Uniform.. backpacks? Update #63 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Dumb idea to have "uniform" backpacks?
Yes, that's dumb.. or silly or whatever you want to call it. 43 47.78%
No, not dumb - a good idea actually! 26 28.89%
Other, indeferent, you name it.. (??) 21 23.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I registered my boys for kindergarten yesterday. Upon registering I was given the list of supplies to buy. I was initially happy to hear that they had a sponsor buying all of the kids half of their supplies. I mean, so many families have difficulties affording this stuff, so how wonderful!

And then I found out one of the supplies they provide is a backpack. Fine. But they are all the same. Why? Because they don't want the kids arguing over one anothers bags. Any guesses as to how often my boys will come home with another child's bag? (I do plan on labeling my boys bags with their names..)

Still, while very silly and not remotely a huge deal, it upset me. When I was a child, picking my bag almost every year was something I looked forward too. Most of the time I refrained from characters or bands, I instead just picked my favorite color. I'm bummed my boys don't get to pick their bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Makes sense to me. That way you don't have the kids who couldn't afford a backpack sticking out and getting made fun of.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I do understand that and for that I am thankful. I know it's silly as I said, but I was just looking forward to my boys going in and picking out their own bags (I wouldn't allow characters, just whatever color). Oh well. Sometimes it's the little things.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Makes sense to me. That way you don't have the kids who couldn't afford a backpack sticking out and getting made fun of.
I think this is probably the sponsor's thoughts exactly. It wouldn't be much fun to be the kid with the plain, blue Jansport that everyone knew "the sponsor" bought- especially if most of the other kids had trendy backpacks with Batman etc.

I see what you mean about choosing your own bag though. (I am pretty sure my own bag obsession begins with those elementary school backpacks!
)

Maybe you could take your boys to the fabric store to pick out cool patches to sew/iron on or the craft store for fabric paint?

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well, as my cousin reminded me, they can pick out their own lunchboxes, so that's good.

I was planning on sewing their names on the bags (on the front of them, making it obvious).
Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 AM

They do that here too, though we aren't forced to keep the backpacks.

Last year they were pea soup green and my girls had already chosen backpacks so we didn't use them. Several of the moms did kidnap them though and would carry them as purses lol.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 AM

Uniforms...understandable. Hundreds of the same backpack...a recipe for disaster!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 AM

I'm indifferent.

I would assume the sponsor is simply ordering in bulk and it is easiest/cheapest to buy that many in the same color and style bag. I also suppose it ensures that every child has a backpack. I think that is more the issue than kids fighting or feeling bad that they have a different bag.

Question- Are the children actually required by the school to use the bag the sponsor provides? Did the school actually state that if your child shows up with a different bag they will not be allowed to use it?
If they didn't say "you can only use this bag" then I would clarify this before getting sad.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 08-16-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, I was told everyone (regardless if one could afford their own bag or not) would get the same bag for their child. Wells Fargo (bank) is sponsoring it. I was told that they had to use the bags and if they brought a different bag to school, it'd be taken away and sent home with the child at the end of the day with a note.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Yep, I was told everyone (regardless if one could afford their own bag or not) would get the same bag for their child. Wells Fargo (bank) is sponsoring it. I was told that they had to use the bags and if they brought a different bag to school, it'd be taken away and sent home with the child at the end of the day with a note.

Is it a public school? Is it a bad socio-economic area? We are in a pretty low income neighborhood and no one made us keep the backpacks, matter of fact we didn't even take them since we wouldn't use them anyway.

Weird.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
Is it a public school? Is it a bad socio-economic area? We are in a pretty low income neighborhood and no one made us keep the backpacks, matter of fact we didn't even take them since we wouldn't use them anyway.

Weird.
Yes, public school. Average household income is $54,000 as of a couple of years ago.

I should say that this person (secretary) to tell me about the bags also told me that I HAD to provide my boys vax records or else they'd be kicked out of school. She basically said that exemptions were not allowed in so many words (which is untrue, for the state of Oregon). So she very well could be wrong and I do plan on emailing the principle to clarify the bag "issue."
Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, public school. Average household income is $54,000 as of a couple of years ago.

Well if it totally bugs you I'd nicely b*tch, because this neat little programs to help people out seem to always be more of a token thing. They should have sent home papers so people could get the backpacks if they needed them. It's weird that they want them all to match.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

DH was on a reduced lunch when he was in school, so his tickets for lunch were a different color than those that paid full price. He said he and others who had the different colored tickets were teased constantly.

So part of me understands this, I really do. No fun to be the kid with "that" bag (that being the bag that is provided since your parents can't afford a bag).
Old 08-16-2008, 01:56 AM

They tried to do this with binders in my 9th grade year of junior high (except it wasn't a sponsor, they spent materials funds on them). And didn't tell us until my single parent minimum wage earning mother had already spent her hard earned money on the binder I picked out for myself. She very kindly told them where to shove it, and I was one of a few kids in school that carried their own notebook.

Anyhow, I vote dumb. I'm down with it if they say "Hey, Wells Fargo gave us a bunch of free backpacks! Take one if you need/want it!" Not so much with the "you must conform and do as we say" plan.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 AM

well.. if your kids are anything like my oldest. it could be a good thing.

my daughter started 1st grade (last year) with a dora backpack she picked out.
2 months into the year she said dora was babyish & she didnt want to carry it because it was "embarrassing"

so.we buy a new one. pokadots.

then in febuary she wanted a pokemon backpack. i said no way. but she told my SIL she wanted pokemon & then a week later a pokemon one came in the mail. my sil hadent even told me she ordered it.

so..shes starting this year with pokemon.

oh. but she asked me for a webkinz one. i told her 1) i dont think they make webkinz ones 2) if she breathed a word to anyone about one id make her take her stuff in a grocery bag.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 AM

What about adding patches? My guys don't even get new ones every year so if we can we "freshen up" the old ones.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:

I should say that this person (secretary) to tell me about the bags also told me that I HAD to provide my boys vax records or else they'd be kicked out of school. She basically said that exemptions were not allowed in so many words (which is untrue, for the state of Oregon). So she very well could be wrong and I do plan on emailing the principle to clarify the bag "issue."
Wow, I have never had a problem here with exemptions. Everyone takes them.

However when I lived in Cali I didn't even know they had philosophical exemptions because they never told you. In Oregon it's right on the shot record they make you sign. It could just be a case of a power hungry secretary.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 AM

It's dumb because of the "confusing the bags" issue. I hope they're also supplying name tape to sew onto the bags.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:35 AM

I would like it if the school was providing the backbacks because our always fall apart within a half a school year, or the zipper breaks. With three kids to buy them for I spend a small fortune on backpacks.
I've gotten them from multiple places, in multiple price ranges and they're still junk.
Last year I spent $80 per backpack for the teens because they wanted skateboard bags and I had money back then. Their bags have held up better, but still not great. They're using them again this year. I bought Loo's at Old Navy and the zipper is junky. It was $20. I get sick of buying bags.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Uniforms...understandable.
Not to me.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 AM

I think that it's a good idea.

And kids will always find ways to stand out. We girls decorated our kilt pins and of course, wore different jewelry and... scrunchies (they were popular back then!).
Old 08-16-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *clementine* View Post
I would like it if the school was providing the backbacks because our always fall apart within a half a school year, or the zipper breaks. With three kids to buy them for I spend a small fortune on backpacks.
I've gotten them from multiple places, in multiple price ranges and they're still junk.
Last year I spent $80 per backpack for the teens because they wanted skateboard bags and I had money back then. Their bags have held up better, but still not great. They're using them again this year. I bought Loo's at Old Navy and the zipper is junky. It was $20. I get sick of buying bags.
buy jansport ones i had mine for 5 years of school and its still in great condition
Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 AM

My sister had the same backpack from K through at least 8th grade. What is it with a new backpack every year?

I was pre-backpack days. I used shopping bags (plastic bags with drawstrings, like from the Gap). I did have the same lunchbox from K to 5th (when I started using a brown paper bag).

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
My sister had the same backpack from K through at least 8th grade. What is it with a new backpack every year?
We didn't use any bags at all.. we just carried any books home.

And the reason you buy new backpacks every year is because they are cheap POS like everything else these days and fall apart. The stupid zippers stop working or the straps come off. The only backpacks we still have kicking around are the ones my oldest DD had in K and 1st. The straps did come off but the zippers still work.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
We didn't use any bags at all.. we just carried any books home.

And the reason you buy new backpacks every year is because they are cheap POS like everything else these days and fall apart. The stupid zippers stop working or the straps come off. The only backpacks we still have kicking around are the ones my oldest DD had in K and 1st. The straps did come off but the zippers still work.
Good to know it's not just us. Dh gets so annoyed when I tell him someone needs a new backpack.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *clementine* View Post
Good to know it's not just us. Dh gets so annoyed when I tell him someone needs a new backpack.
Nope it's not just you. I refuse to buy the plastic ones and only buy the cloth ones that seem stronger.. but now they are using cheap zippers that only seem to last about a month.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Ditto Jansport!

I am 25 years old, graduated in early 2001. I had my Jansport bag for jr and sr year. Guess what? DH has been using it since late 2001 and hasn't stopped using it for work (and it gets beaten at work with him dropping it and him working in a warehouse). I wash it every few months for him but it's held up SOOOOOO well.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Ditto Jansport!

I am 25 years old, graduated in early 2001. I had my Jansport bag for jr and sr year. Guess what? DH has been using it since late 2001 and hasn't stopped using it for work (and it gets beaten at work with him dropping it and him working in a warehouse). I wash it every few months for him but it's held up SOOOOOO well.
But see that is an older Jansport. I got DD1 that brand last year. I think it lasted the whole year as opposed to crapping out half way through.. but she still needs a new one this year.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
But see that is an older Jansport. I got DD1 that brand last year. I think it lasted the whole year as opposed to crapping out half way through.. but she still needs a new one this year.

Jansport has a lifetime guarantee, don't they?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 AM

They give free backpacks here to but dd has yet to use one. I get her one a year to carry and she uses that the ones that are given to us are currently being used as a carry all for me when there is a class trip and dh took 1 for his fishing supplies.

Is there a rule that says you have to use the one that is given to you?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List