#61 of 66 Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#62 of 66 Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM

There is a "The Door" worship place in my sister's old neighborhood. It is a very low income area that has a high substance abuse population and a lot of crime.
When I first saw it I thought it looked "cultish" maybe because the people outside looked rough like they were coming down off something. I think this church fishes these kind of lost souls. I am sure they are looking for help, handout ect. There has been a few times I drove through that neighborhood and saw some crazy things. I would hate to think that these people were at my kid's school.

I am a Christian and I like to go to church with my family. We don't avoid talking about hell but we don't tell anyone they are going there. I don't think it is appropriate to scare people into church. They have to want to serve or worship.
#63 of 66 Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM

There is a "The Door" worship place in my sister's old neighborhood. It is a very low income area that has a high substance abuse population and a lot of crime.
When I first saw it I thought it looked "cultish" maybe because the people outside looked rough like they were coming down off something. I think this church fishes these kind of lost souls. I am sure they are looking for help, handout ect. There has been a few times I drove through that neighborhood and saw some crazy things. I would hate to think that these people were at my kid's school.

I am a Christian and I like to go to church with my family. We don't avoid talking about hell but we don't tell anyone they are going there. I don't think it is appropriate to scare people into church. They have to want to serve or worship.
#64 of 66 Old 03-11-2008, 02:37 PM

USAmma, I know of which church you speak. We have one up here, as a matter of fact, called The Potter's House. If I'm not mistaken, they're run by the same people.

Folks, the group she's talking about is NOT nice at all. They scare the bejesus out of me, frankly. They are all about frightening, in-your-face propaganda, and they actually seem to enjoy traumatizing and scarring young children with their vulgar public displays of such things as aborted fetuses and real, live depictions of the Passion (in a 4th of July parade, no less) that have blood and guts flowing freely. This is a group that has been known to dunk children's hands into buckets of pig's blood and tell them that is what will happen to them if they don't dedicate their lives to Christ.

They have a "nightclub" here for teens...and send their own children out to "recruit" other kids to come to the events...sounds like fun, except when they lock the doors and don't allow the kids to even go pee during their indoctrination speeches. They target newcomers to the community who haven't been warned...and when they decide that this church isn't for them...they proceed to harassing phone calls, showing up at places of work, and knocking on doors.

I would consider them to be a low level terrorist group, similar to the Phelps...and if my kid brought anything home from school from this group, I would have a heart attack. They are not Mormons or JWs....their proselytizing is NOT harmless...and I'm really, really glad that USAmma took it up with the school. I would probably also contact the mother who gave the tract to my kid and give her a hearty what-for.....make it PERFECTLY clear that terrible, horrible things will happen if she EVER contacts my kid ever again, in any way.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#65 of 66 Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Wow, mesa, that's scary!
#66 of 66 Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
I think the school needs to be encouraged to come up with one, consistantly applied standard. Could be "No religious materials to be distributed on school property during school hours". Could be "Its within a student's first amendement rights to pass out religious literature during lunch". Whatever, publicize, enforce it and then tell everyone they need to live by the same standard.

My school has a "no flyers" rule. It's a kinda funny rule, but it started with Boy Scouts wanted to hand out flyers about meetings and some people not liking that. The school can't really pick and choice which organizations can hand out flyers so no one can. I don't know if that is the solution since it also means we no longer get flyers from the bowling alley, parks and rec, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page