Homeopathy- Need Advice!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone knew about the safety of homeopathic remedies during pregnancy. I have been avoiding EVERYTHING, but these horrible sinus-like headaches are killing me and I would like to try something. I dont have access to an ND, but I am receiving acupuncture and bodywork and regularly practice yoga and qigong.

I cant find much on the internet about the safety of any specific remedy or even which remedy I should take. My local co-op workers are knowledgable, but hesitant to recommend anything during pregnancy.

Please help!

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#2 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Homeopathic remedies are all 100% safe during pregnancy. They operate on an energetic and vibrational level, and pharmacologically are inert (they are sugar pills, essentially). I tend to gravitate more towards homeopathics in pregnancy (usually I use more herbs), because I know they are all safe and I seem to respond to the subtle effect a lot more powerfully.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#3 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That's very encouraging. I had bought a Hylands blend last week but when I looked up all the ingredients, most of the herbs were contraindicated during pregnancy. So I took it back.

From my new understanding of homeopathy, its diluted so much that the actual compounds are not present anymore? It's confusing....

How do you go about choosing the right homeopathic medicine? The descriptions are extensive but none of them match my symptoms. :

#4 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM

Hi I'm not in your DDC but close-and I happened to see this thread...
The beauty of homeopathics is that even if something is "poisonous" it has medicinal value when diluted to extremely small amounts. I mean EXTREMELY small. I was given homeopathic cocaine by a homeopathic doctor when I was six months pregnant to help with altitude sickness on a backpacking trip (not something I would do again, hiking pregnant I mean) Sounds nuts to see it in print. Either way, some of the remedies seem counter intuitive but they are safe to use.

Could your headaches be hormonal? I have Horrid headaches-note the capital H- in the first trimester from hormones and have to drink large amounts of water to alleviate them.

FWIW I use homeopathics with babies too, they work like magic, I think because they are so subtle in nature.

Good luck mama.

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#5 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
Thanks! That's very encouraging. I had bought a Hylands blend last week but when I looked up all the ingredients, most of the herbs were contraindicated during pregnancy. So I took it back.

From my new understanding of homeopathy, its diluted so much that the actual compounds are not present anymore? It's confusing....

How do you go about choosing the right homeopathic medicine? The descriptions are extensive but none of them match my symptoms. :
It's really helpful if you can speak to a homeopath or a naturopath with experience working with homeopathics when trying to figure this out. What might be the perfect remedy for one person is different for another, they are so individual.

Homeopathic medicines are created by first infusing an ingredient in liquid (usually water, sometimes alcohol, depending). Then one drop is placed in, say, 1 liter of water. One drop is taken out of this mixture, and added in another liter of water, and so on and so on. When you see a dosage, i.e. 30C or 200C on the bottle, that is referring to the amount of times the active ingredient has been diluted. The more diluted it is, the more powerful it is thought to be. To make the little sugar pellets, they are coated in the solution and dried (this is why it's important never to touch the pellets with your hands).

Homeopathics use such a small amount of the active ingredient that they are supposed to stimulate your own immune response. The theory behind it is "like cures like". For example, if someone had a runny nose, you could give them a homeopathic preparation of something that makes their nose run (such as onion) to encourage their body to mount a response and stop their nose from running.

Clear as mud?

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#6 of 8 Old 11-25-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenmoon View Post
Hi I'm not in your DDC but close-and I happened to see this thread...
The beauty of homeopathics is that even if something is "poisonous" it has medicinal value when diluted to extremely small amounts. I mean EXTREMELY small. I was given homeopathic cocaine by a homeopathic doctor when I was six months pregnant to help with altitude sickness on a backpacking trip (not something I would do again, hiking pregnant I mean) Sounds nuts to see it in print. Either way, some of the remedies seem counter intuitive but they are safe to use.

Could your headaches be hormonal? I have Horrid headaches-note the capital H- in the first trimester from hormones and have to drink large amounts of water to alleviate them.

FWIW I use homeopathics with babies too, they work like magic, I think because they are so subtle in nature.

Good luck mama.
I wish my headaches were hormonal because then maybe they would go away! I had them before pg, all through my cycles. Started as tension headaches and once the tension was gone they continued as sinus-type headaches. Horrible pain behind my eye and at the vertex of my head. I think I will try homeopathy today after a quick consult with my DO. Thanks for the encouragement!

#7 of 8 Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
It's really helpful if you can speak to a homeopath or a naturopath with experience working with homeopathics when trying to figure this out. What might be the perfect remedy for one person is different for another, they are so individual.

Homeopathic medicines are created by first infusing an ingredient in liquid (usually water, sometimes alcohol, depending). Then one drop is placed in, say, 1 liter of water. One drop is taken out of this mixture, and added in another liter of water, and so on and so on. When you see a dosage, i.e. 30C or 200C on the bottle, that is referring to the amount of times the active ingredient has been diluted. The more diluted it is, the more powerful it is thought to be. To make the little sugar pellets, they are coated in the solution and dried (this is why it's important never to touch the pellets with your hands).

Homeopathics use such a small amount of the active ingredient that they are supposed to stimulate your own immune response. The theory behind it is "like cures like". For example, if someone had a runny nose, you could give them a homeopathic preparation of something that makes their nose run (such as onion) to encourage their body to mount a response and stop their nose from running.

Clear as mud?
Crystal clear!

#8 of 8 Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM

I'm a homeopathy skeptic - I tend to think that if something that is essentially a sugar pill is curing your symptoms it's probably just the placebo effect. BUT - the placebo effect is real and can be strong, so ... do whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page