Late night births mixed with first trimester woes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just a little tired (needed a little afternoon nap) and nauseous with only a couple pukey episodes until today (5.3 wks). I had a birth that had me out all last night. The birth was beautiful, but it was my first time getting the midnight wake up since getting pregnant. Usually no problem, but I found that I was really spacey at first and then shaky and really nauseous. I was really glad to have help around the house with my two boys today because I slept from 6 am til 10:30 am then all afternoon (just got up two hours ago!) This is the first day that ALL food has sounded repulsive, but some yogurt, nuts, and fruit made its way down ok. I'm a little worried about the next few weeks since I have several births coming up and most are first time mamas. Are there any other mamas out there who have been through this (life on call with first trimester doom)? What has helped you the most?
#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM

This is my first pregnancy that I will be attending births during. I feel for you!!!

I haven't been to a birth since August, but I will be assisting another midwife at a birth in December. I'm a bit apprehensive about it, but I'm hopeful that it'll be ok somehow. I feel sort of normal in the evening, so that's good, I suppose.

I've known of other midwives who have severe nausea/vomiting in early pregnancy. It sucks. Its one of the reasons that I planned this pregnancy for the beginning of my own practice, so I'm not super busy yet.

Sorry I don't have any tips for you. Just try to keep eating at the birth, so the nausea doesn't get too bad.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM

you might find that the adrenaline of the situation helps get you through. good luck!

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't have a surge of adrenaline at births unless there is some kind of emergency. THEN it kicks in.

But, I have found that when I have an obligation that I just have to get through, I somehow do and feel decently ok. Maybe it helps to get my mind off my stomach.

Homebirth midwife
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I guess like anything else in pregnancy, I'm hoping that good nutrition which I consistantly munch will help see me through! Looking at the positive, at least many of the mamas ARE first-timers, that generally gives me a bit more of a heads-up so I'm not careening to births. Lately, even taking 20 minutes to get to births for multips (almost all driving 10-15 mph over the speed limit) has been almost too much (just last month I arrived in time for a placenta!). I guess those are just two seperate worries, the pumping adrenaline from knowing that I may be walking in to quickly set up or help catch vs. a birth that goes on and on (upping the chance that I may need to run outside for some vomit sessions.)

Here is another question then, what are your favorite birth bag snacks to see you through long births? Usually I do nuts or some kind of raw food bar. The bar may work, but I know that the nuts haven't been.
#6 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM

Bars, instant oatmeal packets, dried fruit, jerky (I'm a veggie, so get the vegetarian kind).

Also, at births, the parents normally have food for us to munch on, etc.

Homebirth midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page