medical services in the school - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Jaye, I was feeling unable to respond in any kind of appropriate or articulate manner, although--and I mean this gently--I don't think lilsparrow was serious there, I think she was making a point that is similar the points you and I have tried to make.

More generally, the similarity in "lumping" cognitive disabilities and medical disabilities together is not about their programming or classroom placement, it's about the disability part of the phrase. That's key.

Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act states that when a person has a disabling condition that impacts a major life activity--breathing, walking, seeing, hearing, learning--that person is entitled to accommodations by all other entities, in this case, schools. Section 504 is the broader category in which special education is in. If you think of it as a series of circles, you have a large circle encompassing all people, then you'd have a smaller circle within that includes all people with disabilities of varying levels--a person with a cochlear implant maybe, who is likely to need to receive preferential seating (otherwise known as an accommodation). A person with diabetes is likely to fall within this circle if we look exclusively at the diabetes, and no other co-existing condition. Thus, that person, under federal law, is entitled to that extra step that the school district must take. Schools have monies budgeted specifically for this, and they have reserves as well that they might dip into in a pinch. If they don't, seriously consider electing new board members next election round . Then, a smaller circle within that 504 circle includes special education, and these are disabilities that directly impact a child's ability to learn and succeed within the general education classroom without specialized instruction.

So no, a child with either type of diabetes is not necessarily comparable to a child with a cognitive impairment. However, a child with diabetes, is entitled to accommodations under Section 504 just as a child with special education needs is entitled to those same (and more) accommodations. It is not the responsibility of the parent to do the work, although I do agree that common sense and a sense of working together for a common cause is better for all. I've never said a parent shouldn't work with the school district. But a family needing to leave a district for the district's failure to appropriately accommodate is a very serious thing. Children with ADHD are also entitled to accommodations under Section 504, and that tends to be a popular topic around here. Why so much trouble with a child who has diabetes? Still medical, still out of that child's control, why should that child not be entitled to attend school without fear of dying or falling into a coma?
#62 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post

omg - obviously no one ever said anything about putting a child w/ a medical issue like diabetes w/ severely cognitively impaired children. The thread was about special ed expenses for school districts. God FORBID your kid gets lumped with the REAL severely impaired children.
BUT the thread IS NOT about special ed expenses for special ed children. The thread, according to the OP, is about schools providing a nurse so that a child with Type 1 Diabetes can attend the school. The fact that severely cognitively impaired children keeps coming up on a thread about Type 1 Diabetes is what prompted my clarification. You never know who might be lurking and the last thing myself, my son or anyone, that has or loves someone with Type 1 Diabetes needs, is the spread of more ignorance.

BTW ... I agree with your perception of "those retarded kids" type of attitude on this thread. I find it nauseating.

ETA ... in fact the OP specifically stated she wanted responses to that particular situation and made it a point to EXCLUDE special education situations. Yet, some posters keep bringing up their irritation towards funds towards special education for the cognitively impaired, to justify denying Type 1 Diabetics their right to an education.

I personally think the cognitively impaired have a right to an education as well, but as the OP said, that is a different topic than Type 1 diabetes.
#63 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamnEmma View Post
Thanks Jaye, I was feeling unable to respond in any kind of appropriate or articulate manner, although--and I mean this gently--I don't think lilsparrow was serious there, I think she was making a point that is similar the points you and I have tried to make.

?
I was being slightly tongue in cheek, and yes I am tring to make a similar point, but I don't think I did very well. Perhaps my previous post clarified my PVO a little better.

Keep fighting the good fight, ladies. Kids DO have rights, and they depend on adults to protect them.
#64 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsparrow View Post
BUT the thread IS NOT about special ed expenses for special ed children. The thread, according to the OP, is about schools providing a nurse so that a child with Type 1 Diabetes can attend the school.
Yes, it started that way but it veered, as many threads do. I was overwhelmed by some of the posts here and may have misinterpreted yours. It seemed like more bashing of the "non-functioning members of society". I apologize if I misunderstood. I would totally expect your child to get the medical services needed for him/her to be in school, as should my non-verbal severely impaired child. I appreciate your clarification.
#65 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Yes, it started that way but it veered, as many threads do. I was overwhelmed by some of the posts here and may have misinterpreted yours. It seemed like more bashing of the "non-functioning members of society". I apologize if I misunderstood. I would totally expect your child to get the medical services needed for him/her to be in school, as should my non-verbal severely impaired child. I appreciate your clarification.
Please no apology is necessary. In fact I think we both responded from the same place in our hearts. I think maybe you thought I was *offended* at the implication that my son was grouped with cognitively impaired children. Nope ... I meant what I said when I referred to them as lovely children. But, I was offended. I felt that the fact that cognitively impaired children kept coming up when speaking about Type 1 Diabetes revealed an underlying prejudice towards those that are cognitively impaired (with type 1 Diabetes ignorantly being thrown on the coattails.)

My youngest is apparently developmentally delayed. We still don't know the extent or permanence of his disabilities, but whatever they may or may not be, I pray for a more compassionate world. A world that recognizes the dignity of ALL human life. Whether "fully functioning members of society" or not and I know many people personally whose lives have been enriched by having the priveledge of caring for some of these special children.

ETA ... I read over my post that you quoted in yours, and I can see how you interpreted it the way you did. YIKES! Mea Culpa.
#66 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Wow... OP chiming back in here. I forgot about this thread for a day or two, came back, and was shocked to see how much discussion happened!

I certainly have plently of opinions about special ed and free and appropriate education and all, but I was really just wondering about one situation.

To address a few points... If the child's former school was sued, it would probably shut it down. They are severely struggling. I found out today that they offered to send the child to a larger nearby school with a full time nurse and the family declined. I didn't say it before, but the child is supposed to be in my classroom. The siblings started last Friday, but the school and the family haven't been able to figure out how to meet the diabetic child's needs yet. I haven't met the parents yet.

Someone asked what happens when a child is sick or injured and there's no nurse there--the same thing that happens if the child were at home. We do first aid if needed and call 911 or drive to the hospital. For us, the hospital is 15 minutes away. Yes, it's a small rural hospital, but they can handle emergencies just fine. If emergency care isn't needed, our secretary takes care of bandaids, coughdrops, and aspirin. But she's never handled insulin.

vtgirl, your response was really helpful to me. I'm glad to hear about a similar situation and how it was handled. That's funny that the cook ended up taking charge. That sounds like something our wonderful cook would do too.
#67 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

The bigotry and ignorance on this thread is mind-boggling.

Ecoteat, just because "you don't handle things like that" doesn't mean your school is not legally required to. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for discrimination.
#68 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
I found out today that they offered to send the child to a larger nearby school with a full time nurse and the family declined.
If the district is offering another nearby school that has a nurse, as well as providing transportation, this would probably meet the criteria for FAPE and the family could very well lose if they chose to fight this. I would hate to be in this family's position.
#69 of 106 Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 PM

I really hope that when/ if this child attends this school she is made to feel welcome, not like a burden.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#70 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Are you serious? The example was the principal says "we don't do wheelchairs". This isn't exactly just something "not going 1 person's way". Of course, it would never even get to the lawsuit level because it is so blatantly illegal.
LOL This *just* hit me. You are so right! We wouldn't even bother, we would just settle out of court for whatever the parent requested. That administrator, luckily, has left. On the bad news side of the equation, she has become the director of special education for another district.
#71 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
sorry I still don't see it as a "free education" issue. Nobody is saying the child can't go to school, for all we know the district this child is going into IS working to find a solution whether it be paid, volunteer, nurse, student nurse, parent, teacher whatnot.
Medical care is a basic, daily, physical need for a child with type 1 diabetes. It is part of a free education, just as bathrooms, electricity and heat are part of a free education for all children. It's a basic need that must be met at the school for the child to learn. Period.

There are many reasons I would argue a full time RN on staff is the only adequate way to meet the medical needs of a type 1 diabetic child. I've gone over a few of them on this thread.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#72 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Ecoteat, just because "you don't handle things like that" doesn't mean your school is not legally required to. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for discrimination.
First of all, any grievances this family might have against a school wouldn't be against MY school. My principal and nurse are working closely with the family to find a solution. I'm not privy to the details until they are figured out, though. Remember, they left a different school before--and I don't know if this medical issue was the only reason or not. I also can't believe how much talk of discrimination is being tossed around this thread. There is absolutely no evidence of discrimination in any of the schools this child has been in. The school they left simply can not hire a full time nurse. In the past 2 years, because of budget cuts from the state, they have had to get rid of a guidance counselor, 3 classroom teachers, and cut back art and music. They are struggling to stay open at this point. This is not an instance of ignorance or discrimination, and I think the family understands that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
I really hope that when/ if this child attends this school she is made to feel welcome, not like a burden.
As the future teacher of this child, I am offended that anyone would suggest anything but a warm, welcoming environment in my classroom and the rest of my school.
#73 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
As the future teacher of this child, I am offended that anyone would suggest anything but a warm, welcoming environment in my classroom and the rest of my school.
You may be offended, but the tone of this thread has made me concerned that the child is just going to be seen as a resource drain. And that's not right.

#74 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
You may be offended, but the tone of this thread has made me concerned that the child is just going to be seen as a resource drain. And that's not right.
IMO, I don't think ecoteat displayed any discrimination. She has stated mostly facts, and the tone of *her* posts doesn't give me any reason to think she would treat this child any differently than the others. Some of the other posters on this thread? Now, that's another story.
#75 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, lilsparrow, I was about to say the same thing. Of the 74 posts in this thread, only 3 or 4 of them are from me--and there is no negative tone in those. It's the other 70 that have people talking about draining resources and discrimination. I am delighted to have a new student join my class--even if there are only 5 weeks of school left! The siblings seem lovely and my other students are excited. The fact that the student has medical needs has nothing to do with my instruction or how welcoming we will be. I'm anxious to see what my principal and nurse come up with to accommodate this child's needs.
#76 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
This is one of those subjects on which I have mixed feelings. I do believe that every child should have an appropriate education. But at times I do struggle with the amount of resources that are made available to children with special needs. It's not that I think kids with special needs shouldn't have those needs met, but when such a large percentage of resources is spent on such a small percentage of the population, it seems unfair. Especially in the case of a small school, where the addition of one extra staff person who is hired to care for only one child takes away from the resources available for the other 65 children who may not benefit from that extra staff person. In a small school, hiring a nurse or an extra paraprofessional may mean that there isn't money for an art class or for field trips.

I don't think this really has anything to do with whether or not there is adequate funding for schools, but rather how we as a society have chosen to prioritize school spending. As a society, we have decided that all kids should have their special needs accomidated, even if it means that the majority of students lose resources because of this. Again, I'm not against special education or against making accomidations for kids with special needs. But the reality is that special services do take funding away from mainstream funding, and this is especially true in small schools.
You have very well stated these concerns and I agree with you totally.
Of course we all want children with special needs to receive a high quality education, but when funds are limited it can really feel that children with special needs benefit at the expense of others. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do understand why one would have mixed feelings.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#77 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM

I guess I don't understand about the "mixed feelings." Which two feelings are mixed? For me, I fully support that all kids deserve a free education. Some kids require more money than others, but that doesn't for a second make me feel that those kids shouldn't be included with their needs met. It just makes me wish there was more money available for all students. I do think that life/death medical situations, and special ed covered by federal law does need to be taken care of before we pay for art/music/other things that are nice, but not absolutely necessary.
#78 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
Of course we all want children with special needs to receive a high quality education, but when funds are limited it can really feel that children with special needs benefit at the expense of others.
That's funny, because I see children w/ special needs getting the crap end of the stick most of the time.

Can you give actual examples of SN kids benefiting at the expense of others or are you just listening to media sound bites? Do you actually know any families with SN kids and what their education situation is?

Again, how about blaming our government and society for the limited funds for education instead of SN kids?
#79 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
I guess I don't understand about the "mixed feelings." Which two feelings are mixed? For me, I fully support that all kids deserve a free education. Some kids require more money than others, but that doesn't for a second make me feel that those kids shouldn't be included with their needs met. It just makes me wish there was more money available for all students. I do think that life/death medical situations, and special ed covered by federal law does need to be taken care of before we pay for art/music/other things that are nice, but not absolutely necessary.
: You took the words right out of my mouth.
#80 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 PM

I can't even imagine a school not having a nurse on staff. I think all of the children could benefit from this. I hope you get one.
#81 of 106 Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm glad to hear that you are excited! I didn't specifically said you and really did mean some of the other posts. I'm sorry if I came off harsh, this has just really been getting me as a mom of a special needs kid.

Quote:
Thank you, lilsparrow, I was about to say the same thing. Of the 74 posts in this thread, only 3 or 4 of them are from me--and there is no negative tone in those. It's the other 70 that have people talking about draining resources and discrimination. I am delighted to have a new student join my class--even if there are only 5 weeks of school left! The siblings seem lovely and my other students are excited. The fact that the student has medical needs has nothing to do with my instruction or how welcoming we will be. I'm anxious to see what my principal and nurse come up with to accommodate this child's needs.

#82 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM

I've noticed mentioned that the problem is limited funds. I respectfully disagree. I believe it is the mismanagement of funds, and a lack of prioritizing.

I also feel that they should focus on education and stop trying to save the world, end hunger in America, become a doctors office distributing immunizations, providing free lunches, offering parenting classes, teaching the parents of immigrants how to speak English, sponsering family fun nights every other week, etc. No wonder they're broke.
#83 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I've noticed mentioned that the problem is limited funds. I respectfully disagree. I believe it is the mismanagement of funds, and a lack of prioritizing.

I also feel that they should focus on education and stop trying to save the world, end hunger in America, become a doctors office distributing immunizations, providing free lunches, offering parenting classes, teaching the parents of immigrants how to speak English, sponsering family fun nights every other week, etc. No wonder they're broke.
Well, I think they should be spending money on those things you mentioned. I'd like to see them raise taxes, get more federal funding and get more restrictive on the massive administrative waste. We have an enormous district and there is a very very ugly school board election going on right now with accusations of nepotism and skimming on all sides. I'd like to see salaries for those positions slashed. NYC's district just completed an investigation that lead to the arrest of several people who have been taking bribes for bussing contracts----this cost the city millions over the last several years. One of the reasons these things happen, IMO, is because these districts are entirely too large and unwiedly. The budgets are so big and there are so many holes and a school that large simply cannot foster community they way a smaller everyody-knows-everybody district can.

Schools are the modern town church. If you live in the same town your whole life, it's the one place that has touched everyone's life in some way. It is the perfect place for things like adult community education. We have some classes like that in my town and many are done through a program sponsored by local businesses, so there is little/no cost to the schools.

I see free & reduced school lunches the same way I see nurses, bathrooms, electricity---these are basic needs we need to have met for the children to learn. Plus, that money is federal and not actually connected to money earmarked for education.

Family fun nights, her at least, are sponsored by the PTA or teachers' union. There is no direct cost to the district.

IMO, schools are broke because we keep cutting taxes while salaries, corruption, student needs and student populations rise.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#84 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
How often would a diabetic child who needs shots every day need to have the shots given in a day? I imagine it may vary, but I don't really know.
It depends on his or her regimen. These days, it's likely to be multiple shots during school hours (likely 1-3) plus about the same number of blood tests. S/he may use an insulin pump instead of shots and might need someone to help use the pump and do about the same number of blood tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Harpy View Post
Speaking as someone who has a diabetic in the family, it isn't something to take lightly so I am glad to see they have someone who is fully trained there w/ the child.
Speaking as someone who has lived with the disease for 25 years, I'm firmly on the side of those arguing that you do NOT need a nursing degree to handle the needs of a type 1 diabetic child. Depending on the age of the child, you do need someone responsible, but I really don't think an RN is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgirl View Post
a diabetic child does not need an RN, they need an adult with a good grasp on the disease who can see if they are in distress and also help with keeping up with testing and giving the accurate amount of insulin.
: Also, an important note here is that a person with type 1 diabetes who needs critical, immediate attention almost always needs sugar, not a shot of insulin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I would much rather my special needs child be in a facility designed for such children with expert staff than expected to function in the mainstream, particularly at a young age. There could still be a lot of opportunity for integration with the mainstream while still maintaining a specialized facility for medically frail and otherwise special needs children. No one's talking about locking them up and throwing away the key...
: Let's take a look at some of these "medically frail" people, shall we? I wonder how the professional and Olympic athletes would feel knowing they are classified as such?

Quote:
I do believe in the case of Type 1 Diabetes, it doen't necessarily have to be a nurses hands to be good hands. Anyone that sincerely cares, is willing to take the time to learn, and can do simple math, can take care of a child with Type 1 Diabetes.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
There are many reasons I would argue a full time RN on staff is the only adequate way to meet the medical needs of a type 1 diabetic child. I've gone over a few of them on this thread.
I'm sorry; I've read your posts and I just don't follow the logic. Do you think that all parents whose children are dx'd should go out and get a professional degree in order to adequately meet the medical needs of their child while s/he is at home? Or is an RN only required in a school setting?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#85 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Speaking as someone who has lived with the disease for 25 years, I'm firmly on the side of those arguing that you do NOT need a nursing degree to handle the needs of a type 1 diabetic child. Depending on the age of the child, you do need someone responsible, but I really don't think an RN is necessary.

: Also, an important note here is that a person with type 1 diabetes who needs critical, immediate attention almost always needs sugar, not a shot of insulin.
*I* am not a nurse, nor is my mother, father, in-laws, and mother of his best friend. All of these people were willing to take the time to learn how to care for my child. I love them all. Especially, the mother of his best friend. She wanted to learn so that he could still do sleepovers at her house. She is a gem.

Someone else (a teacher) mentioned that she would not be comfortable caring for a child with Type 1 Diabetes. Then she would certainly someone I wouldn't want caring for my son, BUT there are many type of people in the world and in a school there is hopefully someone that cares enough to take the time to learn and offer their help.

Quote:
: Let's take a look at some of these "medically frail" people, shall we? I wonder how the professional and Olympic athletes would feel knowing they are classified as such?
#86 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
Well, I think they should be spending money on those things you mentioned. I'd like to see them raise taxes, get more federal funding and get more restrictive on the massive administrative waste.
If they get more restrictive on the administrative waste they wouldn't NEED to raise taxes. I am curious as to why you see the educational system as a cure all for all the ills of society.

Quote:
We have an enormous district and there is a very very ugly school board election going on right now with accusations of nepotism and skimming on all sides. I'd like to see salaries for those positions slashed. NYC's district just completed an investigation that lead to the arrest of several people who have been taking bribes for bussing contracts----this cost the city millions over the last several years. One of the reasons these things happen, IMO, is because these districts are entirely too large and unwiedly. The budgets are so big and there are so many holes and a school that large simply cannot foster community they way a smaller everyody-knows-everybody district can.
I really agree with this! And again if all this money wasn't being wasted, there would be more money, without raising taxes.

Quote:
Schools are the modern town church.
I don't know, I think a school is a school. If one wants go to church they go to a church.

Quote:
If you live in the same town your whole life, it's the one place that has touched everyone's life in some way. It is the perfect place for things like adult community education. We have some classes like that in my town and many are done through a program sponsored by local businesses, so there is little/no cost to the schools.
If they are sponsored throught a local business at *NO* cost to the school, I see no problem with that. Shoot, I wouldn't mind if they made a little money by charging for rental space. Like a community center.

Quote:
I see free & reduced school lunches the same way I see nurses, bathrooms, electricity---these are basic needs we need to have met for the children to learn. Plus, that money is federal and not actually connected to money earmarked for education.
I think feeding a child is a parent's responsibility. If they are financially hurting, there are programs set up by the government to help them with that, welfare, food stamps, WIC, etc. What does the educational system have to do with food, unless they are teaching about it? If they want to offer a school lunch that can be bought, fine. But it is not their *responsibility to pay* for them to eat out of their budget.

I think, by placing all of these demands on schools places an undue burden on them. A school, is not a church, nor a doctors office, nor is it financial assistance. It's a school. They need to be left alone to concentrate on their jurisdiction, which is to educate our nations children.

I remember last year, the principal offering me the school nurse to advise me on how to care for my Type 1 Diabetic child who was being homeschooled!! I looked at her like she had two heads. First off we were there to talk about my daughter who was a student there. Second, why in the hell would I want to call the school nurse, she doesn't even know my son? My son sees a Pediatric Endocrinologist who specializes in Diabetes. Third, the nurse has her hands full with the student body, I am sure. I wonder how she feels having her services extended to the SAH siblings, why not the parents and grandparents too? IMO, she would do a better job if left to her "jurisdiction."

The responsibility of the school system is to EDUCATE, our children. It stands to reason that they need to be able to see (lights), and be able to pee (bathroom.)

Quote:
Family fun nights, her at least, are sponsored by the PTA or teachers' union. There is no direct cost to the district.
If there is no cost to the district, I guess there isn't a problem with it. But, I can think of better things to do with the funds than sponser a family fun night, perhaps that extra music class? Family fun, IMO falls under the jurisdiction of the family.

Quote:
IMO, schools are broke because we keep cutting taxes while salaries, corruption, student needs and student populations rise.
I think a penny saved is a penny earned. Living in one of the highest taxed states in the country. I can tell you, from my perspective, more money won't fix the problem of corruption, mismanagement and a lack of priorities.

ETA, I think teachers should get a raise. They are providing a very important and needed service.
#87 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
*I* am not a nurse, nor is my mother, father, in-laws, and mother of his best friend. All of these people were willing to take the time to learn how to care for my child. I love them all. Especially, the mother of his best friend. She wanted to learn so that he could still do sleepovers at her house. She is a gem.

Someone else (a teacher) mentioned that she would not be comfortable caring for a child with Type 1 Diabetes. Then she would certainly someone I wouldn't want caring for my son, BUT there are many type of people in the world and in a school there is hopefully someone that cares enough to take the time to learn and offer their help.

Perhaps that was me? It's not that I don't care, but personally I wouldn't want the responsiblity on top of my repsonsibilty to the other 149 students I see in the day. I can see where I might mess up or miss something. I would not volunteer. Our school has "health asstants" who are trained, there everyday, and covered by the district insurance (sorry to sound like I would only want to cover myself in the event of something going wrong. It isn't the only reason I wouldn't take on the responsiblity, but it is one. I'd be terrified to be the one in charge when I have to be responsible for so many). They do not break the bank, they get about 10 dollars per hour.
#88 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
If they get more restrictive on the administrative waste they wouldn't NEED to raise taxes. I am curious as to why you see the educational system as a cure all for all the ills of society.

If they are sponsored throught a local business at *NO* cost to the school, I see no problem with that. Shoot, I wouldn't mind if they made a little money by charging for rental space. Like a community center.

I think feeding a child is a parent's responsibility. If they are financially hurting, there are programs set up by the government to help them with that, welfare, food stamps, WIC, etc. What does the educational system have to do with food, unless they are teaching about it? If they want to offer a school lunch that can be bought, fine. But it is not their *responsibility to pay* for them to eat out of their budget.

I think, by placing all of these demands on schools places an undue burden on them. A school, is not a church, nor a doctors office, nor is it financial assistance. It's a school. They need to be left alone to concentrate on their jurisdiction, which is to educate our nations children.

I remember last year, the principal offering me the school nurse to advise me on how to care for my Type 1 Diabetic child who was being homeschooled!! I looked at her like she had two heads. First off we were there to talk about my daughter who was a student there. Second, why in the hell would I want to call the school nurse, she doesn't even know my son? My son sees a Pediatric Endocrinologist who specializes in Diabetes. Third, the nurse has her hands full with the student body, I am sure. I wonder how she feels having her services extended to the SAH siblings, why not the parents and grandparents too? IMO, she would do a better job if left to her "jurisdiction."

The responsibility of the school system is to EDUCATE, our children. It stands to reason that they need to be able to see (lights), and be able to pee (bathroom.)

If there is no cost to the district, I guess there isn't a problem with it. But, I can think of better things to do with the funds than sponser a family fun night, perhaps that extra music class? Family fun, IMO falls under the jurisdiction of the family.

I think a penny saved is a penny earned. Living in one of the highest taxed states in the country. I can tell you, from my perspective, more money won't fix the problem of corruption, mismanagement and a lack of priorities.

ETA, I think teachers should get a raise. They are providing a very important and needed service.
Schools don't do all these things to save the world. Believe me, saving the world never comes up at a board meeting. They do all these things to raise test scores. Hungry children don't do well on tests. Parent invovlement is suppose to raise test scores. Teaching parents English is supposed to raise test scores. I have to say that when the budget comes up, I've NEVER heard that we should spend money just to be nice, it is because someone somewhere thinks that it will raise our scores.

Further more, free and reduced lunch is a federal poverty program and not really a "school thing." Daycares, YMCA's, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc. can all be part of the same program and the entire food budget is separate from the general fund.
#89 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This makes me very sad. A child who has diabetes needs a nurse and we are questioning whether this is OK because it takes resources away from able bodied children? The underlying issue is that the schools are terribly underfunded if hiring a nurse for a diabetic child is a struggle.

When I was growing up, every school had a nurse. All sorts of things can come up, and having a nurse on duty is important for all students.

I believe that we as a society can do so much better, where we fund children's education and health needs and don't have to balance those needs. Sadly, it sounds like the mamas are being divided again, when we need to be united in order to insist on adequate funding for health and education for our children.
#90 of 106 Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Perhaps that was me? It's not that I don't care, but personally I wouldn't want the responsiblity on top of my repsonsibilty to the other 149 students I see in the day. I can see where I might mess up or miss something. I would not volunteer. Our school has "health asstants" who are trained, there everyday, and covered by the district insurance (sorry to sound like I would only want to cover myself in the event of something going wrong.
I was going to edit my last post because nowhere in your post did you say that you didn't care. That was an assumption on my part and I apologize.

A health assistant being much more affordable than an RN, is a legitimate option IMO. Especially because it would not place an extra burden on someone who already has many responsibilities. Perhaps there are others in the OP's school, that are not so busy as a teacher, if they could not afford to pay even a Health Assistant?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page