Holy cow. If I have to buy all these supplies, why aren't I just homeschooling? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 157 Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in Kindergarden 17 years ago... lol. And my school supply list was very long. But we did almost always use all of the supplies we had to buy.

My mother works as a teacher and every year she has to buy her kids basic supplies, like notebooks and paper and pencils. Parent's either don't buy it or can't afford it. She's a special education teacher so she only has to buy them for 10-20 students (depending on if she's doing self-contained or teaching a subject). It runs her $200-$400 depending on if she decides to get "extra's" like art supplies. Then she has to spend money on supplies for the classroom like chalk, dry erase markers, posters, books, lesson plan books, computer programs, poster putty, tissue, wet wipes, soap, fans... her classroom can run her $1000-$1500 per year just for the basics to keep her room running. And this doesn't include when she has to pay for a child's lunch or a field trip because the parents can't afford it, or when she has to buy a child their uniform because the one they are wearing is stained and falling apart. And she isn't one of those teachers making $60,000+ she is just getting by. Imagine what she could get for $1000 if she didn't have to pay for the basics needed to run a classroom? Or if each parent contributed $30-$100 in supplies??? This year she has to refurbish her dry erase board because the school won't pay for it and it isn't readable. Her school doesn't reimburse most of her expenses- some of it is tax deductible though.

So yes, if you don't buy your children the supplies it will fall on the teacher, and will take away from the teachers budget for manipulative's and taking continuing education/graduate courses. If you can't afford the supplies then see what assistance programs are available. The good thing is that most big box stores sell 10 cent notebooks and folders, and you can sometimes get a 16 pack of crayola's usually for 30 cents...
#152 of 157 Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post
Have you written a letter to the PTO/PTA and the principal with this idea? They might be interested.
Well, it's a small private school and my feeling is that everyone else likes it this way so I guess I'll just grit my teeth and go along...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#153 of 157 Old 07-26-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
Unfortunately, it's a pretty typical list for our area. The thing that really bugged me about the Kindergarten list is that I got all the stuff and then they dumped it all into "communiy" supplies so we got nothing back - even the scissors. Now how many scissors do you need?
That really bothers me, too. My brother would get so frustrated because whey put all the crayons together, then gave each kid an assortment. He didn't get all the colors back. He did get to keep his scissors though.

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#154 of 157 Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 AM

My brother is now in fifth grade, and his list this year is as follows:

2 5 subject notebooks
1 1" binder
2-3 packs wide ruled paper
composition book
loose leaf gaph paper
2 packs #2 pencils
markers
colored pencils
dry erase markers
tissues
baby wipes
blank CDs
and a few other things...

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#155 of 157 Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranbutterfly View Post
That really bothers me, too. My brother would get so frustrated because whey put all the crayons together, then gave each kid an assortment. He didn't get all the colors back. He did get to keep his scissors though.
But for kindergarten community supplies really does work best. My DD attends school in a district where there is a very high population of students living beneath the poverty level - if hey did not bring supplies in at the start of the year the teacher could not ask for them again, she just had to make do with what she had. By having community supplies no one was ever without. Sure, they might not always have a green crayon ready to use at all times but they had crayons there at all times. As far as scissors, in my DD's classroom they were shared as well - from a total of 52 kids bringing supplies in at the start of the year the teacher didn't have enough for her large morning class to each have their own to use each day.
#156 of 157 Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
As far as scissors, in my DD's classroom they were shared as well - from a total of 52 kids bringing supplies in at the start of the year the teacher didn't have enough for her large morning class to each have their own to use each day.
Please tell me there weren't 52 kinder in your DD's class!
#157 of 157 Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
Please tell me there weren't 52 kinder in your DD's class!
They were divided between morning and afternoon, 27 morning & 25 afternoon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page