At what age do you think a student would be allowed by the bus driver to get off the bus, cross the street, and go into the house without an adult... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: With no adult visible to receive the student, at what age would a student be allowed to cross a stre
under 4 2 1.04%
4 5 2.60%
5 45 23.44%
6 35 18.23%
7 29 15.10%
8 32 16.67%
9 12 6.25%
10 15 7.81%
11 2 1.04%
12 10 5.21%
13-14 1 0.52%
15-16 0 0%
17-18 0 0%
NEVER! 0 0%
other 4 2.08%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 09-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted 5--that's how old I was when the bus dropped me off as a kid. And it didn't drop me off by my house, either, it dropped me off about a block away from it. Granted, I lived in a small village and it was a short walk. But I've noticed they drop most kids in rural areas off either at the bottom of their dirt roads/hills or the ends of them with no adult in sight.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#62 of 67 Old 09-24-2008, 07:02 PM

Would be allowed: 5
Should be allowed: 7-8

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#63 of 67 Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 AM

Well my 5 yr old is allowed to. The bus driver doesn't see me standing behind the gate so in his eyes there's no one helping my child across the street or getting him into the house. I don't know that he knows that my 11 yr old i his brother and is making sure he crosses the street okay.

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#64 of 67 Old 09-26-2008, 05:25 PM

In our district kindergarteners need to be met by a parent at the bus stop. If there are kids that need to cross the street at the bus stop, the driver gets out of the bus acts as a crossing guard, holding a stop sign in the street. Now, our school is small and the bus fee is about $700 for the year. There is only one bus and not many kids ride it, the driver usually knows each one by name and what stop they are supposed to get off at.

My house was clean this morning,
Sorry you missed it.
#65 of 67 Old 09-26-2008, 07:22 PM

In our district preschoolers ride vans and are driven right to their door. No child is ever left unless the parent comes out to get them.

Kindergarteners are dropped off in front of their house and only with an adult waiting outside.

In both cases, if no one is waiting outside the child is brought back to school. If parents or emergency contacts cannot be reached the police are called.

All other students, 1st grade and up, are dropped off at their bus stop. the distance from home varies. The driver cannot see all the homes from the bus stop and is not responsible for making sure the children get to them or that anyone is waiting for them.

1st grade is usually not younger then 6.
#66 of 67 Old 09-28-2008, 11:38 AM

...and some people wonder why parents might be hesitant to let their younger kids ride the bus in the first place.
#67 of 67 Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
Um...what's the bus driver supposed to do if there is no one there to receive a young child? I don't know if there's a policy for this or not. I guess I would say if a parent isn't comfortable with their child doing this, they need to pick the child up from school or be home when the bus comes.

Jenn
Um, keep the child on the bus and take them back to the school or bus base until a parent/guardian is located? My boys, who are in K and 3rd grade would not be allowed off the bus without an adult present.(and they're dropped off at our driveway) Our school system(thankfully!) has a system in place for such situations. Of course the parents are responsible for making sure someone is there to receive their child but sh!t happens, KWIM? I find it very comforting to know that if something weird happened and I couldn't be here in time, they wouldn't leave my sons here alone. I'm so very surprised that many others have a different experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page