Giving Up Stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Judgement free thread please!

I have given up caffine and alcohol both of which I do not even have regularly but it is a little harder than I thought, maybe because this pregnancy was unexpected?

I usually like a little Green Tea or Mate before I have to do something big like make Thanksgiving Dinner and it was just a little less productive and accomplishment driven w/o it . . .

Also the recipe for my dinner called for White Wine and I so wanted to take a sip. I don't think a sip is a problem in general, but I am teatotalling for the first trimester, so it was a little bit of a bummer.

Anyone else want to whine about giving up stuff?
#2 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM

It is SOOOOOOO hard for me to give up coffee (I don't even drink too much, but, I just love a cup in the morning and maybe "socially" all day long when DH's grandma is in town because she makes the best ever lol).

I am totally off coffee this time though and really minimizing anything with caffeine. I don't drink too often, but, I do like having a couple when I go to mom night outs/ins...so that's going to be a change. I think after the first trimester I will start drinking a little again...I did with my first and while BF. I will probably hold off caffeine until the baby is "term."

I was at a church ladies dinner recently, and this lady told me how she hadn't even had chocolate for for like 8yrs because of pregnancy and breastfeeding....more power to her, but, there is no way I could be that strict LOL.
#3 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 12:47 PM

It probably sounds bad, but I'm having a hard time not having any alcohol! I really don't drink much but I really do enjoy a nice rum and coke after one of those really hard days with the kids, and with my pregnancy hormones I'm having those days more than ever. I'm also not looking forward to missing out on drinking during the holidays. Baileys and wine go hand-in-hand with Christmas dinner and wrapping presents.

And since this is a judgment-free thread, I'll admit that I haven't given up coffee. I'll have a cup or two about as many days as I skip. My brain is just so non-functional some days and I find it really hard to keep up with the kids without a small kick.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#4 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm having a hard time with alcohol! I'm not a big drinker... but I do love a nice glass of red wine. And watching my husband and FIL sharing a really nice bottle makes me a bit sad. It took me a long time to enjoy wine, and now I cannot even have any.

Caffeine wasn't as hard for me as I thought it would be. I'm not a coffee drinker, so that's not an issue. I drink caffeine free tea and Coke already due to caffeine induced migraines. I've found myself not even wanting my caffeine free Coke or any form of pop. It doesn't seem appealing at all! It's just been water, water, and more water for me.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#5 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM

I gave up all things caffiene (chocolate included) with my last pregnancy. I decided not to be as militant this time. No soda, and no coffee, but I will indulge in the occasional glass of tea. It's all about balance, yeah?
#6 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm also less militant this time, and have had sips of wine and beer and most mornings a small cup of coffee. Last time I did have a small glass of wine on occasion later in the pregnancy, and I am sure I will do the same this time.

It is hard giving up the drinks at times, especially when others are enjoying.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#7 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I drink coffee as much as I feel I desire, which is usually about 1 cup every two days, sometimes one a day. The adverse effects associated with caffeine in pregnancy are based on an intake of 350 mg per day, which is more than two cups of brewed coffee (almost 3). So I think I'm okay!

Alcohol, never really cared for it, though I was planning on having a drink with some colleagues in December to celebrate our near-graduation from midwifery school! Ah well, I'd rather have a baby than drinks. That said, I do fully support pregnant women having an occasional drink, especially in later pregnancy. :

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#8 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Now I feel really guilty about the half glass of wine I had with my Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. I thought a half glass was ok in the first trimester with a big meal? I will abstain now though, and found cutting out caffeine easy - luckily I'm not really affected by it, so can drink caffeine free without noticing.
#9 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalu100 View Post
Now I feel really guilty about the half glass of wine I had with my Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. I thought a half glass was ok in the first trimester with a big meal?
Half a glass of wine with a big meal, only once???
PLEASE don't worry!!

I don't touch alcohol in the first trimester, but a couple of times, I had had some wine before I knew I was pregnant with 2 of my kids. My midwife says that so many moms freak out that they drank a bit of alcohol, but it is really no big deal when it is a little bit once in a blue moon.

I am not a militant.
Please don't bash me, but I do have drinks with caffeine, eat soft cheeses (I am in Europe -- every doctor here says that they are safe), and have an occasional sip of wine on 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Actually, several midwives said that it is very helpful to have a glass of wine and a hot bath to relax your body in the last weeks of pregnancy.
#10 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:18 PM

I am an everything in moderation kind of person. Nothing is very appealing to me right now, but through both of my other pregnancies I had an occasional glass of wine or cup of coffee if I wanted to.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#11 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 PM

Wow, I feel better now! I am not alone! I am laying off soda, but I am not a big soda person anyway. I don't drink much but my kahlua (double wammy!) at christmas I will miss.

I do love my coffee especially in the colder months. I just bought a new coffeemaker before the holidays and now I can't use it! Last time I was pg I couldn't handle the smell of coffee so it was easy, this time it does not bother me at all. So that means I want it constantly, if I break down and get a latte or something I order it decaf. Which is very difficult in front of people that don't know, they know I love me some caffeine. (wow! I sound like an addict!)

The other stuff, like feta cheese, I just have a hard time remembering not to eat! I did have some at an art reception and am working another soon which will have all kinds of difficult things to pass up. Oh well, totally worth it!

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#12 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:33 PM

I cut way back on caffeine with my first pregnancy and never really worked back up again. I usually have 1 soda a day. I haven't been able to do that for weeks, though, because the thought of soda (other than ginger ale) makes me ill. I haven't been able to eat chocolate, either. How cruel, right after Halloween and through Thanksgiving, not being able to stomach chocolate! I couldn't even eat a slice of my aunt's amazing chocolate cream pie yesterday. : Can't stand the thought of alcohol, either, though I did have a hard cider to celebrate when I got the BFP.

I haven't been able to eat enough to worry about cutting things out. Right now I feel like I'm in survival mode - if I think I can stomach it, I'm eating it! The only thing I had to "give up" was my prenatal vitamins, unfortunately. I realized they were what was causing the severe vomiting. I'm waiting for a shipment with a new kind, hopefully they won't make me sick, too.
#13 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyHeartsy View Post
The other stuff, like feta cheese, I just have a hard time remembering not to eat! I did have some at an art reception and am working another soon which will have all kinds of difficult things to pass up. Oh well, totally worth it!
As long as the cheese is pasteurized, it shouldn't be a problem.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#14 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am also missing my nervine herbs! I like herbs like Skullcap, Passionflower, etc. I haven't looked them up yet, but I am just feeling like this first trimester I want to be a saint. I am comforting myself by knowing that whatever happens, I am more clean living and stable in terms of diet/living situation than I was when DS was cooking.
#15 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, we eat Raw Cheese only! : But it has been aged over the 60 days and is hard. I am definitely not giving up Sourdough Bread and Kombucha though! :P
#16 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Mine was Crystal Lite. I drank the heck out of the stuff (I know, even with all the yucky stuff they put in it) because it helps me to not eat other sweets, drink soda, etc.

Other than that, I'm just trying to lay off a ton of sweets and eat more fiber...unfortunately I seem to need it this pregnancy.

Oh, and not food/beverage related, it's been hard giving up working as hard as I usually do around the place. I'm having problems so I need to take it easy, but it's soooo hard!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#17 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=Quindin;12696131]Half a glass of wine with a big meal, only once???
PLEASE don't worry!!

Yeah, let's not talk about the night I got drunk and was probably a couple days pregnant... We were TTC, but I really didn't think it would happen on Cycle 2, and quite honestly, forgot .

I'll mention it to the midwife, and I know I shouldn't worry, but I think it'll always be at the back of my mind...
#18 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Don't worry mama! I got a wisdom tooth AND two mercury fillings removed just before I conceived this LO. (Like two weeks and one week before!) The fillings were removed without my consent basically. I had already decided not to risk exposure. Plus I had to take vicoprofin for my wisdom tooth. And fentanyl/versed, etc. I am just taking the additude, if I have a mutant so be it!
#19 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't worry about most things. I'll still eat most things I would have pre pregnancy, but I had a pretty healthy diet anyways. Things other people avoid like lunch meat doesn't worry me (I try to only eat uncured) and I still eat raw cheese. The risk is sooooo low and I buy from reputable sources, so I'm not worried.

I would have caffeine in moderation, but my body won't tolerate it right now. And I don't drink much anyways, so cutting that out is no biggie. I would do it though, regardless, since I think things like alcohol just aren't worth the risk to me.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#20 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Since I don't drink alcohol (I'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old); I don't drink any coffee, soday or tea (except Rooibostea which is caffeine free), I decided that there is NO WAY I'm cutting out my chocolate!
#21 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalu100 View Post

Yeah, let's not talk about the night I got drunk and was probably a couple days pregnant... We were TTC, but I really didn't think it would happen on Cycle 2, and quite honestly, forgot .
I'm not a big drinker at all, but with both DD and DS I got totally drunk between conception and finding out. With DD we had been trying for a year and a half and I had kind of given up hoping, it was quite a surprise and I felt so bad! With DS, we weren't trying, but we weren't taking any precautions, either. With this one I had a couple before I found out, too. I really don't think it's THAT big of a deal. I don't drink after I find out (well, I may have a weak drink at New Year's or something, and I did have that celebratory hard cider). I think the problems come along when people have a drink or 2 every day, or binge drink every weekend. But half a glass of wine here and there? I don't think it'll cause a mutant-baby.

Like someone said, everything in moderation!
#22 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Cheeses are my friend and I will not insult their good nature by avoiding the soft ones. I honestly dont know if they are all pasteurized, but they're aged and from the Co-op. I have also eaten my eggs over easy- I love them that way and they're all free- range antibiotic free local eggs so boo. Chocolate has made it into my mouth recently and I did not protest. I think it may again...

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#23 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM

I am the bad one. I drink more caffeine while pregnant. I have a small cup of coffee every morning. I eat only raw dairy- I can't digest it otherwise and while pregnant I need all the protein sources I can find. Protein is super hard for me, being a vegetarian that hates eggs. In my last pregnancy I drank wine all the time. Not a lot of wine, but probably a glass a week throughout. My MW told me a glass a week with a meal, and I took her up on it. We tried to stick to biodynamic red wine- so no pesticides and lots if antioxidants. My best friend was pregnant in France at the same time I was pregnant and her Dr told her no more than two glasses of wine a day. One with lunch and one with dinner. I think we make too big a deal of the alcohol thing here. Should you get drunk? Of course not! Will a random glass of wine hurt the baby- I think not. Although I guess from some people a glass of wine might be enough to make them tipsy....
#24 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM

One more reason to love the French!

I did caffeine with my first pregnancy but have since discovered that it does nasty things to me in general so I gave it up long before this pregnancy. I do raw dairy (including milk and cheese), I don't worry about cooking my meat or eggs thoroughly, etc. BUT I know exactly where my dairy, meat and egg products come from (I buy almost everything directly from local farms with whom I have long-term relationships). On the other hand, I won't buy the organic lettuce or spinach from Costco. It often comes from Mexico and I don't feel like I can be assured of it's safety.

I do really miss alcohol. I decided I'd avoid it the first trimester...but I'm starting to rethink that idea since the holidays stink with no glass of wine with dinner

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#25 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 PM

I have been avoiding alcohol and caffeine, since I got my BFP. I got a negative at 11ish dpo, on our 11th cycle trying and I was spotting so I was *sure* this was not the month, and totally bummed. I had a few glasses of wine, since that is the one thing I normally looked forward to during AF, alcohol without guilt. oops. I think it's probably not a big deal, although I worry (because I worry about everything).
#26 of 66 Old 11-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Only alcohol, and only for the 1st trimester. I'm looking forward to a bit of beer once we know all is well.

I'm eating a lot less sweets but that's just because I'm trying to stay healthier and they honestly don't sound good to me, for a change.

I keep waiting for coffee to repulse me, but it hasn't happened yet. As tired as I am, I'm not complaining!

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#27 of 66 Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 AM

I'm abstaining from alcohol during the first trimester. But I do need a little caffeine! I have a cup of black tea most mornings and either another cup of tea or a pop(!) many afternoons. I loved coffee during my last pregnancy and had about a cup or two a day, but this time I have a strong aversion to it.

I normally don't drink much alcohol anyway, but after the first trimester I'm less strict about it. I'll have a beer or glass of wine every once in a while, if it sounds good. I was just telling my family last night that I loved Stroh's beer during my last pregnancy! I had a beer every few weeks, and it had to be Stroh's! It's such an old man beer!

I'm not much of a chocolate-lover so that's not a problem for me.

Lunch meats are, however! I don't even normally eat them, but when I'm pregnant I crave cold pastrami or bologna sandwiches! It's so weird. After my daughter was born all I ate for lunch for a week were bologna sandwiches. And I haven't had one since (2 years later).

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#28 of 66 Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 AM

Ooo, I was just thinking of writing a post like this and there it was! Right now a bunch of my friends are over and are downing a beautiful bottle of Patron. I don't remember giving up alcohol being as hard in my last pregnancies, but now that I think of it, wine especially has become a part of so many routine parts of life. A glass of wine after clinic with the midwives, a drink with the family, there are just so many occasions in life that involve alcohol!

Another thing that is killing me is how many people in my life smoke. Oi! It is doing nasty things to my nausea. Stinky smokers! They are always good about not smoking around me, but with my heightened sense of smell, it just slays me and totally undoes all of my efforts not to vomit. Rar. Sorry, there is current stank to fuel this post (yuck!)
#29 of 66 Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananababies View Post
Lunch meats are, however! I don't even normally eat them, but when I'm pregnant I crave cold pastrami or bologna sandwiches! It's so weird. After my daughter was born all I ate for lunch for a week were bologna sandwiches. And I haven't had one since (2 years later).
Ha! That sounds like me after I had my ds. I think I had a turkey sandwich a day for 2 weeks!

Lunchmeat is one "no-no" that my dh actually voices a concern over. He works in food safety and know more about listeria and micro-organisms in food than I do, and he doesn't usually tell me what to do, so when he voices an opinion regarding something I should or shouldn't do, I respect him enough to listen. I can go w/ out my turkey, bacon and ranch sandwiches for 9 months, and he can't complain when that's all I want the first 5 days post partum.

I switched to decaf when we started trying for ds, over 2 years ago. With that preganancy, nursing, and then starting to try for # 2, I just haven't taken it up again. My mom brings her own caffenaited (wow I spelled that wrong!)coffee and french press when she comes to visit. We're coffee fanatics in my family

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#30 of 66 Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM

I cook my lunch meats to steaming when pregnant.

Giving up my yummy Organic Valley raw milk sharp cheddar, and I just stocked up on a bunch, too. :

I made an eggnog cheesecake w/rum in it yesterday, thinking the alcohol would cook out during baking, but DH said it's still there. Maybe he just wants more cheesecake for himself!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page