When do you start the shift from the summer schedule to a school schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now,the DC are getting up to bed at 10,then reading for awhile-DS usually falls asleep w/i 15 mins.,DD will read up to an hr and ahalf. DS wakes up around 8-830,DD 9-930.

Starting August 21,they will need to be at school by 8,getting home at 320.

Do I start making the shift now,or maybe two weeks from when they start? And how do I do this? It is foreign to me,and right now? Seems impossible.

mp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM

Right now DS gets up about 9am and will need to get up about 3 hours earlier. We are going to start the shift about 2 weeks before school starts. I plan on starting with 30 minute increments. So that will be a week working towards the target time and then a week keeping it at that time.
Good luck!
#3 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:17 PM

DSD (15) follows her own hours at the moment. She goes to bed anywhere from 9 till 12. She's not the kind that will have trouble waking up when the time comes, so she'll be expected to go to bed at a reasonable hour the night before the school starts. She's pretty good at self regulating though, it's never been an issue here...

I find it silly to start 2 weeks early, because it's still two more weeks of sleeping in that the kids could be doing, you know?

I might start "school hours" 1 or 2 days beforehead if I had a reason it could be a problem, just as a practice run.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#4 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 PM

I suppose it depends on the child. Some kids are quicker to transition to a school schedule than others. My dc's are only sleeping in 30 - 45 min. later than normal this summer, but going to bed about an hour later. I'm going to need longer than my dc's to transition, however! I've been going to bed much later than normal, and sleeping in as well!

If your mornings are pretty relaxed, like eating breakfast whenever, getting dressed whenever, you might want to start (when you are ready) having your dc's getting those things done first thing, like you would on a school day. Other than that, I can't think of much other than having them go to bed and get up at the times that they will need to.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#5 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 PM
MCR

We were talking about this last night.
Ds (14) goes back monday which means he's up at 6am to catch the bus. He's been sleeping till noon, today I woke him before noon, tomorrow I'll wake him at about 9.30am, and we cross our fingers and hope he wakes at 6 for the bus on Monday. I tried to get him to move his schedule around so he'd be ready to wake early, but I was beating a dead horse with that idea
#6 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalcurls View Post
Right now DS gets up about 9am and will need to get up about 3 hours earlier. We are going to start the shift about 2 weeks before school starts. I plan on starting with 30 minute increments. So that will be a week working towards the target time and then a week keeping it at that time.
Good luck!
Wow! Three hrs??? Yikes! It sounds like you have a good plan. That gives me something to think about.

#7 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
I find it silly to start 2 weeks early, because it's still two more weeks of sleeping in that the kids could be doing, you know?
Perhaps I will feel like this next summer, but honestly, my DC have never had to go to bed or wake up to an alarm clock-at least on any kind of regular schedule. Also, my DC literally slept till 10 a lot of days this past summer. So, ya see where I am coming from? Us=no schedule,lots of sleeping till whenever. Thus the reasons I feel the need to know how it is actually pulled off, and *how* others do this.

mp

#8 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
If your mornings are pretty relaxed, like eating breakfast whenever, getting dressed whenever, you might want to start (when you are ready) having your dc's getting those things done first thing, like you would on a school day. Other than that, I can't think of much other than having them go to bed and get up at the times that they will need to.
I like this idea! With DS, when his feet hit the floor, he gets dressed to the shoes-he*is* the FlyLady's DS! Now, DD? Let's just say that my once self declared "Jammy Days" became more of the norm for her.

mp

#9 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Pauline! Good luck with that!!! Geez! And my DD thinks she has it so rough!
#10 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I suppose it depends on the child. Some kids are quicker to transition to a school schedule than others.
So true! DS must have a strict routine and when it changes things get difficult.

Quote:
I'm going to need longer than my dc's to transition, however! I've been going to bed much later than normal, and sleeping in as well!
I am not a morning person, so this is going to be hard on me too.
#11 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Monday, which is three weeks before school begins. We won't have to get up too much earlier than we do, but I do plan to have Bean awake before his sisters so that we have a bit of quiet school time before the circus begins.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#12 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 PM

I do it a week or so before they start though there's a weekend in there & they've always stayed up later on weekends.

Currently my 6yo & 7yo are getting up around 7-7:30 which is when they need to be up for school, but they're going to bed 2-3 hours later than thier usual 8pm.

My 9yo is getting up around 10 am & not going to bed until midnight. She normally goes to bed around 9 & reads until she falls asleep which can be 10 minutes or 2 hours. We need to cut back on how long she's reading for during the school year.
#13 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM

I actually start almost a month before school starts w/ slowly adjusting their schedules by 15min. each week. BUT, my oldest is one that has a really hard time w/ transitions so I find that there is slightly less fighting and whining this way. We also do a "dry run" w/ the whole morning routine a couple of days before school starts.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#14 of 27 Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 PM

We started two weeks before school begins--which will be this coming Monday.

But this is our first foray in to public school. We've been homeschoolers up until now, and I'm a bit anxious about making their transition to school as easy on them (and me) as possible. I'm sure we won't be doing it this early in the future, especially since we're going into a year-round school and will be having frequent, shorter vacations.

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#15 of 27 Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 AM

We are starting Aug. 1 and they start school on the 21st. We have to leave the house by 7:20 in order to be at school on time and we've been sleeping until 10 or 11 and sometimes DD sleeps till noon. We've homeschooled the past few years so I fear this getting up at the crack of dawn thing is going to be no fun for everyone involved. :
#16 of 27 Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 AM

I don't really try to do the transition. Dd is SUCH a night owl/poor sleeper and she really hates getting up in the morning, so I pretty much let her have the pleasure of sleeping in for the full 10 weeks of summer break. Truth be told, trying to get her to go to bed early is pointless. During the school year, she basically goes to bed at 9 and it takes her until 10 to get to sleep (and she still co-sleeps) then gets up at 7... manages to have plenty of energy during the week in spite of living with dark circles under her eyes, then has sleep marathons on weekends. I'll never get her to go to bed early, it will probably be years yet until she'll actually go to bed by herself, so I've given up. Her staying up later means I get to stay up later, too.
#17 of 27 Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 PM

I don't know, but it will be a big one.

we are spending the summer in a time zone 2 hours earlier than our home one. So when she goes to bed at 10 here, it is midnight at home!

Her school starts at 8am this year, so she will have to go bed by 8pm, which is 6 pm where we are now. We will be home 2 weeks before school starts, and I guess we will start right away.
#18 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalcurls View Post
So true! DS must have a strict routine and when it changes things get difficult.

I am not a morning person, so this is going to be hard on me too.
My DD has a hard time with transitions too,and *everything* is already going to be quite difficult for her. I just really want to minimize difficulties,wherever I can.

I am so not a morning person! Even if my mind was,my body rebels full power if I get up too early. If only I could have coffee!!
#19 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
We need to cut back on how long she's reading for during the school year.
This would be true for Dd too.Coming from a homeschool environment, I am hoping the new school days will tire her out enough,that when bedtime comes, she'll be OUT!
#20 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing..

my dd is on a 25 hour time clock, which means she always wants to stay up later, and sleep later.....I really dread the start of school.

It's the getting to sleep part that's tough. She always takes 45 minutes to an hour to fall to sleep, so we'll have to start that around 7:15, when sometimes dh isn't even home from work by then.....ugh.
#21 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmae1 View Post
We also do a "dry run" w/ the whole morning routine a couple of days before school starts.
I love this idea!!!! My overwhelmed mind would have never thought of doing this! Thankyou!
#22 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
We are starting Aug. 1 and they start school on the 21st. We have to leave the house by 7:20 in order to be at school on time and we've been sleeping until 10 or 11 and sometimes DD sleeps till noon. We've homeschooled the past few years so I fear this getting up at the crack of dawn thing is going to be no fun for everyone involved. :
Sigh. I am right there with ya momma!!
#23 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post
It's the getting to sleep part that's tough. She always takes 45 minutes to an hour to fall to sleep, so we'll have to start that around 7:15, when sometimes dh isn't even home from work by then.....ugh.
Yes, this is DD too.....only,depending on her anxiety, she has been known to stay up reading for 3 hrs.
#24 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing mommas!
#25 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 03:54 PM

We won't have to do much shifting b/c my dd goes to a summer day camp which is about 15-20 mins. away from my house so she has to get up at the same time she did for school.
#26 of 27 Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
we just suck it up and do it. well, we _try_ to get around to going to bed earlier, but it never sticks very well. my kids have actually been sleeping later as the summer has worn on. we did have camp today, though, and had to be there at 9 so had to get up earlier.

Maybe you could plan a fun outing like going shopping for school supplies or going to the zoo or somewhere fun for the day? Then you could just get up early and try to get to Target by 8am or something.

good luck!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#27 of 27 Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=beanma;11800509
Maybe you could plan a fun outing like going shopping for school supplies or going to the zoo or somewhere fun for the day? Then you could just get up early and try to get to Target by 8am or something.

good luck![/QUOTE]

That's a fun idea! Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page