - his results are higher than last time, so that possibility is now off the table.

Our hope and desire is to avoid all contact with peanut and related products until our child is older (he's 3 now) and can protect himself with what he can/can't eat - right now, that's not possible as he's very trusting of everyone. So yeah, we are kind of secluded if his friends can't meet him at our house or the library . . .. sigh. . . .

BettyAnn
HoneymoonBaby's Avatar HoneymoonBaby 12:23 AM 10-04-2007
So, what happens if the parents refuse to follow the policy? We have a similar policy at our co-op, but half the parents ignore it and I'm getting frustrated. The director and teachers don't do anything about it except for occasionally "remind" us. But there is no enforcement and DS is getting CRAP food on a pretty regular basis. What would your school do in this situation?
MomInCalifornia's Avatar MomInCalifornia 03:50 AM 10-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
So, what happens if the parents refuse to follow the policy? We have a similar policy at our co-op, but half the parents ignore it and I'm getting frustrated. The director and teachers don't do anything about it except for occasionally "remind" us. But there is no enforcement and DS is getting CRAP food on a pretty regular basis. What would your school do in this situation?
If a parent brought a normal snack that happens to contain trans fats or HFCS like bagels or crackers, we would serve it and just remind them for next time, no biggie...

If a parent brought mini marshmellows or lucky charms a teacher would kindly explaine we can't serve it and we would serve our "back up crackers" that we keep in the kitchen with what ever else they brought that was okay to serve. This has never been an issue though.

Even if it is the most healthy snack ever, if it contains nut products, we won't serve it.
angelcat's Avatar angelcat 04:04 AM 10-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Remember the teen with a penut allergy who died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut product that day?
people need to stop saying that. It did NOT happen like that. I forget the details, but it WASN"T form kidssing her boyfriend. I've had to post links about it on almsot every board I go to, including here. I don't have the time to post a link right now, though.
1  2  3 4 

Up