Anyone use a private school while using public school special ed services? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My dd has a severe speech delay and needs intensive speech therapy. We've had a lot of problems with the local school dist that’s left more then a bad taste in my mouth. I've heard a lot of good things about a private school in the area that can accommodate my dd's other issues well but they don’t have speech therapy. We have another IEP next week and I’m seriously considering just putting her in the private school and insisting the speech path go to the private school 3x a week and work with the teachers to help dd since she's not getting any benefit from the other class because she cant even attend atm because of the problems were having. Has anyone done this? How did it go?

Seriously?
#2 of 4 Old 10-15-2003, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot to look to see if the state you live in is the same as mine before I hit reply. But in my state, no, you cannot insist that the SLP come to your dd to give therapy. You can send your dd to a private school, you can ensure that dd receives her therapy, but you must provide the transportation to and from her home school for the therapy during the school day. Good luck!

Leah
#3 of 4 Old 10-16-2003, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It is a great idea, but I also have never heard of it happening. I would first check special education law, or consult with an advocate before making this switch. I don't think they are obligated to serve your child if the child is not in their school.

#4 of 4 Old 10-17-2003, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, we're obligated to serve, but not at the private school. Search and serve does still apply, we just don't have to provide transportation or do it necessarily during the school day, kwim? It makes it very difficult for the parent I'd assume. I've had parents ask about it over the years, but they've all eventually decided not to partake....

Leah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page