Pathetically unprepared for a Waldorf interview TOMORROW, please help me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2003, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Pathetically unprepared for a Waldorf interview TOMORROW, please help me!

First off let me tell you that I am having my meeting with our area Waldorf School here in Germany and my German is nicht zu gut! This meeting is going to be really interesting.
Anyway, besides the language barrier, I have little in mind to ask the teacher who I will be meeting. This is my first ever meeting with someone who may be caring for my baby and I’m at a loss for what to talk to her/him about.
I’m so bad off that I don’t really know what to ask you all. Here are my ideas and if anyone could have a small dialogue with me I’ll be around the computer most of the day.
I don’t know what’s wrong with me or why I’ve been putting this off. Maybe I’m just not ready for my babe to go to school.

My questions:

Teacher to child ratio?
Practical stuff, time/days/holidays and etc.
I’ll ask how she will be initiated into the class room
Procedure if we have a rough start
I’ll ask if it’s okay that I don’t have a “handy” (cell phone)
Should I ask about taking her to the toilet?
Should I ask if our not-so-Waldorf-inspired home will conflict with the school?

Is this pathetic or what?

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a huge checklist of questions to ask at school at OpenWaldorf:

http://www.openwaldorf.com/checklist.html

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, that sight was scary to me. What’s up with the black crayon? I did find it interesting and thank you but I think it mostly made me realize how little I know about Waldorf.

I did think of a few things to add to my list:

Can you describe a typical day at your school?

Would you please describe briefly for me what your interpretation of the Waldorf philosophy.

Some of the things I have read about Waldorf seem rather intense. Do you feel that your school’s philosophy is very radical? (Do any of you know what I mean my this…how would you ask this type of question?)

How does your school differ from the other prekindergardens and kindergardens in the area?

Can you think of anything that we may do in our home life that would conflict with Aya’s experience at the school? Do you provide or request that parents provide or restrict anything in the child’s home life to compliment the school?

My only experience with Waldorf schools is from the US, can you tell me if you know of any differences?

Old 09-29-2003, 01:00 PM

The open waldorf site might seem a little intimidating, but I think you ought to try and read through all of it, not just the checklist. It looks useful.

I don't have any experience with the Waldorf schools. I have, though, read a little bit of Steiner's writings and, if you have a minute, take a look at this short thread from the NY Finding Your Tribe board. The thread is titled ....Anthroposophic Playgroup..... and someone asked what the word meant. I tried to answer. Look at the bottom of the page for my post.

Hth.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:32 PM

Quote:
What’s up with the black crayon?
Typically, most younger Waldorf students aren't allowed to use the color black. I suppose you could find some info from Waldorf-critics around, but in fairness I prefer to use primary Waldorf sources than rely on some third-party critic.

Betty Kranis one of the founders of the Great Barrington Rudolf Steiner School in Michigan, tells how "Some parents objected to our not using black crayons."

This Waldorf student experienced teachers with "strange beliefs" including "Don't use black crayons until you're in high school"

Finally, there's and article in the Cincinnati Enquirer on the Cincinnati Waldorf School that describes a Waldorf Teacher explaining that the classroom had no black crayons because "black is a dead color".

But, getting back to the topic, keep in mind that Waldorf schools are as diverse as the people in them. Rather than prejudge, you might want to ask a few questions as to whether or not your school follows this principle, and why or why not.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:03 AM

As stated, every school is different. Our kids are allowed to use black crayons. They are allowed to draw with lines but they are encouraged to draw without lines and they are shown how to use the block crayons for drawing without lines. In Kindergarten, it is all about imitation so the teachers draw with them and the kids learn by watching the teachers. The children are allowed to draw whatever they want. A few times a year they are asked to draw houses so that the teachers can assess where they are on the developmental stage.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had my meeting and it went great. The school is beautiful and goes from kindergarten (3 years) to just before college. We didn’t really talk about all the details, partially because it just wasn’t that type of meeting and partially because the meeting was in German, and I’m still really new with the language.

I did ask if they followed the Steiner philosophy “all the way or strictly” (sorry, there isn’t an exact English word for what I said in German). She said yes but didn’t get into it further.

So, I guess my daughter is going there next year. I like the school and I think it will be a good balance/contrast with Aya’s home life.

I just wanted to share the full private tuition at Aya’s Waldorf school is $300.00 / month. Cool, ha.

I’m sure I’ll have some more Waldorf questions but the interview is out of the way and the school is a year from now so I’ll be focusing on other things until then.

Thanks for all the help,

Old 10-02-2003, 01:00 PM

Quote:
did ask if they followed the Steiner philosophy “all the way or strictly” (sorry, there isn’t an exact English word for what I said in German). She said yes but didn’t get into it further.
Congratulations! Now that you have committed your daughter to a strict Steiner-based education, it might be helpful to familiarize yourself with the core texts typically used in Waldorf teacher training. You can find them here:

Waldorf Reading Room

Good luck!

User Tag List