I am in LOVE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husbands stepmom had one of my Christmas presents sent early. She said she thought I could use it. I am so smell sensitive normally anyway, and being pregnant just makes it SO much worse. So last week, UPS showed up with a package from Bed Bath & Beyond addressed to me and I opened it to find and H2O mop. OMGosh, I am in LOVE. This thing cleans and sanitizes with STEAM. NO smell whatsoever and my floors, carpets and couches are GERM FREE.

When my m/s kicks into full speed, this will be my lifesaver. Cleaning products, even the natural ones I use, make me ill to smell.

So I have a question...For those of you with smell sensitivities, what cleaning products do you use that don't seem to bother you? And for that matter, what bath products can you use that don't bother you either?

I have one brand of shampoo that won't send my running for the windows. All I can use is Finesse. LOL I know, it's a strong one too. But for some reason, it doesn't bother me yet....(I'll be up a creek if it does start bothering me. A stinky creek. That or I'll have to shower with a nose plug LOL)
#2 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 AM

Um...none: Right now nothing is really bugging me, but i normally just clean floors and counters with water. For the bath I use Dr Bronners Peppermint (which i could use to clean with too....yum!)

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#3 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Everything is bugging me! I hate the smell of everything, including the throw blanket I'm snuggled under on the couch! I usually clean with vinegar and baking soda - but the vinegar is bugging me a lot right now - so I'm down to just baking soda and very hot water!

I'd love one of those steam thingies, though! Have fun with it!

Unschooling, writer mom of Matt, 22; Lydia, 21; Alex, 18; Liam, 16; Jack, 9; Kiara, 7; Seamus, 5; Anais, 1 and ??? May 2015. About to hit the road in an RV full time. Currently live off grid in Alaska.
#4 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM

I use vinegar mixed with some essential oils for pretty much everything and it hasn't bugged me at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#5 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, vinegar is out for me already. Unfortunately. Any of my method stuff isn't too bad (yet), except for the wood floor cleaner. That one makes me gag. I don't know what I'll do if the bathroom cleaner starts to bother me.

KimProbable, what oils are you using? I've heard citruicy scents are good for morning sickness.
#6 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM

I put in tea trea oil for its antibacterial/antifungal properties and lavender and peppermint for the nice smell.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#7 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Sounds fantastic. Hubby and I were at Baja Fresh tonight and I almost puked when the cleaning lady used blue cleaner on the table next to us. We had to move it was so bad!

Aurora , happy wife to C., mama to 3 : and , lost 12/08 & our 4/24/10
#8 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Um, am I the only one who is avoiding cleaning product smells by just not cleaning?? :

The extent of my housework in the last week has been 2 loads of laundry. M/s is kicking my butt, and I could care less what the house looks like at this point. Of course, my darling dh is doing all the dishes, so that takes care of that.

The steam cleaner sounds fabulous, though!!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#9 of 10 Old 11-26-2008, 03:12 AM

I have sensitivities anyway, so most shampoos/conditioners will bother me if I am not careful (like rinsing SUPER good) but in the bathroom I use Burt's bees citrus facial cleanser...it smells great, and it's even sweet, I accidentally got some in my mouth. haha! I also use grapefruit Method spray for the kitchen, diluted. It doesn't bug me but the lavendar one does. It smells fake.
Oh and vinegar and Baking soda of course. Sometimes oxyclean...also a little gaggy.

Lemon dish soap is gaggy. Most laundry detergents and all softeners (who needs em?) bug me a LOT. I can smell downy from a mile away.

Oh I also use dr. bronners in the shower, Lavender. (I have never used it to clean though!) And bed head shampoo that smells like cookies or something, but it's a little gaggy these days too. Kiss my face hand soap that I just bought at TJ's. The method ones are way too strong, even though I dilute them like crazy in the foam dispensers.

I always use unscented lotions etc...

Most my problems with smells are that they give me headaches and make my nose close up...and cigarettes can get so bad they give me a bloody nose.

Oh and one more. COWS! I live in a dairy community and this is not a pg thing, the smell makes me gag...most don't notice it after a while. IN the summer it actually puts me in a fowl mood if I smell it too long. It's like the opposite of aromatherapy. If anyone has any ideas on what to do about that I would love to hear it!

I am also interested in essential oil mixes people use/like. Most of them don't bother me, it's fragrance that bugs me. Fake crap-ola.

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#10 of 10 Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Wow you DH's step mom has to be the most "in-tune," thoughtful person in the world.

We don't use much besides water for cleaning here....I do have some all-purpose Shaklee cleaner...it doesn't have much of a smell. Then for lotions/shampoos/laundry detergent etc we use unscented anyway because the toddler and I have such sensitive skin. The hardest thing is just cooking...and changing diapers lol--luckily, DH is soooo much more understanding this time around and he really has been stepping in to help more (I should have got pregnant months ago LOL).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page