exercise...what are you planning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've read all over the place about exercise helping with so many aspects of pregnancy, so I really want to be diligent about it. The problem is I have zero exercise habit right now. I lead a moderately active life, I'm a full time student, and walk 15 minutes to/from the bus stops every day and the 15 minutes to work and back, as well as traipsing up and down the stairs at school everyday, but I think some more sustained activity would be beneficial. We have an exercise bike, and I think I'm going to start trying to do the 30 minute program on that at least 3 times a week, and I'd really like to get back into some yoga.

What are everyone else's plans?

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#2 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I run and my goal right now is to stick to at least two runs each week until it becomes too uncomfortable. Today I did my long run, 10k, and I really realized how much of an impact this pregnancy is having on my body already between the higher heart rate and the very necessary bathroom break half way through!

My Christmas present from my parents is a pass to the pool/gym so I'm going to take advantage of the exercise equipment and drop in fitness classes as much as I can. I've also got some DVD's at home including a pregnancy yoga one that seems pretty neat so I'll try to work those in.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#3 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 PM

Running for a while. Walking throughout. And belly dancing for optimal fetal positioning!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#4 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM

I am trying to swim a few days a week, I teach swimming 30 or so hrs/wk, so I spend a lot of time treading water and lifting kids up and down (trying to stop this)--I had a desk job when I was pregnant last time and gained 63lbs, so I'm hoping I'll do better this time around as I am more active. We'll see...I'm starting out WAY less fit this time around but almost 10lbs lighter...we'll see. Oh yeah, I start school again in January, and sense there is NEVER parking on campus, I will probably be doing lots of walking lol.
#5 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM

I work as a personal trainer, but that definitely doesn't count as exercise. I teach 3 older adult exercise classes a day (which is active, but to me doesn't count lol). I will continue cardio and weight training at least 3 days a week. I am also planning to do some prenatal yoga 1 time a week at a local prenatal yoga studio.
#6 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 11:47 PM

I don't have much of an exercise routine now, but I've been getting to the gym for the elliptical or tread mill at least a few days a week (hoping to make it most days once the fatigue wears off). I've also done a prenatal aerobics dvd, and I have a prenatal yoga dvd that I haven't tried yet. I'd like to do 30-45 min of moderate exercise 5-6 x week. Right now it's about 2-3 x week. I know it makes me feel soooo much better, but when I'm so tired it's hard to get motivated!

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#7 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 12:16 AM

right now, i'm continuing my runs 4-5x a week. i'm definitely slower and my heart rate goes higher. when i feel uncomfortable running, i plan on switching to walking but increasing my distance to make up for it. i am SO looking forward to having my first fit pregnancy. in the psat, i have exercised zero and completely given in to all my food cravings. i'm really determined this time.

does anyone have any favorite safe workout videos to recommend? i have only tried a couple and i want to be prepared with a list to request from the library when the snow comes.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#8 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 12:40 AM

I hoping to take a yoga class next semester at my college, if the teacher will let my knocked-up self into the class we'll see.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#9 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 AM

I have a prenatal yoga DVD and we walk 2-3 miles most days. I have to do low impact stuff since I have a bad knee. I would love to work out on an elliptical!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#10 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Speed-walking or running a few times (2-3) per week, as well as swimming 3 times per week. I hope to be able to swim 1 kilometer soon, which is about 40 laps in my local pool. Wish me luck! Also, playing with my kiddos in the snow and walking to and from work. :

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#11 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM

those of you who have a dvd that you like, would you please share the title? i'm compiling my library request list. thanks.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#12 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 05:54 AM

Ugh. We are a one car family, so motivating myself during the day when I am housebound is very hard! There is a yoga class 1x a week locally. It is on Wednesday nights. DH gets home late though. I also heard there was a Baptist Church locally that has classes and equipment.

I am chemically sensitive by choice or by habit, kwim, so I can't swim in Chrlorine pools, and I asked a local gym if they were going to use VOC paints and they were like: I am hoping the machine smell overpowers the paint smell. The Y is older but is right next to the hospital, is expensive.

I did take a walk today, further than I thought. I live on a big piece of country property, my problem is just with motivating myself to go outside when there is no one around. I'm very social.

So I guess my answer is: I'm working on it!
#13 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Just got back from the gym. Ugh! I got hit with a stomach bug a few weeks ago (right before getting pregnant, I guess, or right after?) and am really feeling a few weeks of inactivity. Or, maybe it's just the pregnancy.

I need to make an extra effort in the winter because I don't usually get my bike commute in, and that 40 minutes a day makes a huge difference. Plus, the darkness and cold weather really bum me out, and I need to boost of exercise.

I usually HATE yoga, but I have ordered some pregnancy yoga videos from the library because some days I don't feel like doing anything more active. I'll post my reviews later!

Yeah to all of us for trying to keep active this pregnancy!

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#14 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM

Since I am spotting, I've been advised to be pretty inactive - no exercise or sex for a while. I'm already feeling out of shape - huffing and puffing after going up stairs, feeling like my stomach has no muscular support for the way it's poking out a bit, you know. I am actually sort of looking forward to being able to exercise again, even though I am also nervous about how out of shape I will be! Prenatal yoga and walking will be my first steps...and okay, probably the majority of my exercise program for the majority of the pregnancy. Without the gym, anything else is kind of hard in the winter, anyway.
#15 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I did my exercise bike on Saturday, it felt pretty good. My goal is to get that in at least 3 times a week. I am also hoping to pick up some good prenatal yoga dvd's with a best buy gift card we got. Any dvd rec's would be welcome to me too.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#16 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 03:44 PM

I plan to walk and do some pre-natal yoga. I always (pregnant or not) plan to do yoga and it never happens though, so I don't know what the odds are. I have a 2-year-old who thinks it's great to climb all over mommy while she does poses, which makes it slightly less relaxing and a lot higher impact!

I too have been advised to take it easy because of bleeding, so for now I'm trying to take leisurely walks. I hope to step it up a bit in the second trimester.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#17 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM

I plan on continuing to do what I do when not PG. I run 3 times a week, do yoga twice and work out with a personal trainer once. I like to kid myself that I will get to the gym one more day on my own for weights but it hasn't happened in almost a year.

With DD I ran until I was 7 months then switched to swimming (I used to be a competitive swimmer) bcasue I had bad sciatica.
With DS I ran until I was 8 months PG then switched to swimming because I was too fat to run.
I didn't do yoga back then.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#18 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I plan to continue to attend my advanced Ashtanga Yoga class 3x a week as long as I can. So far the pregnancy hasn't affected my practice other than too many inversions makes me a little dizzy. I try to practice at home at least 2 other days so a total of 5 days a week. Sometimes that is easier said than done with a two year old.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page