What's everyone eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Let's keep a little thread going that holds us all accountable to eating healthy for growing our sweet babies!

Of course, we'll all have days where we eat crap, and that's okay too!

I thought it would be good to get yummy ideas, chat about foods that are good during m/s and later on, cravings!

:

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'll go first!

For breakfast this morning, I had two local eggs from one of the midwives in my practice's chickens, fried on one piece of buttered 7-grain toast. I also had half a mango, and one golden delicious apple. I drank a cup of organic honey ginger green tea and took all my vitamins (a challenge these days, swallowing all those).

Starting to think about lunch....

And I'm roasting a chicken/potatoes for dinner. Mmm.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I managed to get down half a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. For lunch I am making a leftover sandwich with Tofurky, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Lunch is the only meal that I feel like eating. I haven't been eating dinner much lately because that is when I am feeling the worst. Hopefully in a few weeks that will change and I'll feel like eating again.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM

I am not eating super good. I still love my ice cream! Especially the holiday ones! Yikes.

I have noticed though, that I want eggs every morning. So we got some cage free brown eggs and I eat them with wheat toast every morning it seems with some yogurt or fruit. Cereal just isn't appealing to me and I am SUCH a cereal person. Probably because I need the protein, I don't eat much meat at all.

Dinners/lunches have been the same pretty much, but I am trying to get more fruits and veggies in. I am having a hard time bringing food to school with me, I just don't know what to bring!

Oh and I am drinking tons of milk. Okay, not tons....

What vitamins are you guys taking? I have some prenatal vitamins that I was given when i had my m/c so I just continued with those and I am taking folic acid as well. Does anyone take anything extra? Any suggestions?

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 PM

At this exact moment I'm eating steel cut oats with raisins, flax oil, and ground flax seed. Yum!

In general, I've been eating way too much cold cereal but it makes my belly happy. The queasiness is leaving me less than enthusiastic about cooking and so I haven't been getting in nearly enough veggies.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
Old 11-28-2008, 04:21 PM

Okay right now Baby and I are eating Chocolate, so :P

But this morning I had his left over (OG) Oatmeal with coconut & raisins. And the thing I am mosts proud of is that I drank a quart of Nettle tea last night and I am about to drink another! It is SO yummy once you get over the initial reluctance (for me). Also when you let it infuse for a long time it is SO yummy and strong!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a steak for breakfast! i am desperate for protein and it really hit the spot! :-)
Old 11-28-2008, 05:09 PM

I can't wait until I can focus on eating healthy. These days, I'm still focusing eating anything to get some sort of sustenance.

Lots of almond butter toast, satsumas, soup, spaghetti and sauce, and water.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm eating similar to what I did before, but WAY more calories. Breastfeeding and being pregnant leaves me famished! And there are some things my body isn't tolerating now that I eat less of, like sweets, but that works for me!

For breakfast today I had a leftover biscuit with sausage gravy (woke up nauseous and it was the only thing that sounded good) and then later some scrambled eggs and a small piece of Kringle. We'll probably have leftover turkey and trimmings for lunch, and I plan on some sort of protein, roasted butternut squash, and broccoli for dinner.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 PM

KimProbable: How did you make those Steel Cut Oats?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I can't wait until I can focus on eating healthy. These days, I'm still focusing eating anything to get some sort of sustenance.

Lots of almond butter toast, satsumas, soup, spaghetti and sauce, and water.
I'm the same way. I pretty much eat whatever I know will stay down at that moment. Unfortunately, it really hasn't been that healthy. But even the thought of eggs makes me nauseous :Puke

I've been eating lots of chicken noodle soup. I had oatmeal for breakfast before I started to feel sick again. I'm hoping that the queasiness will subside soon so I can get more veggies in!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:50 PM

I am not eating horribly good, but I can not get enough of those little mini tangerines. YUM YUM!

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

Old 11-28-2008, 10:46 PM

I had a huge chunk of leftover turkey for lunch. Protein has been tough for me so that was a nice change.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 AM

I've been sad to not be loving turkey. Luckily Thanksgiving brought lots of yummy veg and veg leftovers! Roasted brussel sprouts, kale, balsamic beets, roasted carrots! yum I have been especially craving bitter greens (my liver must be sad from chemical biproducts of hormones) and red raspberry leaf tea.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 AM

Oh, another thing that I cannot get enough of is fresh pineapple!!! We are buying about 5 a week.

Homebirth midwife
Old 11-29-2008, 04:14 AM

Eating... the things that go down and don't try to come back up.

Breakfast-beef broth

Lunch- brown rice with butter and salt, a brown rice cake, and 2 walnuit halves.

Dinner- In-n-Out burger animal style protein style no onions.
(in general I am having a very hard time with simple carbs and animal protein, but this worked any how)

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM

How interesting to see what others are eating! I haven't had severe nausea yet, just a little queasiness and really picky eating habits. I won't be hungry at all, then suddenly I am STARVING and have to still take about 20 minutes to figure out EXACTLY what I want to eat. Once it was tofu and scrambled eggs and spinach and cheese burritos. Another time it was fresh baked french fries with lots of salt and pepper and garlic salt, too! I am trying to buy lots of options at the grocery store so that I can find just the right thing when I'm hungry.

It's interesting to see what the little bean leads me to eat!

Crystal
Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMYS View Post
I had a steak for breakfast! i am desperate for protein and it really hit the spot! :-)
same here! i had hubby cook sirloin steak because i was starving for it. i had it with sprkling water and vitamins.

for lunch im having a green smoothie. i made it for the whole family

kale
frozen banana and blueberries
one squeezed lemon
plain yogurt
bit of water and honey.

its really really good and this way i can eat kale.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

This morning I had a couple of pieces of fruit (pear, clementine) and a glass of milk with my vitamins.

Mid-morning I had a tuna salad sandwich with lots of lettuce on buttered organic 7-grain toast.

Late lunch was leftover roasted lemon chicken with cranberry apple walnut sauce and roasted veggies (yams, red potatoes, carrots and garlic)... this was last night's dinner.

I'm thinking of making Indian food for dinner. Curried chicken, a potato and cauliflower curry, basmati rice, pappadums and chutney.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
I'm thinking of making Indian food for dinner. Curried chicken, a potato and cauliflower curry, basmati rice, pappadums and chutney.
: yummy!

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:56 PM

Reading alot of these things makes me feel nauseous! My appetite and desires change daily. Indian food is one of my faves but i can't stomach the thought.

Today(actually every morning!) I have two eggs over medium on corn tortillas with hot sauce and then an emergen-c

two pickles wrapped in cheddar cheese for lunch

that's it so far, i have to wait to see what sounds decent for dinner. i can't plan ahead
Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Just wanted to share a funny: I keep having dreams of eating excellent, delicious food! Too bad I can't translate them into reality.

Homebirth midwife
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM

My dh made me some gluten free corn muffins yesterday - very tasty! Other than that, I have been craving applesauce, mashed potatoes, chicken fingers (I know - very naughty) and lime jello. I add some of that weird soluble fiber to the jello so it's not a total waste of time to eat it - I think of it as my delicious lime metamucil.
The smell of my pantry and fridge gross me out - I have to hold my breath when I go into either one. Smells really get to me lately.
Now you've got me thinking about Indian food ... so I'm going to make dh go get me some. It sounds really good right now! (Yeah, I might regret it later, but yuummmmm)
Old 11-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I can't go more than an hour without nibbling on something, or my tummy gets that feeling like it's gnawing on itself. I woke up starving this morning, which is weird because usually I don't feel like eating for at least an hour. Today I had pancakes and turkey bacon with juice for breakfast. Lunchtime was consumed by a 3.5 hour car trip back home. I nibbled saltless ritz crackers (it says hint of salt, but there's basically none, and they're nasty) and tortilla chips. I had a cheese stick and a piece of ham when I got home, and we're about to have big mixed green salads for dinner with boiled eggs. I am hungry!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 AM

oh man, for those who are enjoying cheese as much as I am right now, here's what I made for dinner. It's vegetarian but not vegan.

I boiled some rotini (the spiral) pasta noodles, drained and returned to pan. I threw about 1 Tbs butter, then salt & pepper and stirred til butter melted. Then I threw a lot of grated cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese in til it was all melty and super cheesy, and served it over a bowl of steamed broccoli. I topped it with about 3/4 tsp. of spicy brown mustard and stirred it up really good. The mustard added the best flavor! Oh man I had to put the pot away so I didn't eat the whole thing.

Sadly, I started making bone broth out of the turkey left-overs tonight and the smell is making me want to hurl! No more noshing for the night I guess.

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 AM

Today was probably one of the worst days, healthy-wise. I've been concious of what I've been putting in my mouth. I've had 2 thanksgiving meals in the last week, and I can honestly say that neither one gave me the "food coma" that usually happens.

Today was another story. My hubby works a second job on the weekends, but he didn't have to work until late morning, so we enjoyed a nice family breakfast this morning- french toast w/ lots of local apple butter and syrup, decaf coffee w/ cream and chocolate milk.
Lunch- meatloaf and mashed potatoes from the deli at my grocery store (I had planned on going home and reheating pizza, but ds decided he was REALLY hungry while we were getting groceries after church, so I decided it was just easier to eat there!).
Dinner- one of my ds's favorite meals is cheese coneys (made w/ skyline chili from a can). So for dinner tonight I made them, but I also made some veggies too.

I guess the plus side is that I didn't have any ice cream today. And I didn't snack between meals either (really, who would need to after those meals?!).

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Yesterday we had our Thanksgiving at our house, and I consumed an atrocious amount of food. Between work (I work in a cafe) and home, I cooked (and tasted food) all day.

For breakfast, I wound up eating wild rice salad with herbs, pecans, and dried cranberries. I had to make it at work, so I scooped myself a portion before I added the chicken. I also ate a bunch of pineapple while chopping fruit salad.

When I got home, I ate spaghetti with boca crumbles and some ww toast.

For dinner, we had roasted vegetable and seitan stew in acorn squash bowls, cornbread-sourdough stuffing, mashed potatoes and celery root with truffle oil, green bean casserole made with with "cream" of wild mushroom soup, cranberry sauce, and wheat brown and serve rolls (I had the worst time finding vegan rolls!). I ate two pieces of two-layer pumpkin "cheese"cake with a gingersnap crust for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmm.

So far today, it's been cinnamon toast and pomegranate seeds.

love.gif

Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
For dinner, we had roasted vegetable and seitan stew in acorn squash bowls, cornbread-sourdough stuffing, mashed potatoes and celery root with truffle oil, green bean casserole made with with "cream" of wild mushroom soup, cranberry sauce, and wheat brown and serve rolls (I had the worst time finding vegan rolls!). I ate two pieces of two-layer pumpkin "cheese"cake with a gingersnap crust for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
That sounds good Maia (well except for the chicken, LOL). Indian is my favourite.
However my food aversions seem to have kicked in yesterday. I couldn't eat the broccoli in my stir fry last night.
With DD I couldn't eat spinach hated food in general and only craved Thai.
With DS I never threw up but nothing except Indian ever seemed appealing.

So far today I managed some oatmeal with almonds, almond milk, ground flaxseed and bananas.
I was supposed to go out for lunch so I didn't bring my usual homemade soup (lentil today) but my lunch date fell through so I am at the mercy of the food vendors in the building.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
Yesterday we had our Thanksgiving at our house, and I consumed an atrocious amount of food. Between work (I work in a cafe) and home, I cooked (and tasted food) all day.

For breakfast, I wound up eating wild rice salad with herbs, pecans, and dried cranberries. I had to make it at work, so I scooped myself a portion before I added the chicken. I also ate a bunch of pineapple while chopping fruit salad.

When I got home, I ate spaghetti with boca crumbles and some ww toast.

So far today, it's been cinnamon toast and pomegranate seeds.
You rock!! I have only been vegan for about 15 months and I am still amassing good recipes that don't take long since I have a 4.5 and a 6 year old and I work full time.
We've been eating the same 5 meals over and over again lately.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09

User Tag List