How would you feel about this snack policy? (Reason for asking added to original post - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the nutrition policy below?
Fantastic! I've been looking for a school like this! 186 84.55%
Not my cup of tea, but if I liked the school I would deal 17 7.73%
Way to strict; I wouldn't send my child there 9 4.09%
Other, please explain 8 3.64%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2007, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that's a great policy. It is pretty restrictive, but I think the fact that you give a looooooong list of suggestions means that every parent can find a simple way to bring healthy, appropriate snacks. Heck, I want to print that list to take grocery shopping! (Although I only have Safeway to choose from, no TJ here.)

I also think the philosophy behind serving a group snack is very beneficial in a pre-school setting. Sharing food together is a central part of social development. Children also get a chance to eat foods they may not be familiar with - and are more likely to do so if they see other children eating the same foods.

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
So, what happens if the parents refuse to follow the policy? We have a similar policy at our co-op, but half the parents ignore it and I'm getting frustrated. The director and teachers don't do anything about it except for occasionally "remind" us. But there is no enforcement and DS is getting CRAP food on a pretty regular basis. What would your school do in this situation?
If this happens in one of the classrooms at my son's school (each classroom has a different policy) this particular teacher refuses to serve the snack and sends it back home with the child. I am fairly certain that she keeps back-up snacks in the classroom in case this happens.

I am appalled at some of the snacks that parents send to my son's class. The teacher sends home reminders once a month, but I think it comes down to that people do not like to be told what to do and they buy whatever is easiest and most familiar to them.

OP- I love your guidelines and would love more strict guidelines for my son's class.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM

That sounds like a wonderful snack policy for personal use, but unless the snacks are being shared, I would say that it's none of the schools business what my child eats. I didn't read the whole thread though, so if it is a shared snack, I think that those are awesome parameters.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Okay, oops! I guess that I misread the OP. (NAK, go figure )

So yes, I think that it's a wonderful snack policy- probably the first I have seen that I would actually be comfortable with.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibee View Post
That sounds like a wonderful snack policy for personal use, but unless the snacks are being shared, I would say that it's none of the schools business what my child eats. I didn't read the whole thread though, so if it is a shared snack, I think that those are awesome parameters.
This policy only applies to snacks that are for the entire class...

Parents can send what ever they want for children's lunches as long as it does not contain any nuts or nut products.

ETA: I just saw your follow up post :-)
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM

That's almost exactly the same kind of guidelines we have for our co-op preschool -- except that instead of a peanut restriction, we have a dairy (including casein and whey) restriction. Oh, and we do allow 100% fruit juices now and then.

We each are required to take snack up to 18 times a year, and sometimes it gets hard to come up with new things to take. The kids eat a lot of pretzels and canteloupe.

But, we have a few families who are clamoring for even more restrictive guidelines to dissallow any food which is not organic, whole, and raw. They have not yet answered the question that many of us have about how we are to provide two food groups, since all they will allow are raw fruits and/or vegetables.

If the guidelines become that restrictive, we will probably start looking for a new school. I just simply can't afford the cost of providing enough organic fruits and vegetables for that many children 18 times a year.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 PM

I am a teacher and most kids in my school are overweight with low vitamin levels. I think the guidelines are wise. I hate it when parents get snitty about no peanuts. A kid's life could be on the line! How insensitive can you get?

User Tag List