Mothering Forum banner

Are they serious?

4K views 65 replies 43 participants last post by  FIJI Water 
#1 ·
I have a much younger sibling. She is 12 years old.

My mom and I were talking tonight about an unrelated incident. Then my mom brought up the fact that my little sis was so upset and not wanting to go to school tomorow.

I asked why and my mom told me that they sent home a letter to the parents today telling them to make sure your child is wearing a bra to school tomorow. The letter went on to say that the children are all going to be required to go into the cafeteria and remove their shirts and be screened for scoliosis.

My little sister is absolutely horrified at the thought of having to take her shirt off in front of everyone. I can imagine she isn't the only girl who is very upset about this.

My mom called the school and they told her that this is mandatory and the only way to get out of it would be to have a sworn afidavit stating that it is against your religious beliefs.

WTH?

#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhoneypie View Post
When we had the scoliosis test it was during gym individually in the locker room with a female. And we never had mandatory showers after gym. (We did have to change clothes though.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
We got to keep our shirts on though. We lined up then hunched over & the nurse lifted the backs of our shirts very discreetly.
This is exactly how it was for me at school. There was actually two girls and two nurses at a time in the locker room. One girl would have her back checked while the other faced the other way and was weighed. I don't remember being embarrassed or traumatized. But in this situation I would be at that school making sure they didn't make my daughter strip in a cafeteria in front of a bunch of people. That is horrible. And the principal, nurse and whoever else in charge would rue the day they made my child cry.

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
Schools around here also make it seem like you 'have' to have vaccines too, but that's not true. You won't find THEM telling people that though. The forms say 'Four doses of XYZ vaccine are required.', so if you didn't know better, you'd think it was just that...required.
This was something I thought about. The vax debate has a lot more importance than having your spine checked for scoliosis. Surely they wouldn't require it to be done if the child doesn't want to do it at school. They accept children in to schools even if they haven't been vax'd if they have letters.

#56 ·
very sad update

I was never tested for this in school but we did have mandatory "group showers" which made me almost throw up every gymn day because I didn't want to do it.

also in my neck of the woods all immunization is done at the school -- always has been -- even in the 60's and 70's when I was in school and still is at my DS school.

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
How the heck is it their business to do scoliosis screenings... wouldn't it be something that'd be obvious if it was bad enough to cause a problem? What happens if you have it? Do they FORCE you to go have surgery to correct it? I don't understand why they're bothering at all. what am i missing?

In my state there is a law that mandates that schools do this. Not sure why. . .

#60 ·
The most common form of scoliosis develops about the time of puberty. Prior to then, there may have been no signs.

That said, doing the screening in public, with everyone prestent...not cool. I think when I had it done, the nurse (or PE Teacher , or both, I don't remmver) just checked us before gym, while we were in uniform. The shirts were thin enough that any problem could be seen.

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganf View Post
This was how they did it when I was in school too.
However, I think it is wrong for a school to be doing ANY health care. They should only be TEACHING about preventitive health practices, the actual PRACTICING belongs at home or at the health care provider chosen by each family.
I would absolutely refuse too.
ITA. I hate it when schools interfere and intervene like this.

#66 ·
I went to a public high school, and I had to have the same test. I think it was back in 2000, or 2001. But, there was no note sent home to my mom, and it was something every child got called into the nurses office (alone) and all the shirts were left on. They had us just bend over and feel along our spine. It was no biggie. I can't believe that they would do such a thing to young kids, and right when they are all going through puberty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.