what works for you to combat nausea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was lucky and didn't have any nausea with DD. Now I'm 6.5 weeks, and I feel pretty nauseous several times a day. It just started yesterday. I tried sparkling water with lemon and ginger candies, but they just make me more nauseous. Sometimes eating carbs helps, but sometimes I feel gross a short while later.

I'd love to hear what works for you.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#2 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 PM

I'm not sure if this works yet- but it worked for a friend and my DO recommended it. It's called NauseaEase and its a blend of vitamins and herbs, you take 2 pills a day and supposedly it'll keep the nausea at bay. It's pricey ~$16/60 pills but worth it to me if I dont have to suffer. I started taking it today because I had mild nausea last night, but it's too early to tell.

There is also an accupressure point on the inside of your wrist maybe 1.5" up the arm.

Good luck mama!

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#3 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Eating protein rather than carbs

Eating Citrus fruit

Sniffing a lemon

Having some ginger tea (I draw a bit of ginger root in Rooibos Tea)

Getting enough sleep
#4 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM

I've been using sea-bands acupressure wristbands. When positioned correctly (not hard) they really work! They have a website, or you can find them at most pharmacies.

I also use ginger tea, ginger "beer", cold carbonated seltzer, and spearmint breath mints!
#5 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 PM

What has been working for me is seltzer mixed with either a bit of pineapple or lemonade.

And snacking on a nuts, seeds, raisin mix.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#6 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Lemon in my water.
Eating before I get too hungry (or even if I'm not hungry and am starting to feel a bit sick)
Eating garlic. (seriously)

Leigh

#7 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 PM

Not letting myself get hungry
Keeping as hydrated as possible
As much protein as I can stomach
Oranges
I highly recommend the motion sickness wristbands
Using mouthwash to get rid of weird tastes in my mouth
Root beer popsicles
Sleeping with the ceiling fan on, or window open
Eating before I get out of bed in the morning

Loving my DH and my two active little girls (9/06), (6/09). Anticipating a new bundle of joy (7/11).
#8 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Drinking lots and lots of water. I notice that when I am dehydrated, the nausea is MUCH worse. I can't believe it took me two pregnancies (with n/v for both pregnancies until the end) to figure this out.

Eating frequently. I think that when my stomach is empty, it really starts to make me feel queasy. Small frequent snacks help.
#9 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 AM

Eating constantly
Vitamin B injections
Staying hydrated

The sea bands worked last time but not this time

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 08:10 AM

Making myself eat something super salty first thing in the morning (bacon) has done wonders for me!

I still feel very nauseous, but without eating something salty I puke all day
#11 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Vitamin B6 and acupuncture have both worked well for me in the past. I'm not feeling it yet, but it usually starts for me at week 7, so that's this week. We'll see!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#12 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Uugh!! I've tried all suggestions here, and a still having a hard time.

The acupuncture does help, but only for a few days. I've had 2 treatments, a week apart, so far.

I take the NauseaEase every day, twice a day. I don't really think its doing much.

Of course, it doesn't help that my own cooking makes me gaggy and dh doesn't really know how to cook.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#13 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I got sea bands yesterday (as someone recommended), and they seemed to help. I was able to eat normally at Thanksgiving and not feel grossed out.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#14 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM

With both of my boy pregnancies I only had a single food aversion and that was also the only thing that made me sick if I ate it. With DS1 - it was lasagna, and with DS2 - it was pizza. With DD1, who was the #2 child, I had horrible sickness (hyperemesis) and the only thing that I could keep down at all was chicken bouillon. So far with this pregnancy, I've felt queasy a few times, but no pukies. Rock boob, however, is another story!
#15 of 26 Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 AM

What is causing your nausea changes the remedies that will help. For me, I figured out that mine is caused by sensitivity to the hormones of pregnancy and the stress on my liver (makes biley vomit, sorry if tmi). So for me lots of bitter greens and liver strengthening herbs help. If it is nausea due to low blood sugar then the frequent eating, midnight snack, heavy protein dinner works better.

My favorite remedy so far with this pregnancy has been red raspberry leaf tea with a bit of spearmint and nettle leaf (a quart a day). Hydration is a good thing so I figure I might as well guzzle something that tastes good and helps my body.
#16 of 26 Old 11-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Ugh, I'm so sick I had to take Zofran. I have to work (personal trainer! eek, does not mix with puking) super early- I leave the house at 5:30am, and I absolutely MUST work so we can even halfway get by and I had to call in sick all last week because I could not MOVE. So Zofran it is. I've tried everything but without these meds I am seriously next to the toilet all day long, which is really hard with a toddler as well!

I'm a trad food eating very anti-meds person, but I don't know how I can work if I don't... don't murder me *hides.* I didn't have to work for most of my pregnancy with DD, just school. So this is way different.
#17 of 26 Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonygoony View Post
What is causing your nausea changes the remedies that will help. For me, I figured out that mine is caused by sensitivity to the hormones of pregnancy and the stress on my liver (makes biley vomit, sorry if tmi). So for me lots of bitter greens and liver strengthening herbs help. If it is nausea due to low blood sugar then the frequent eating, midnight snack, heavy protein dinner works better.

My favorite remedy so far with this pregnancy has been red raspberry leaf tea with a bit of spearmint and nettle leaf (a quart a day). Hydration is a good thing so I figure I might as well guzzle something that tastes good and helps my body.
The bile vomit (yellow usually) is what comes up whenever you throw up with an empty stomach. Its the normal contents of an empty stomach. It doesn't necessarily indicate that the liver is stressed.

With that said, supporting our livers is always a good idea.

For me, its a combination of pregnancy hormones and low blood sugar. I do feel better if I eat frequently, but no matter what, I feel sick in the morning. For me, things got better last time once my blood volume started really expanding, and so the pregnancy hormone levels aren't as concentrated.

Homebirth midwife
#18 of 26 Old 11-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayjean View Post
Ugh, I'm so sick I had to take Zofran. I have to work (personal trainer! eek, does not mix with puking) super early- I leave the house at 5:30am, and I absolutely MUST work so we can even halfway get by and I had to call in sick all last week because I could not MOVE. So Zofran it is. I've tried everything but without these meds I am seriously next to the toilet all day long, which is really hard with a toddler as well!
Don't feel bad, mama! I have, in my worst moments, considered meds. But, I can just laze around my house all day. If I had to go to work at 530am, I would do just the same as you!

Homebirth midwife
#19 of 26 Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 PM

I am counting these days until this icky nausea is over. I have tried lots of stuff, to mostly no avail. I even started to contemplate - "Am I crazy?" or "Am I mentally inducing this somehow?" So I really tried to dig deep & be honest with myself about my fears of miscarriage, etc, only to come the realization that: A) I am not crazy, just pregnant. and B) there are a lot of total dodo's out there without an ounce of self-awareness who go through an entire pregnancy with no nausea. So basically, I must be producing enough hormones to grow a dozen babies, and have to accept it until it goes away. In the meantime, I am going to focus on the hydration a few of you mentioned. I don't think I am taking in enough fluid........Also, when I was looking at icons, this ribbon did not say that it stood for anything specific, so I hereby declare the grey ribbon = In support of first trimester moms who feel like throwing up every minute of every day.
#20 of 26 Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM

OK, so I KNOW this is not good but the nausea has been really bad this time and I throw up at least once a day-usually more :
But I swear a Mt Dew makes me me feel so much better..... don't throw things at me! I only drink the half size cans and try to only drink one a day and never more than 2. I tried sprite or sierra mist but they just don't help as much.

Luckily I only discovered this recently so I haven't been on the caffeine all 9 weeks-only about 2....

I thought citrus was working for me for about a week until I starting throwing up all citrus.....that was bad. It seems to change week by week for me which is not very helpful!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#21 of 26 Old 11-30-2008, 07:31 PM

My cousin - who had baby #4 last year - swears by gingersnap cookies. Ginger is good for digestion, so I picked up a whole slew of gingersnap cookies from the dollar store. They're cheap, but good. I eat a few when I feel really sick and it seems to help.
#22 of 26 Old 12-01-2008, 12:37 AM

Ginger People Ginger Chews
cold crisp tart apples with a slice of medium cheddar Tilamook :
and, I never thought I would resort to it but my ms is horrible all day can't get off the couch much less accomplish anything like homeschooling meal prep housekeeping etc.
The whole unisom thing. :
But it works, I can actually barely function, not well mind you, but it is better than nothing.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#23 of 26 Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp777 View Post
I've been using sea-bands acupressure wristbands. When positioned correctly (not hard) they really work! They have a website, or you can find them at most pharmacies.
Another testimonial for the wristbands... They got me through my first PG and now this one. Very helpful at reducing or eliminating mild to moderate nausea.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#24 of 26 Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM

I want to second staying hydrated. My morning sickness was much worse with my first one, which I am in part blaming on the fact that my first trimester was in the summer in south Texas. We had a car without air conditioning, and I was throwing up at least once a day. I am pretty certain that I was dehydrated, but water sounded so unappealing.

This time I am generally less nauseous, and I've noticed that on days when I work (i.e., I sit at a desk with nothing better to do than sip water all day), I feel much better than on days when I am busy at home.

I also find that the seabands work some. I had a fabric kind last time that didn't at all, but this time my sister sent me some that look like hospital bands, and they are much better.

Finally, I would advocate eating what you can stand and not being afraid to say no to food, opening the fridge, opening the garbage can, or doing whatever else totally gags you. Last time I found that I could always eat Honey Nut Cheerios, and I kept a box by the bed to munch on in hopes that it would prevent that first thing in the morning puke (it sometimes worked). This time around what works changes daily. Two days ago I was LOVING pineapple, and yesterday I couldn't imagine eating it. Oh, I also found last time that sucking hard candy helped (especially on airplanes), and this time I am loving gummy bears.

Good luck. I feel for you. I think to some extent that it's true that there's not much you can do but wait it out.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#25 of 26 Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM

My nausea has seriously subsided. I still have gaggy moments but it's not all day every day. I'm thinking it might have to do with this nasty head cold. Because I can't actually smell much of anything I have far fewer gag triggers. Now the only things that make me feel nauseous are mental things (brushing teeth for example).

Not that I recommend going out and trying to get a cold. . but I am less nauseous now.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#26 of 26 Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

I think it has worked! I took the dehydrated thing to heart & started drinking an incredible amount of fluids and my nausea has subsided! I feel so silly for not realizing this earlier....

I was feeling so sick that the thought of water was disgusting (I am usually a totally avid water drinker & carry a canteen everywhere), so I realized I was taking in pretty minimal fluids... I bought several vitamin waters - they contain electrolytes, but no food color or caffine, and I mix 1 part vitamin water to like 4 parts water & drink 8-10 of these a day. (so it's really diluted, mostly water, but has a small citrus taste)

As a bonus: the formula 50 has extra folate, vit C & D & a few others....

Again, I am a little embarressed that I let my nausea go on for so long before realizing this. THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE - it probably should have been common sense, but has saved me many a frustrated tear.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page