Kindergarten Homework Project - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd attends a private language immersion school. It's one-way immersion, so the kids speak either French or Spanish all day long. Dd's been there now for 3 years, now in Kindy, so she's fluent at her age appropriate level.

Dd got her first homework ever this past Friday. It's due this coming Thursday. The project is for the kids to put together a presentation (with posterboard) in their target language on a planet or other body of space. Dd has Venus. We (together) found some pictures on the net, printed them out, she cut and pasted them on a poster, and I used Wiki Spanish to get about 1/2 a dozen easy facts on Venus. I helped her memorize them, and printed out some of the facts for her to copy onto the poster.

Yesterday, my dh was talking with another father, and when dh mentioned something about helping dd with her project (these kids are 5, mind you), the father said, "The kids should be doing this all by themselves."

WHAT??

Am I right to think that a kid of 5 shouldn't be expected to find websites on their own, understand what the facts are, print, and put together their own 2 minute presentation? I mean kids need help at this age, yeah? And to do it all in 5 days? The school is highly academic, and yes, there are a lot of smart kids, but I wonder if my expectations are off concerning how much help kids need at this age.

Thoughts?
#2 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, with no responses, I guess I have to assume that I was in the wrong here. I just thought with this being the very first homework she's brought home, trying to guide her through it was being a responsible parent rather than just letting her do it all on her own. I can imagine it would have been really frustrating for her. Her reading skills are not good enough to understand science yet and I doubt she would have known what were simple, but important points and what weren't. Guess my thinking was off.
#3 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM

I don't think you were wrong. I think youposted your question at a not busy time. So here is a bump

Also, at 5, I am surprised they have homework at all. So, yes, I think it is reasonablefor mom or dad to help. And I certainly would not allow my 5 year old to surf the web unsupervised. I think you handled the situation fine and the other dad is probably concerned abotu parents who overmanage their kids homework, ie the science project from a 5 year old that looks like a NASA experiment.
#4 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM

You could ask the teacher. My Dd is 7 yrs and I doubt that she would be able to do this project all on her own. Plus I would not want her wandering the internet looking up info all on her own.

I think that the other dad is off base.
#5 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 PM

I agree that I think the other father was mistaken. The project as you described it would be beyond my kindergarten aged child's ability without assistance (and he is very bright). I think the assistance you provided was reasonable and you assisted your DD in doing her part of the "work".

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#6 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies (and bump). This is the first and only homework for the year, so I'm very new to the concept of helping with homework. I was thinking that I really had no clue what to do, but you've helped me understand that my I'm more on target than I thought. Thanks!
#7 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to ask the teacher what they expect. I think it sounds like you did a perfect job of guiding her, but letting her do the work. I know my 5yo couldn't do anything that you described without help from us. I think it sounds like a lovely project!

My DS is in Kindergarten and we don't have homework either. I'm not looking forward to it!
#8 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 PM

My DD just had her her first project assignment this past week (she gets homework 1-2x per week). The teacher was explicit that we should help them look up facts on the computer and we could help with spelling, but they needed to do all drawing and writing themselves. The assignment was to pick a polar animal, draw a picture and fill in the blanks with several facts (e.g. what do you call their babies, how many legs do they have, what do they eat).
#9 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM

I think it sounds reasonable.

I wouldn't expect Kinders to be able to read well enough to do their own research. The cutting and pasting--- yes. The choosing the pictures--- yes. Actually getting the stuff--- no way. What, should they also drive themselves to the store and pick up the glue

#10 of 12 Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My DD is in kindergarten and they had a project earlier in the school year that had to be done along with parents. Perhaps it's supposed to be a family project and they just didn't state that when they told you about it. I always assume they are family projects when a child is that young so I help them anyway. In fact, I automatically helped my son until he was much older.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#11 of 12 Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM

That sounds like a big project for Kindergarten. I know that my dd wouldn't be able to do that without help, so I don't think you are wrong.
#12 of 12 Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

First off that sounds like a project my dd would love. Her homework is usually things like a sheet of paper to copy numbers or letters on. Sometimes a book to read or something to color in a color by number type thing. I also can't imagine a kindergarten student doing all that work by themselves. I think the other father was way off base on his expectations. I know there were projects my parents helped me with when I was in middle school although that was usually more like finding supplies or resources. For us part of being a parent is being very involved in the work they are doing and knowing exactly what is going on with their class.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page