throwing up then attending school: how soon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am posting this here because I thought moms with their kids in school might have some opinions for me.

My son (3) threw up at 6:45 this morning. He has preschool camp tomorrow morning, from 9-12. Their policy is not to send your kid until it's been 24 hours from last vomit or diarrhea.

He is fine, not droopy or feverish or sick-seeming. He whimpered a bit after he threw up, but perked up after we got him cleaned up. He had some pedialyte. He has just eaten. If he keeps this down, and has a regular day, and eats breakfast tomorrow as usual around 6:30-7, should I send him? He loves it there.

I ask because, even though I'll be following the 24 hour rule and I'll be confident he's fine (I wouldn't consider it otherwise), I wonder if other parents would be annoyed if they knew there was a kid at camp who had thrown up the previous morning. How would you feel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostysarah View Post
I wonder if other parents would be annoyed if they knew there was a kid at camp who had thrown up the previous morning. How would you feel?
I wouldn't discuss vomit with those parents. I used to think I should warn the daycare that my son had thrown up yesterday... and then they asked me to keep him out until the doctor could certify him as non-contagious, and it was all a giant nightmare (two days out of care waiting for blood test results on a perfectly healthy kid). My rule now is that if I think the kid is well enough to be in care, I do not comment on how he was yesterday.

Seriously - I would go ahead and send the kid to camp if he makes the recovery you are expecting. I assume this is not a special camp for children with severe health problems or immune disorders. Kids get tummy bugs from time to time, or have stomach upsets for other reasons, and often recover very quickly.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't worry about it being slightly under 24 hours. I tend to go with my gut on it, whether I think the child is really over the bug or not. Generally they're contagious before they show signs as the illness is starting, not after it ends, so right before the fever/vomiting/etc. is more likely than after.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM

yeah I'd send him. Kids can throw up for various reasons that doesn't include having a contagious illness.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM

The 24 hour rule is silly anyway, because from what I've read, kids are most contagious before they show any symptoms, so he probably infected everyone last week (or got sick from some other kid who also threw up this weekend).

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
Old 08-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There's no way I'd send a child to school/daycare if they threw up that morning, or even the night before.

If it's been at least 18 hours (a whole day plus a whole night) I think it's fine.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 PM

This link has a chart of incubation periods and contagious periods for all kinds of sicknesses:
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_incubate_hhg.htm

Lots of kids in a small space like schools/daycares = lost cause

Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a severe emetophobic, i am and would be appalled if your child was sent to school without following the rule. I mean parents that dont follow the rules are the reason bugs are going around schools soooooooooooo much. When I was growing up, we stayed home for at least 2 days to recuperate from bugs, even if we were up playing around. There surely wasnt as many bugs going round at that time, I remember. I was only sick maybe a few times compared to my older son who was sick monthly for years in grammar school. Probably due to parents not following the rule. k off my soap box. If my child only threw up ONCE at 6 45 am and did not throw up the rest of the day, have diarrea, or run a fever, and was fine in himself the whole entire day and night, i would send him the next day. But if he was even a little *off* that day, I would not send him.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 AM

I agree with Transitions. There's a reason for the rules, and really saying they are most contagious before they show signs, well that's not true of all illnesses.

Viral stomach bugs are THE MOST contagious of all and I've gotten sick from those who claimed they'd been fine for a day or two, so I do think you need to follow the rule, and what you plan on doing sounds perfect.

It's the considerate thing to do.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Sounds like you're following the rule and I think your judgment is probably sound.

For me though I'd probably keep my son home, if it weren't a matter of desperately needing the time to work or something. One day won't make a huge difference to him in terms of missing activities, but having to pick up a kid who's been sick again is yucky.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 AM

I'm just saying the 24 hour rule is false security. I think you should know your kid and know when they are "off"--I can actually tell when my kids are *going* to be sick by the way they act, so we pass on less stuff because I proactively keep them home. And they go back to school/whatever when they are 100%, regardless of how long that is by the clock/calendar.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM

You're following the "rule", so technically, it's probably ok. BUT, imo, I wouldn't send my child that soon. I tend to agree with Transitions. My kids hate to miss those things too, but really, it's only a day. And I don't say this so much as a consideration to others (although that's a big factor), but because I think it's too soon for my kids. I've had them sick, seem fine for a while, and relapse when I wasn't expecting it. Plus, a body needs rest and time to recuperate. It's hard at that point, I know, but I think it's really kind to the body to rest after an obvious battle with something.

Just my $.02. And sorry, but I have a feeling if you share it with the other parents, they'd be a bit miffed too. It's one thing to know your own kids, but being around someone else who was just puking the day before gives me the heeby-jeebys.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you all your input.

Turns out he woke up from nap yesterday all tragic and pitiful so I stopped considering sending him. He's still pretty off now, so I doubt he'll be going tomorrow either. Poor guy.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 PM

I hate it when kids are sick. I hope he feels better soon.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I *always* wait 24 hours after the last time they puked or had a high temp. I not only want to make sure my child is no longer contagious but also that they feel better and are totally back to themselves. I know my kids take a while to get back to being active and I won't push them to go be miserable the next day if their immune system is still weak.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM

I am glad you are keeping him home a while longer. I know a couple of kids who were sent back to school too soon after an illness. Thought they were better or had to go to work or whatever - but it didn't really make a difference when the child threw up at school. I felt SO bad for them when that happened. That kid feels awful and embarrassed; other kids are grossed out; the parents are all mad that they sent their sick child. It is just bad all around.

User Tag List