Pregnancy changing my mothering - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been told not to lift heavy things or exercise too hard or do anything sexual because of early bleeding. I'm a bit stir crazy with the exercise and sex part, but the heavy lifting is the one that's killing me. My 23-month-old son is 27 pounds, and he counts, and it's really making parenting hard. I'm the type of mom who still carried him around everywhere I went. He's used to being on my hip when we shop, while I cook, and when we do just about everything else. I loved to wear him in the Ergo while I cleaned or in my ring sling at the zoo, and now I can't do any of that. He's dealing with it OK. We've had a couple of really sad moments when he cried because he just wanted mama to pick him up. I just feel like this is changing me as a mother in a bad way. I feel like I'm sacrificing the child I love for one who isn't even a sure thing.

I'm not really looking for answers. I just wanted to share with some people I knew would understand.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#2 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Not being able to life your child must be hard!

I have a good friend who had two very high risk pregnancies with 2nd trimester deliveries both times. She had to have a mother's helper during her second pregnancy because she couldn't lift her daughter (and this child cannot walk unassisted due to CP) and was mostly on bedrest.

Maybe getting some help so your child is at least getting snuggles and carrying (if not from you) might help you both?

Just a thought. Hang in there.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#3 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Oh, I really feel for you. That must be really hard. I still wear my daughter every day, and we would both really miss it if it couldn't happen.

However, just because you can't carry him, doesn't mean you can't hold him. I would try to make more time for just sitting and holding/snuggling. You guys are used to cuddling on the go, but it doesn't mean you can't spend almost as much time with him in your arms. With cooking, can he stand on a chair at the counter with you? My DD really loves to do that. Sometimes she wants to be a part of it more than really wanting to be held.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#4 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That would be sooooo tough. I think ATruck has some great ideas. Both of my boys love to be up near me while I'm doing food prep and even though I'm not wearing them it's great bonding time.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 12:35 AM

That would be so hard. Hopefully you guys get some good snuggling on the lap time!
#6 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 01:35 AM

Yeah mama, that must be so hard. I'd try to have someone around as much as possible to hold the little one. I now my 23 month old would have a really hard time with that and I can't imagine what you are going through. Soon enough! s:

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page