easing the transition to Montessori - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-18-2002, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son, now 12 mo will be attending a toddler program at a Montessori school when he turns 18 mo. I've observed the class several times and it looks like such a big jump from what he's doing now. I want him to enjoy his time there and not be too stressed by the fairly strict order with which the class is run. Is there anything I can start doing with him now to prepare him for the class? Do I have to run my (very "casual") home like a Montessori school?
#2 of 2 Old 03-20-2002, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi Kanga, I just pulled ds out of the waldorf parent toddler program because I felt he got stressed. And its such a lovely enviroment and toys etc etc, I would suggest just be open to whatever your son feels ok with!
This experience made me feel like theres nothing like home for ds you know, home the way it is, the way he knows it, its really home sweet home for him.
I was all excited to go myself but he didnt really seem to need it, it was more for myself I guess.
Maybe later he will like it a lot, well see.

Your babe might just love the montessori program, if you want to give him some familiarity with it you can sing some songs from the program or play in the way they do there, same kind of toys and materials, still the change is going to be huge because is a different place with more people, noises, smells, etc etc. But if he knows some songs or games that might happen, he will feel more like "hey I know this"!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page