PG after Infertility/Loss - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 166 Old 01-14-2009, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay, everyone is doing so well, I'm so glad we are through or almost through the first trimester!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#122 of 166 Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM

I have felt the babe moving for a week now. This is becoming more and more real. I have been a weepy mess I think because I am finally allowing my self to accept I am having a baby! The emotions are just flooding me. I started crotcheting her a lovey.

I saw my midwife last week and she had the most wonderful book for sale in her office. It's called Painless Childbirth. http://www.joyinbirthing.com/ I really wish the author had called it something else because it's about so much more. I have a feeling people will be put off by the title and not read it. It is the best most healing book I have come across. Spiritual Midwifery changed my life and labor with my son 5 years ago. I never went to a place of fear and felt very connected to my body. This book is so much more. I read half and had to make myself let go of it because I really want a friend who is due in two weeks to read it. If I could afford it I would send it to each and everyone of you. Please take a look at it. I wish I could put into words what it has done for me.

Mommy to Ryah 12, Reanna 11, Parker 6 and Cooper 3 months
#123 of 166 Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 PM

I haven't posted in a bit. Things are going well. I'm somewhere around 17-18 weeks. Had a wonderful appointemnt with my OB last week. My nuchal fold screen came back excellent, heard the speck's heartbeat. I am unfortunately going to have to start driving much further for my appointments, which is a pain but so worth it because I *love* my OB. He told me if I go into labor when he is not on call then he will make sure I get assigned to one of the midwives (he does most of his rotations with the midwife group he's in). We go for the big u/s on the 29th. . dh is so excited about the possibility of finding out whether we get another dd or ds.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#124 of 166 Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM

It is so nice to read all these happy PAL updates!!

I'm 12 weeks and a couple days and I had an appointment today. We heard the heartbeat right away. :

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#125 of 166 Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 PM

I am really happy about all these wonderful updates too! I am 15 weeks now and its starting to really sink in...I am going to have a baby! :
#126 of 166 Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM

I think we are all going to be having babies! SOOOOOOOOOO happy to see all the good news.
Now I am starting to freak out a little bit that I am probably going to have another baby, LOL!

Thanks for the recomendation TurtleWoman, I am going to see if my midwifrey collective has those 2 books. If not, I might buy them.

#127 of 166 Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

I had a midwife appt last Friday and it went great. Of course, she had trouble finding the heartbeat because we figured out that my uterus is sort of hanging out low, resting on my bowel. She said that wasn't unusual for a mom who's previously given birth and she told me to do lots of kegels. So I guess I'm getting a little saggy down there! I can't help but wonder if it's because I have had so little sex drive since I got PG... but I think it will pick up soon.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#128 of 166 Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM

I too have struggled with worry/doubt at least every day with my pregnancy. I miscarried between my 2 kids at 12 wks (baby died at 7 wks) and I didn't pass the baby until after I found out. (called a missed miscarriage) I guess that is why I worry so much. This time, I had an ultrasound at 8wks that showed a healthy heartbeat, and then at my 13.5 wk appt, they ended up doing another ultrasound since they couldn't find the heartbeat by doppler. Again it showed everything healthy, but you can imagine my fright!! I was thinking "here we go again". Anyhow, I have felt the baby move, but at this stage the movements are so few and far between (and slight) that I still worry. I guess I just need to remind myself everyday that no matter what happens, God will be there for me and I will make it through. (just like last time) Plus I've been reading out of Genesis a lot lately and figure that if God can make all that he already has, forming another baby in the womb is simple! So I just need to trust in Him! But it is hard to remind yourself every second of every day!!!
#129 of 166 Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Sorry katylynn that you had such a scare and I"m glad everything is OK!

#130 of 166 Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Just bumping us up.

I hope all our lovely PAL and PA Infertility ladies are doing great!

#131 of 166 Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katylynn View Post
I guess I just need to remind myself everyday that no matter what happens, God will be there for me and I will make it through. (just like last time)
This is a really good reminder. I'm not religious, but it's good to take the long view. I feel the same as you - I'm not sure what movement is supposed to feel like, but I think I am feeling some. But it's few, far between, and slight, and could very well be my imagination. But I think my uterus is growing! And my belly! This is all very reassuring to me. Sometimes I think how exciting that dh and I will be parents, and other times I'm not convinced it's real at all. Sometimes I think it won't be real until there's a live baby in my arms. Anyone else live from appointment to appointment, just waiting to hear the heartbeat?

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#132 of 166 Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
Sometimes I think how exciting that dh and I will be parents, and other times I'm not convinced it's real at all. Sometimes I think it won't be real until there's a live baby in my arms. Anyone else live from appointment to appointment, just waiting to hear the heartbeat?
I think that's pretty common for people who have struggled to become (or stay) PG. So most people on this thread I guess.

I am still not convinced either.

#133 of 166 Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM

It still doesn't seem real to me either. I am hoping as I start to feel more movement, like the ones you cannot ignore, it will seem real!
#134 of 166 Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Please please please check out the book Painless Childbirth. I can't explain it but my fear is gone after reading just the first few chapters. I really wish she had called it something else...http://www.joyinbirthing.com/

I feel healed. I went from living in constant fear to really enjoying my pregnancy and believing everything is going to be ok.

#135 of 166 Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am living from appointment to appointment as well. I still haven't allowed myself to love this baby. I am so scared of losing this one, too, that I just can't yet. When I had my first, it was immediately after I discovered I was pregnant that I was so protective and felt such immense love for him and with my second pregnancy I was the same. Just full of love. And then I lost my baby. And now I am unable as of yet, to allow those feelings again.

I hope that once the movements of the little one or when I find out the gender, I may be able to let that love in.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#136 of 166 Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
Sometimes I think how exciting that dh and I will be parents, and other times I'm not convinced it's real at all. Sometimes I think it won't be real until there's a live baby in my arms. Anyone else live from appointment to appointment, just waiting to hear the heartbeat?
Crashing here from the August DDC (though I'm more likely to give birth in July). I just wanted to say this really hits home with me. I'm 12 weeks pregnant now, and I've already had several scans with this pregnancy, yet I'm convinced something bad will happen before the next one. DH is planning names, picking room decor, etc., and I'm just not prepared to commit. The baby appears to be healthy and there's no actual cause for concern, still I can't help having that underlying sense of dread. I'm doing my best to appreciate every moment of this pregnancy, but I really think it's sad to be so far removed from innocence.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#137 of 166 Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM

My last scan was over 2 weeks ago and I am hoping to hear the HB at my midwife appointment next week. I will be 15w3d so I don't know if we will hear it since I had anterior placenta with both my other 2 kids.
It does make me nervous. I have my "big ultrasound" on Feb 25th.

I think it is very normal for us to be nervous. However, I think I might take TurtleWoman's suggestion and look at the book she recommends.

#138 of 166 Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 PM

I thought I just posted this...I'll try again.

I am going to buy to buy the book too. Thanks for the suggestion, TurtleWoman. This is likely my last pregnancy so I really want to enjoy every moment.

Last night right before bed I drank some OJ. Both DH and I felt the baby kick once. DH's arm was just around me but he said he felt something. It was the most distinct movement I have felt yet. :
#139 of 166 Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I do have to say, I'm 17 weeks now, and I'm not living in fear anymore. But I'm also not making big plans, you know? Two more weeks and I can hear the heartbeat again, and another few days and we have the big ultrasound!

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#140 of 166 Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM

I have been feeling a few big movements. They make me soooo happy I tear up! Heard the heartbeat on Wednesday. It took a bit to find it and I was freaking! I am having a level 2 ultrasound on the 11th I will be 19w1day that day. I am so excited not nervous at all. I can't wait to prove to my dh it's a girl. Of course if i'm wrong he will make fun of me for ever! Glad you all are doing well!

#141 of 166 Old 01-30-2009, 05:42 PM

That's great guys, I cannot wait to feel some movement. For now my expanding abdomen is my only proof something is going on in there since the u/s almost 3 weeks ago.

#142 of 166 Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Wow, we were buried on Pg 3.

I heard the HB at my 15w3d midwife appointment on Tuesday. Looks like I ahve anterior placenta AGAIN so I doubt I will feel movement for a while.

#143 of 166 Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Hey everyone. I am just wondering if anyone did the quad screen and got ... disturbing results? The probabilities for trisomy 13 or 18 went WAY up, and while they are still low, it's a bit worrisome, since they are supposed to go DOWN after testing.

I'm thinking I might go for the amnio, but keep thinking I cannot take that risk ...

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#144 of 166 Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Hi Beth, I am sorry you are stressed about this. I am waiting for my quad screen results right now and since I am almost 42, I am pretty stressed about it.
The chances of you having a perfectly normal baby are still MUCH higher than not.
As far as having the ammnio goes, if you think it wil make you feel better then maybe you should do it.
They used to say the risk was 1 in 250 for ammnio but recent studies show it to be much lower than that (like 1 in 650) and if you go to someone who specializes in ammnios it is even lower.

Big hugs whatever you decide.

#145 of 166 Old 02-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post
Hey everyone. I am just wondering if anyone did the quad screen and got ... disturbing results? The probabilities for trisomy 13 or 18 went WAY up, and while they are still low, it's a bit worrisome, since they are supposed to go DOWN after testing.

I'm thinking I might go for the amnio, but keep thinking I cannot take that risk ...
I got an elevated risk for Down Syndrome in my first pregnancy and did go on to have an amnio. It was so stressful, and I swore I would never do any genetic testing again. Until I got pregnant. I just needed to do it for my peace of mind. Did it in my second pregnancy and again this time. It really depends on your personality and how you process results, risks, etc.

Is your screen still less than 1/200 risk aka a "screen negative"? Also, depending on your age, you can have an elevated risk based simply on your age, even if the blood work or u/s are totally normal.

I hope you get the answers you need and feel reassured.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#146 of 166 Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post

I went rounds about the different screenings as well (I will be 39 when I deliver). I finally decided that I'd skip them just for the reason you posted - I knew having a probability number instead of a definitive yes/no would drive me nuts. My doc has never lost a baby to an amnio in 20 years of practice, so that helped solidify my decision to just get an amnio. I think that if you can find someone really competent at amnios, and if you will keep stressing over the quad screen results, then consider getting it done for peace of mind.

That being said, I had my amnio 2 weeks ago and the results were supposed to be back by Wednesday and they still haven't come in! I hate the wait!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#147 of 166 Old 02-07-2009, 02:05 AM

I started feeling movement last Tuesday, which is early because I was only 14 weeks. With my first PG, I had to wait until week 20 to feel any movement -- that was torture! It's nice to feel this little guy in there doing its thing from time to time. They're just little occasional kicks right now, nothing you can feel on the outside.

I've been feeling more confident about this PG because this little one seems determined to stick around. I think my fears center around the child having problems -- serious disabilities, mainly. I know the odds of that are low, but I think my concerns stem from how much I hear about PG risks now that I'm 35. No one talked to me about these things when I was 32 and PG last time, and I felt confident that my baby was going to be fine back then. (She was.)

So I'm going to wait anxiously for my level II u/s at 20 weeks and hope everything looks good. I opted for no amnio/CVS because the risks of the procedures are higher than my risk of having a baby with trisomy 21 or trisomy 18.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#148 of 166 Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorsky View Post
I think my fears center around the child having problems -- serious disabilities, mainly. I know the odds of that are low, but I think my concerns stem from how much I hear about PG risks now that I'm 35. No one talked to me about these things when I was 32 and PG last time, and I felt confident that my baby was going to be fine back then. (She was.)
I know what you mean. I was 33 with my first DD and 35 with my second DD and some of the people I saw talked a lot about risk with DD2 when no one did when I was 33. It freaked me out. In the end, I had a healthy baby but I worried a lot more with DD2 than DD1. Now I will be 39 when this babe is born and I am a little worried. Although this time I am a lot more at peace and remember the likelihood of a healthy baby is much higher than the likelihood of a baby with a trisomy.
#149 of 166 Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Hi ladies, still waiting for my Integrated Pregnancy Screen results to see if I would move forward to u/s.

Going to Cuba for a week later this week. Excited, it has been a long hard winter here.

#150 of 166 Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Veganmama, enjoy.

We've got spring-like weather here and I plan to enjoy it. I need to get out and walk for my health and my sanity.

The nurse midwife at my appointment yesterday didn't seem too concerned about my numbers. I still have a really bad "feeling" about an amnio, and while I know that's not very scientific, I'm going with it. Only 3 weeks until the 20 week u/s anyway, and if I had to wait 2 weeks for the amnio results, I'd be in about the same boat.

Plus, the assistant couldn't get a heartbeat with a doppler yesterday so we had ANOTHER u/s. I'm not thrilled about all this but it is reassuring to see baby. At least one hand has the right number of fingers, I think.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page