Has anyone ever heard a HB at 8wks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first midwife appointment is at 8 weeks and I desperately want to know if that little heart is still beating (I had an u/s at 6 weeks and saw it but that's just so, so early, I feel like I'm still right in the middle of the miscarriage danger zone).

I know 8 weeks is way too early hear anything with doppler, and that 10 is more normal, and 12 is even common, but I want to hear it sooooo bad! I know I'm just being a baby and should learn some patience, but....
So, of course I searched the internet for some claim that it might be possible and one site claimed that 75% of the time it can be picked up at 8 weeks. I totally don't believe that statistic... but I want too

Have any of you ever heard a hb via doppler that early?
Thanks for humoring me

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#2 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 AM

I had an ultrasound at 7w5d and heard it! So delightful!

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#3 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 AM

Anything is possible, but it isn't likely. At 8 weeks, your uterus is still tucked nicely behind your pubic bone. It isn't until 10-12 weeks that the fundus is about the level of the pubic bone that you can really have a chance to hear it with a doppler. In my experience, there are some mamas who you can't hear fhts with a doppler until closer to 13. It all depends on where your placenta is (if it high fundal it will take a bit longer to hear) and. Where your how high up your fundus is.

I know you really want to hear your babe's heart beat as confirmation that all is well. It can be hard to wait to hear it early on.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#4 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 AM

(not in your ddc, but...)

My midwife heard my dd's hb at about 11 weeks, and she said that was uncommon; it's usually later. She doesn't have the newest or best equipment, though, like a hospital would.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#5 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 AM

DH and I rented a doppler last time and we found it ourselves at 10w4d. I now realize we were really lucky and that using a doppler isn't such a hot idea. Hopefully this time we can avoid it.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 AM

Yes, but I was underweight at the time and have a nice broad pelvis to dig in lol.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#7 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Yes, with both of my children. They were 8wk appointments but it could have been closer to 9 for all I remember! I was warned that we wouldn't hear anything and both times we did hear it. They were VERY surprised both times. This time around they didn't even try at my 7 wk appointment... didn't want to cause worry just in case. Good luck! BUT, don't be worried if you can't!
#8 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM

With DS, we rented a doppler and tried it at 9w exactly. We did hear it then, but it took a while to find it. If we were at an appt, I doubt they would have kept looking as long as we did

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#9 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM

I'm glad you asked this question! We are breaking the news at Xmas to our parents, but I won't even be 10 weeks yet (I will be 10 weeks the Saturday after Xmas). I wonder if I can get our midwives to listen for a heartbeat before then. Probably not. I guess I just have to trust that everything is okay! They don't do ultrasounds so I guess my only other option is to get a blood test.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#10 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mine couldn't find the hb until 14 weeks with ds2. Mostly because my uterus is tipped back and baby was at the back part. So don't freak out if you can't hear it, it's normal to not hear it until at least 12.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#11 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
With DS, we rented a doppler and tried it at 9w exactly. We did hear it then, but it took a while to find it. If we were at an appt, I doubt they would have kept looking as long as we did
That's true. Most health care providers won't spend a LONG time looking early on. I start getting uncomfortable after 5 min of trying. If mom insists I keep searching for it, I will. I just don't particular feel good about exposing that young of a baby to that much doppler.

Homebirth midwife
#12 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
That's true. Most health care providers won't spend a LONG time looking early on. I start getting uncomfortable after 5 min of trying. If mom insists I keep searching for it, I will. I just don't particular feel good about exposing that young of a baby to that much doppler.
you got me worried now... whats dangerous about a doppler?

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#13 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Well, it is a form of ultrasound and in fact, is a form of continous ultrasound, while the imaging sort if pulsing. Therefore 1 min of doppler is about equal to 35 min of the imaging ultrasound.

I wouldn't say it is 'dangerous', but I do feel that it is probably the safest policy to at least limit the amount of exposure, at least early on. We simply cannot say definitively if ultrasound is 100% safe for the fetus. It seems to be fine, but we do know that during exposure it does cause heat generation and that causes something called cavetation in the cells. This is on a very small scale, and millions and millions of babies are exposed to it throughout pregnancy and are perfectly fine. I don't mean to scare anyone. It is just something that I personally don't feel comfortable with. There is a part of me that also wants to hear the hb NOW, and I have a doppler in the other room, so it is tempting But I wait. In another 8 weeks or so, I should be able to hear it with the fetoscope. I totally relate to all of you mamas who want to hear it asap with a doppler.

Homebirth midwife
#14 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM

we had a hard time hearing both before 12 weeks. around 14 is pretty good for listening!

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#15 of 19 Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Popping in from April's DDC...

When you can first hear it depends on what strength of doppler your midwife uses:

3MHz is for early heart tone detection (8-10 weeks).
2MHz is for general pregnancy use (10-12 weeks for first tones, then throughout pregnancy and labor).

So, in my practice (unless they prefer fetoscope, of course!), I use a 2 for any mom over 10 weeks, and if I can't hear it with a 2, then I'll offer to use the 3 to see if we can pick it up.

One study showed that when using a 3MHz, approximately 15% of women could hear heart tones as early as 7 weeks. At 8 weeks, it's close to 85%.

I heart my babe at 7w6d -- 3rd pregnancy, non-tipped uterus, I'm on the thin side and I had a very full bladder when I gave it a shot.
#16 of 19 Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 AM

With DD, they tried at 8 weeks but couldn't find it. (I'm decently thin too, which supposedly makes it easier.)

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#17 of 19 Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 AM

With Sam, we heard the hb at 9 weeks. The OB said it was the easiest hb she ever found that early. This time, I have quite a few extra inches of cuddles so I am not going to freek out if they don't find it right away but the next appointment will be at around 10.5 weeks so ya never know
#18 of 19 Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 PM

I was just at the midwife yesterday. At 8 weeks, we weren't able to hear it yet. I am not worried, but it would have been fun!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#19 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

i'm eight weeks and three days, and yesterday was my first appointment with our midwife, too.

she didn't check until we were about ten minutes over our hour-long appointment (hubby had lots of questions)
it felt a little rushed, so while it was happening i didn't really expect to hear anything.
and didn't hear anything, but i'm not worried.
with sagan, we didn't hear anything until weeks 11/12.
next time, we'll find it, i'm certain(ly hoping focusing positive energies)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page