Special Ed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-29-2001, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like ds will qualify for services thru Spec Ed and therefore they will take his twin as a role model.

Anyone have any positive experience w/ Preschool Spec Ed? I tried to get the teacher to answer my questions, but she told me that *if* he qualified, she'd fill me in....
#2 of 9 Old 11-29-2001, 06:21 PM

Hey, I responded to your otehr post, too

Jimmy absolutely loves his preschool. His is really small, though, only 6 or 7 kids in the whole program. I have a had a good realtionship with every one involved on his team, andhis teacher is wonderful.

My advice, go in well prepared. Have independant evals done, and be present for all school evals, at least until you can trust them, yk? Have your ped, current therapists, etc write out their recommendations for therapy and interventions. Remember, IEP means INDIVIDUALIZED education plan, it must be tailored to your CHILD'S needs, not those of the school. Their program has to fit him, not the other way around. Volunteer in the classroom and buddy up to the teacher, therapists at school, if you need to. Also, you don't have to sign anything at the IEP meetings you don't want to, you can take it home and think about it.

A good email list for kids with mild disabilities that has lots of great support and info is kidpower. Check out their website at http://www.kid-power.com
They are geared to kids with brain injuries, but there are kids with other difficulties on there as well.

Contact april@kid-power.com to subscribe.

Goodluck!

Carrie
#3 of 9 Old 12-15-2001, 01:32 AM

Hello....I seem to be in the very same place as you are. My twin boys are 3 now, and have both tested with profound expressive and receptive language delays. One of my boys may qualify for the special needs preschool. He will be observed in January by the head of the program. I am feeling a bit in the dark, but I am learning. The most important thing, I now realize, is that *I* am the most important person in my children's lives....and *I* must be their biggest advocate. QueenCarr gave you good advice....It wasn't until after my boys had their IEPs that I looked for help, and found out that I didn't need to sign at the meeting. Live and larn, as they say.
#4 of 9 Old 12-15-2001, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks momacat- are you in my neck of the woods, by any chance?
#5 of 9 Old 12-15-2001, 01:50 AM

No....I am in Fairfield county, CT. My inlaws are up closer to you, in Pomfret, CT.
#6 of 9 Old 03-10-2002, 09:05 PM

#7 of 9 Old 03-21-2002, 02:39 PM

We just found out that our son (turning 3 on April 2) is eligible for the preschool "disablities" program because of his expressive language delay. He will be starting on April 8. We are going to have a HUGE problem with separation! Please keep us in your thoughts and I will check in here. Thanks.
#8 of 9 Old 03-21-2002, 03:11 PM

hi,
prayers and hugs,
maybe he will find out it is lots of fun soon after he gets there and it will be allright fror him!
#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2002, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hello there! Is the program he will be going to flexible about allowing him to take his time getting used to the program, which may include allowing you to stay with him for as much time as it takes? I think this will be critical, as he won't be able to relax and enjoy the benefits of the program unless he is comfortable with things, and o.k. with you leaving. Many 3 year olds do fine if they can take it at their own pace.

Do keep us posted! (and email me privately if you want to discuss more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page