wwyd? inappropriate forced religion and patriotism - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: forced patriotism and religion wwyd?
I'd skip the program 48 100.00%
I'd go and wear and ipod or earplugs 6 75.00%
I would protest the reference to God 24 100.00%
I would protest the forced patriotism 23 100.00%
I wouldn't have a problem with any of it 27 100.00%
I would be offended by both and complain to the school board 73 100.00%
As long as it isn't the Christmas Shoes or Grandma/Reindeer song, meh 23 100.00%
Other 17 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sigh

My dcs just informed me that yet again, their holiday program at school will be featuring God bless the USA.

This really annoys the cr@p out of me. There is supposed to be a separation of church and state first of all, and secondly they are doing the song to show support for our troops who are fighting a war I don't support! I support a person's right to decide for themselves to join, I just don't support the reason we are there, yk? I think it's offensive that they just assume it's ok to put parents in the position of being the oddball who protests if they don't want their children to sing about God or how he blesses our country. :

If you love our country, great, and if you love God, great, but I think it's lousy that they just assume everyone is going to be delighted to participate in this. Of course, it could just be that the song is lousy and that annoys me more. DId I mention that they have performed this song on at least 4 other occasions in the year that we have been here?

Would it be equally offensive if they sang God Bless America?

Is there any way to approach this other than to grit my teeth and say nothing?

Somebody help me gain some perspective on this.

for intuitive readings click here :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If these issues meant a lot to me, and I was truly offended by the song, then I'd take it up with the school- let them know that the song offends me and why, and that I don't want my DC participating unless they take the song out of the program.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM

I'd totally protest this and pitch a fit. And I'm married to someone in the military. It's ridiculous to use kids to peddle that crap in a public school.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

What if one of your dcs has already been the target of bullying and you don't want to make them stand out any more? I'm thinking I may not want to fight this battle, but do you think I'm nuts for finding this whole thing to be offensive? Dsd is getting along better and I kind of hate to go stir things up, but the whole thing really pisses me off. :

At least the repetitive Jingle Bell Rock dance in Mean Girls was funny, yk? I guess I should be thankful they chose a song that most of them can sing

Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 PM

I would have similar feelings about the song, however I wouldn't make a huge stink about it. I would judge whether to attend on how much my kids cared about it, I would not force them to sit out something they had been looking forward to and were very excited about. I might also write a letter or speak to the principal depending on what my relationship with the administration is.

For example, at my child's current school (private Montessori) I would have no problem going directly to the Director and expressing my concerns, because I'm very involved and know her and I know she'd take them seriously. If I thought I might come off badly speaking directly I might write a letter because I can choose my words more carefully that way.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 PM

I would object on all counts.

That is supposedly the reason the white men immigrated and stole the land now called the united states... to escape the oppression of the church in England.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Are they singing songs from other religions?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Can you make an appointment to talk to the principle about this, and not involve your kids? I know it's hard to feel like you could be a reason they get teased at school. But if you go in calmly and express your concerns no reason the other kids should even know about it, right? Even if it is after the show, maybe your talk will make a difference for future shows.

I am very against this war. I would take my kids to anti war protests. But I might not make a big deal out of that at school. The "God" thing though I would.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Yep. That would annoy me. And I would even add one other thing about it that bugs me and that is w/ the implication that God should bless *just* the USA, and not other countries.

I realize that is not what they are saying, but I have been to events such as you described, and I definitely felt that. And, not that it really matters, but I am Christian and gung ho about separation of church and state.

I would complain to the school board for sure.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 PM

And don't vote for Romney if you don't want it happening daily!:

Plus "God Bless the USA" was a craptastic song, written to surf a patriotic pahse and then hauled out to make some spare change after 9/11. Honestly, I would have a heck of a lot less of a problem with traditional patriotic songs ( I remember singing all of them for a 4th grade performance...DH is still impressed that I can sing the theme song for all of the military branches..and we're not service people)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM

It wouldn't bother me. It wouldn't be my choice of songs if I were planning the holiday show, but it's not something I would get too worked up about.

If it were my DD's show, I wouldn't skip the show or take an iPod, because regardless of the material, DD has worked really hard and has practiced a lot for her show, and she is so excited about it. It would devastate her to know that I was skipping out on it. If I felt that the material were questionable, I might take the opportunity to have a one on one chat with her about it, but I doubt I'd take it any further than that. In the long run, I don't think that God Bless the USA is going to cause any damage to her.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM

I voted that I don't have a problem with it - but that's me. If you really are bothered by it, I think you should mention something to the Principal of the school - he/she may really be unaware that it offends some people, especially if no one has brought it to their attention.

My husband is in the military too and they sing that song a lot in the schools around here - but I'm sure they might reconsider if someone really had legitimate problems with it - I've seen grown men cry around here when that song comes on because it does invoke a strong sense of patriotism I think. I do know a mom who feels the same way you do (her husband is military as well) and she doesn't send her daughter to those programs because of it - she even writes a note for her to go to the library during rehearsal time/music class.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM

I'd throw a fit... but I'm a teacher so it'd have been thrown during the choosing of the theme.

Seriously... BLARGH!

Oh, just read the thing about your Dsd... that kind of complicates things. Perhaps going to the principal, stating both your objections and your reasons for not wishing to make your objections known to a wider audience would be a good compromise? Seems like any principal worth his/her salt would, bare minimum, be respectful of your desire to keep your dsd out of this.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post

Plus "God Bless the USA" was a craptastic song, written to surf a patriotic pahse and then hauled out to make some spare change after 9/11.
You rock!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

lol @ the option of "as long as it isn't Christmas Shoes"

I loooathe that song so much that I was going to do a lyric by lyric critical analysis of it in TAO as its own thread...but then thought that might be kind of weird... I mean, my toes CURL when that song comes on (and not in good way either). In the most horrible, horrible way.

I feel similarly about the song "God Bless The USA". It gives me goosebumps (again, in the horrible, horrific way, not a good way).

Nevermind religion in schools (which is a serious topic) I would protest that song solely based on the fact that it is so incredibly cheesy, offensive (to music in general for starters) and embarrassment-inducing that I feel I have to scrub it off me in a hot shower every time I hear it.

That goes for Christmas Shoes too.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:15 PM

I agree that that song is about as Craptastic as it gets. Did Toby Keith sing it originally?

I would be furious too, and I would protest AND take it up with the school board. Are there any other parents who agree with you that you can join together with? Even if it is just you, I would talk to the school board, program director, and principle.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Do I need to look Christmas Shoes up on the web, or am I better off not knowing?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Do I need to look Christmas Shoes up on the web, or am I better off not knowing?
That's it, when dd is in bed tonight I am going to do a lyric by lyric critical analysis of it in TAO.

I have to bring God into it a second when I say that song is GOD AWFUL.

Just wrong. It is just sick and wrong and so poorly written and AH I could go on... I am sorry for hijacking, but it is similar to God Bless The USA in SUCKINESS.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM

I'm a firm believer in letting the school know when they are screwing up. I also let them know when they are doing things well.

I wouldn't start with the school board. I'd start with the teacher and principal. But a fit I would most definitely pitch.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Stuff like this makes me so angry. I'd definately share my concerns to the school and although I voted that I'd protest/not attend the program, I would have to consider how important it is for my child to attend before making a final decision.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
noooooooooooooooo. don't look. don't listen. shield your eyes and ears.

save yourself, for some of us it's too late.

Enjoy this one instead.

I would be more offended by the religon issue than the patriotism. You can always discuss the war at home. I feel very strongly about religon in schools.
What about all the little Muslim (or whatever religon) at the school? Do they have to sing the god song too?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
I agree that that song is about as Craptastic as it gets. Did Toby Keith sing it originally?
No, but he sings an equally puke-worthy one about 911.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
I would be more offended by the religon issue than the patriotism. You can always discuss the war at home. I feel very strongly about religon in schools.
What about all the little Muslim (or whatever religon) at the school? Do they have to sing the god song too?
Muslims believe in God they just call him by another name, Allah. Atheists, however, do not believe in God. I hope the OP brings this to the attention of her schools principle and they change to another song.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Chiming in as a Christian with 2 family members currently serving overseas...

That song annoys the crap out of me. Not because of the Rah Rah Rah, go USA or the part about God...it just irritates me I don't like it.

That said, it doesn't annoy me enough to make a big stink other than maybe sighing and rolling my eyes as it starts.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM

I would protest the forced patriotism. It is not the school's job to advocate a political view. What annoys me about the hyperpatriot movement is how they act like it isn't even a controversial political opinion; it's just a "surely we can all agree..." thing. No, we don't all agree!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Good questions all around.

I think anyone who doesn't fit into the Christian mold just doesn't say anything. It annoys me a great deal, but I don't want to cause a problem for my kids. Anywhere else I have always just spoken up without worry, but since DSD just finally started fitting in I really don't want to rock the boat without a good reason. Well, more than good, really.

I'm just glad to know I'm not completely out of my mind for being offended by it. I keep wondering if I have any Wiccan neighbors, or Muslims, or any of several other religions. You have to remember this is the school that on multicultural day did 'woo woo' Native Americans last year. : The Holiday Program is still referred to as the Christmas Program iirc. No other religions are represented in the program in December.

So it's a combination of WTF are they thinking? plus I can't stand forced religion or forced patriotism, I can't stand this idiotic war over oil, and the song is utterly suck-tastic to boot.

So many reasons not to like it, and so many reasons any action I take is likely to backfire. : But you guys make me feel better anyway. Just knowing I'm not the only one who thinks it isn't appropriate helps.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Considering I'm an athiest, yeah, I have a HUGE problem with it. Even though I am not raising my children as athiest, I also dont want god pushed on them either.....

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 PM

I guess it would depend on how your kids feel about it.
If it would cause them pain (embarrassment, bullying, teacher/principal with grudge, etc.) I'd let it go, grit your teeth and put in ear plugs.
Do you have any other school options? It sounds like this school might not be a great fit.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List