Healthy, REASONABLE weight gain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It just occurs to me as I sit here enjoying a rare moment of peace before DD and DH wake up that I need some accountability.

When I was pregnant with DD, I gained nearly 50 pounds. Since I'm 5'3", it was pretty significant and try though I may, I cannot justify 50 pounds of weight gain on my frame as "healthy!"

I have always struggled to stay healthy, but not being able to exercise, going through the summer where ice cream was the only thing I could stomach, etc. really packed on the pounds.

I never lost ALL the weight, and now I'm facing this same problem again. I have been famished for weeks, but so far am snacking very sensibly, but am TERRIFIED of gaining so much weight again. Trying to exercise as much as I can, of course, but so very tired ...

I have my first appointment with the midwife next week and will certainly discuss this with her, but would love to hear from others who are going to try to manage their weight reasonably and healthfully this pregnancy.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#2 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm 5'2", normally around 100 lbs, and gained nearly 50 w/DD1. W/DD2 I gained 35. DD1 was 7lbs 1oz, and 3 days "late," while DD2 was 7lbs 6oz and 10 days "late," both with APGARS of 10, so I don't think the lower weight gain the second time around negatively affected the baby in any way.

I think my biggest problem the first time around was eating too much ice cream! W/my second, I focused on eating healthy foods, eating less junk than I do when not pregnant (not that I eat much to begin with!), and regular exercise (walking and belly dancing, a little running in early pregnancy).

I can't gain weight when not pregnant, but when I'm pregnant, I seem to gain way too easily.

Naturally, I'm planning on following the model of my second pregnancy this time around. Hope it works again!

Also, for those times when I am starving, I try to eat a healthy high fat snack. Say, one piece of toast with peanut butter, instead of five pieces of toast with jam.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#3 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post
It just occurs to me as I sit here enjoying a rare moment of peace before DD and DH wake up that I need some accountability.

When I was pregnant with DD, I gained nearly 50 pounds. Since I'm 5'3", it was pretty significant and try though I may, I cannot justify 50 pounds of weight gain on my frame as "healthy!"

I have always struggled to stay healthy, but not being able to exercise, going through the summer where ice cream was the only thing I could stomach, etc. really packed on the pounds.

I never lost ALL the weight, and now I'm facing this same problem again. I have been famished for weeks, but so far am snacking very sensibly, but am TERRIFIED of gaining so much weight again. Trying to exercise as much as I can, of course, but so very tired ...

I have my first appointment with the midwife next week and will certainly discuss this with her, but would love to hear from others who are going to try to manage their weight reasonably and healthfully this pregnancy.
Sigh. This might change as the pregnancy progresses, but I can't even fathom eating enough to gain weight right now. I just want to throw up all the time. But my midwife said that I should expect to gain 25-35 lbs. I'm currently 5'5" and 125lbs. I figure if I eat healthy food I'll probably be okay.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#4 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I think it totally depends on your body. I put on between 50-60 lbs with both of my pregnancies (I'm about 115-120 pre pregnancy weight). With both boys I lost it, without trying, between 6-9 months. So for me, it's a lot of weight, but my midwife and I truly believe it's what my body needed to gain. If it was too much weight, it would have been harder to get rid of.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
If it was too much weight, it would have been harder to get rid of.
I don't know that that's necessarily true for everyone. I felt so much better (more energy, etc.) at the end of my lower gaining pregnancy. And I lost all the weight in less than 6 months both times. Most of it by 3 months. I have stretch marks on my calf from my first pregnancy! :

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#6 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 PM

I gained 50 lbs with my first pregnancy and only lost 20 of it before getting pregnant again. This makes me about 30 - 40 lbs over weight - I'm 170 right now and am 5' 6". It seems like nursing made me so ravenous after I gave birth that I just wasn't able to loose any weight after those first 20 lbs. Funnily enough, now that I am pregnant, my appetite has gone way down. I am totally commited to not eating the way I did the first time. I had so many Mcdonald's milk shakes and fast food meals. It was horrible! Since Sam was born though, all of us in my house eat so much better so that will continue with this pregnancy. I'm sticking with all natural foods - organic if possible. Plenty of fruits and veggies. No fast food!!! Because I was eating so much extra before I got pregnant, I am actually eating less calories now than I was. I feel this is okay though because I am still eating 300 more calories than a normal diet. So, I am hopeful that I will gain a nice 15 - 20 lbs this time and loose it all shortly after giving birth and then I will just need to work on the rest that I hadn't lost yet when I got pregnant. I just hope I don't get so hungry again when I start nursing a new newborn!
#7 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM

I don't really have much in the way of suggestions, but I'm similarly minded this time.

I *felt* a little heavy before I got pregnant last time, though I think maybe that's just the weight I'm supposed to be naturally (5'7" and 145lbs), b/c I gained 35 lbs and 2 weeks after birth, was back to 145lbs. Like it was 100% baby-related weight. I attributed this to doing a better job than pre-pregnancy of going to yoga once a week, and in the last trimester taking a swimming class (like giant preggo-lady water aerobics, pretty humorous), just so I could get to be in a pool. I was in better shape when I gave birth than when I got pregnant. My pre-pregnancy jeans fit better AFTER pregnancy than they did before.

Anyway, my point is that I never could really get a handle on my eating since there were always so many restrictions on it - I was either nauseous and therefore picky, or so pregnant that I couldn't eat much at a time, etc. BUT I could exercise - but I didn't last time and won't this time until the nausea wears off. I can't do yoga even while trying to hold back the puke. :

I think the trick is to stay away from foods with no nutritional value (chips, junk, probably the ice cream people mentioned, etc), and make sure that once you start feeling more functional, be diligent about taking time for yourself to go exercise. We'll see how that pans out.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#8 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM

I gained 40lbs with my first pregnancy.
I'm 5'3" and started off around 135lbs. Normally I'm about 125lbs, but I spent a long time TTC through fertility treatments and gained a bit of weight from that.
I lost all of the weight + an extra 10lbs in 6-7mo after delivery of my ds.

This pregnancy I started around the same weight. I'm not too worried about gaining another 40 or 50lbs, as long as the baby is healthy.
It took us another 1.5yrs to conceive the second time, so worrying about how I look is the least of my worries.
#9 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 AM

I gained 48 lbs. last time (I'm 5'9" and started out at 163). This time I'm starting at 177...bad I know but I found I'm one of those people who has a really hard time losing the weight and I'm pretty sure it's due to nursing (since I've never before had a problem losing weight when I wanted to). So here we are at week 9 and I've gained less than a pound! I'm very happy about that. However, I'm trying really hard not to worry about my weight and rather focus on what I'm eating. If I eat healthy food, then it shouldn't matter what the scale says. My body will gain what it needs to. Of course all this is complicated by nursing a 17 mo too.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
This pregnancy I started around the same weight. I'm not too worried about gaining another 40 or 50lbs, as long as the baby is healthy.
It took us another 1.5yrs to conceive the second time, so worrying about how I look is the least of my worries.
Fetch, I probably don't have to clarify, but I'm not really worried about how I LOOK! We're all going to look huge come June & July! I'm worried about being miserable, unable to move, more exhausted than I need to be, unable to keep up with my daughter, and then, after giving birth (please God) so huge I have to buy all new post-pregnancy clothes, which is what happened last time. I really struggled with PPD, and feeling like a leaky, out-of-shape hippo did not help my self-esteem or my desire to take care of myself.

Of course the main thing is the baby is healthy, but I believe the baby has a better chance of being healthy if *I* am healthy, you know?

Although my daughter's penchant for ice cream probably can't entirely be laid to blame on my eating habits while she was in utero, can it?

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#11 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm trying not to gain quite so much weight this time around. I gained about 40 lbs last time. I had just started working in a professional kitchen and we were doing a lot of menu development at the time. I ate everything in sight (a lot of what we serve is baked goods/dessert items).

I still work there, but only one day a week. And I am vegan now, so mindless eating of broken cookies really isn't an option like last time.

I always looked back on that pregnancy wondering why we ate so much take-out. After cooking all day, I'm sure I didn't feel like cooking any more. This time around, I'm cooking maybe every other day. The thought just makes me want to puke!

I'm hoping that once the m/s subsides, I'll be able to get back on the healthy eating track. Right now, the only thing I can stand to eat on a regular basis is potatoes and sun-dried tomato bagels.

love.gif

#12 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post
Although my daughter's penchant for ice cream probably can't entirely be laid to blame on my eating habits while she was in utero, can it?
hee hee, I've wondered about this. My daughter is ADDICTED to chocolate... and "the darker the better" - a phrase I must have said to DH like 8 million times during my pregnancy. What 2.5 yr old eats 90% dark chocolate and asks for more?

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#13 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexing View Post
hee hee, I've wondered about this. My daughter is ADDICTED to chocolate... and "the darker the better" - a phrase I must have said to DH like 8 million times during my pregnancy. What 2.5 yr old eats 90% dark chocolate and asks for more?

You know, my oldest has loved dark chocolate from the time he was 18 months old, crawled up on our table, and ate some dark chocolate foil wrapped hearts (foil and all) out of the candy bowl. And I'm pretty sure I never ate any during pregnancy. But dh and I are dark chocolate fiends, so we've always had it around.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#14 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM

I started this pregnancy at 190 lbs, I am 5'8" tall. I plan to gain about 15-20 lbs. That has worked well for me in the past.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#15 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I'm 5'2", normally around 100 lbs, and gained nearly 50 w/DD1. W/DD2 I gained 35. DD1 was 7lbs 1oz, and 3 days "late," while DD2 was 7lbs 6oz and 10 days "late," both with APGARS of 10, so I don't think the lower weight gain the second time around negatively affected the baby in any way.

I think my biggest problem the first time around was eating too much ice cream! W/my second, I focused on eating healthy foods, eating less junk than I do when not pregnant (not that I eat much to begin with!), and regular exercise (walking and belly dancing, a little running in early pregnancy).

I can't gain weight when not pregnant, but when I'm pregnant, I seem to gain way too easily.

Naturally, I'm planning on following the model of my second pregnancy this time around. Hope it works again!

Also, for those times when I am starving, I try to eat a healthy high fat snack. Say, one piece of toast with peanut butter, instead of five pieces of toast with jam.

We are the same size

The thought of gaining more than 40 lbs really kinda freaks me out, and small as I am, I've always felt my weight was healthy for me, as I eat a lot and don't have to try to maintain my weight. I'm focusing on staying active and making healthy food choices, both of which have multiple benefits aside from keeping the weight gain reasonable.

movingmama, did you get comments about your small size and your ability to give birth? I'm really hoping to avoid those, but if they come, I need some snappy comebacks.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#16 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM

I worked my butt off to lose 33 lbs this summer and I'm really hoping to end this pregnancy with a gain smaller than that. I'm still starting out a good 30 lbs over my ideal weight so I really shouldn't need to gain a whole bunch.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#17 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 03:40 PM

i'm 5'8" and with my first pg, i gained 70# pounds. ugh! i really think that i hvae so many bad memories of being pg because of my weight gain. i always start off slender and then just gain a ton. previously, i ate junk, junk, junk and didn't exercise one bit. i didn't even walk around the block. i have been vegan for years but i always caved into cheese cravings before.

this time, i'm starting off healthier with a regular running routine. i am NOT going to give into non-vegan cravings either. every time ithink about it, i look at pictures of factory farmed cows and that's all it takes for me. i also do not buy junk. if it's here, i'll eat it. if i want sweets, i hvae to make them and then at least, they are made with whole wheat pastry flour, etc. i'm also continuing to exercise. i'm running on weekends when dh is home and during the week, i'm taking long walks with the kids. pushing 100# up hills in the jogger is tough and great for my arms.

i am so committed this time! i feel a little self-centered focusing on weight so much but i need to feel good about myself this time. this is what i'm needing the most support for during this time.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#18 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm hoping not to gain too much at all. I am still 40 pounds heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight from my 4 year old. I have suffered from relentless light headed/dizziness for the past 2 1/2 years with no diagnosis, so it's been really hard to exercise at all to get the last 40 off. I was still 20 pounds heavier from my first pregnancy when I got pregnant the 2nd time. So I've held on to 20 pounds from each child.
Hopefully, this time around, I won't gain much. I am really trying to eat healthier, no fast food at all, high protein snacks and lots of water. I'm scared to death to get any bigger than I am now. I know my body doesn't need anymore weight for a healthy pregnancy If I can just maintain this weight, I'll be really happy.

Do you all find it a TON easier to eat right when you're pregnant? I can do it for my baby, just can't manage to do it for myself. I'm hoping to adopt some healthy habits that really stick with me this time.
#19 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
movingmama, did you get comments about your small size and your ability to give birth? I'm really hoping to avoid those, but if they come, I need some snappy comebacks.
I did get a few when first pregnant, but not near the end! Guess I looked big enough then.

#20 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
I just have to comment because the size comments are one of my pet peeves. I'm a bit bigger than you (115 pre pregancy and 5'4"), I gave birth to a 10 lb 10 oz baby with a 15 1/4" head totally naturally without any complications. Took all of 5 minutes of pushing. Feel free to share that if someone comments on your size! Of course, I was squatting in water. I doubt he would have come out laying on my back with an epidural in the hospital. But small women CAN give birth without any complications to big babies.

#21 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I just have to comment because the size comments are one of my pet peeves. I'm a bit bigger than you (115 pre pregancy and 5'4"), I gave birth to a 10 lb 10 oz baby with a 15 1/4" head totally naturally without any complications. Took all of 5 minutes of pushing. Feel free to share that if someone comments on your size! Of course, I was squatting in water. I doubt he would have come out laying on my back with an epidural in the hospital. But small women CAN give birth without any complications to big babies.
That's awesome My current line is usually something about how if small women couldn't give birth, Asians would have evolved bigger women.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#22 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 PM

dd1: pre-pregnancy 125 lbs, at birth 185 lbs (gained 60 lbs). 8lb 15oz baby.

dd2: pre-pregnancy 125 lbs, at birth 205 lbs (gained 80 lbs). 9lb 8oz baby.

This pregnancy: pre-pregnancy 145 lbs

I'm 5' 6.5" tall. I really, really did not like gaining so much weight either time. It wasn't ideal for me, and was a result of not making the world's healthiest food choices, or just eating too much. Though I returned to pre-pregnancy weight easily after dd1, after dd2 I stuck around 170 for a long time until I consciously started eating better and being more active. I would have liked to have lost another 10 pounds before conceiving, but I wanted a baby!

I plan to stay under 200 this time, and would like to gain no more than 40 or so pounds. I usually gain a lot of my weight in the first trimester, and I haven't weighed myself in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if I was already about 10 pounds heavier.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#23 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Well, I'll just say that as a midwife, I don't routinely weigh women at all. If they want to keep track of their weight, fine by me. But, it doesn't mean much to me.

What is more important is that the mother is eating enough, esp enough calories, and that baby is growing normally. Eating healthily will help to prevent excess unwanted weight gain sometimes. What I usually see is women who start off on the thin side tend to gain a lot more weight (even when they eat wonderfully!) and women who start out on the heavier side have minimal weight gain. I've even seen women gain 5 lb their whole pregnancy, but birth a 9lb baby. Those women are already overweight, though, and their bodies compensate.

If you are exercising (which is a good thing!) you need to make sure that you are eating extra calories, though, to ensure you have enough calories for the pregnancy. Calories, preferably from healthy whole foods, are more important than loads of protein for a healthy pregnancy.

Focusing on good, healthy foods and eating to appetite are the best things for a healthy pregnancy with healthy weight gain.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#24 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmom View Post
i am NOT going to give into non-vegan cravings either. every time ithink about it, i look at pictures of factory farmed cows and that's all it takes for me.
This is one of my biggest problems right now! We've been vegan (as a family) since spring. I've had next to no issues with cravings. I used to be a huge cheese and ice cream person, but it hasn't been something that I've missed until now. I think it might be a combination of being pregnant (cravings/morning sickness that seems to only tolerate crap food) and nostalgia that comes with the holiday season. I associate certain foods with the holidays, and some are hard to re-create in a vegan fashion. When pregnant, I also seem to like to return to foods from my childhood, and most of those are not vegan. So it is a bit of a struggle.

But I keep telling myself, if I was having a craving for our dog, Princess Pug, I wouldn't kill her and eat her "just this once because I'm pregnant."

love.gif

#25 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM

With DS I started at 157 and 5'6 (I know that sounds like a lot but, I actually was pretty fit at the time). I weighed in at 220 a few days before his birth. I think it was mostly water weight though, I was like 170 by my 6wk check-up. On the other hand I had a desk job and was eating terrible lol.

This time I started at 150 (but, not very fit lol...) I don't think I've gained anything yet--though I did notice my fingers and toes are starting to swell some (I gained like 10lbs in my first trimester with DS--I was barely sick at all with him). Anyway, I'm hoping it's less--but, I'm not really stressing it either...I do think I'm more active and eating WAY better. Darn it though---I TOTALLY crave salt and sweet while preggo!! Strange, because normally I don't eat anything sweeter than strawberries lol...I don't even like fruit yogurt--I eat plain yogurt.
#26 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 05:05 PM

I'm starting out 40 lbs over this time. I'm hoping to only gain 15-20 lbs. My main thing will be watching serving sizes. I tend to be really hungry while pregnant and have a hard time with that. I'm going to try to stick to healthier choices. This pregnancy seems to be going like my first where I'm not liking sweet very much. I went from needing chocolate every day to not wanting it at all. I'm having trouble finding protein that sounds good though. Chicken is about all that works for me right now. lol

Leigh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page