A little early but...what baby carriers are you coveting? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Never had a baby to wear before, but I can totally see my coat addiction easily turning into a baby carrier addiction. Maybe I'm vain, but I love to have a coat that matches my outfit, so now I'm looking at fabrics and thinking of sewing a bunch of carriers to coordinate with. I bought this pattern when it was on sale for $2, and I can use the serger at work to make some wraps.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
For anyone new to baby wearing this site is THE place to go to learn more about carriers and it has a used board:
www.thebabywearer.com
I'm going to check out this board.

But does anyone know what a good newborn carrier for a person with a bad back/neck would be? I want to wear my baby, but I'm worried about it hurting.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#33 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Moby Wrap or Gypsy Mama gauze wraps
#34 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
I'm going to check out this board.

But does anyone know what a good newborn carrier for a person with a bad back/neck would be? I want to wear my baby, but I'm worried about it hurting.
I found that a moby wrap was the most comfortable for the first 6 months or so. It spreads baby's weight over your shoulders, across your back, and down through your hips so no one area is getting too much weight. really, anything with a two shoulder carry and a waist strap is most likely going to work ok. I like the wraps best because you can also slide them around and redistribute the weight a bit as needed.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#35 of 60 Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I found that a moby wrap was the most comfortable for the first 6 months or so. It spreads baby's weight over your shoulders, across your back, and down through your hips so no one area is getting too much weight. really, anything with a two shoulder carry and a waist strap is most likely going to work ok. I like the wraps best because you can also slide them around and redistribute the weight a bit as needed.
I agree with either a wrap or a wider shoulder mei tai. A mei tai might be less intimidating for a newbie to bwing but if you have someone close to show you that would help a lot. There are also free videos around the web showing instructions how to use different carriers.

Just try to avoid the bjorns! They aren't ideal for baby or mama's backs.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#36 of 60 Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a TON of baby carriers, but I think every new baby deserves a new, special one just for them, don't you?

I think I will get a nice stretchy cotton summery wrap for this babe. I have mei tais, ring slings, an Ergo etc. for older babes, but I want a snuggly tiny baby wrap.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#37 of 60 Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM

I really want to wear my baby. Right now on my baby registry (which I'm keeping private until February, probably) I have a Moby wrap and an Ergo. Will I need anything else? Mostly other people will be buying us stuff for the babe, so I don't want to put excessive stuff on there, no matter how cute it is! I'm also trying to keep everything color-neutral so DH can babywear as well.

Alicewyf: doula, wife to DH, and mama to Lillian (7/09) and Daniel (6/12).
#38 of 60 Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnlovebe View Post
I too LOVED my moby. So many times at the grocery store I'd get double-take looks from people, the hey- you've gotta baby in there look.
When my 1 year old was new born I wore him a lot in a gause Moby style wrap. I had so many people approach me at church and say "I thought you had your baby already"...quizical confused look followed by "Oh he is in the carrier!!!"

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#39 of 60 Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post
I really want to wear my baby. Right now on my baby registry (which I'm keeping private until February, probably) I have a Moby wrap and an Ergo. Will I need anything else? Mostly other people will be buying us stuff for the babe, so I don't want to put excessive stuff on there, no matter how cute it is! I'm also trying to keep everything color-neutral so DH can babywear as well.
Very good choices, except that I see that you are in Texas. Moby wraps are really, really warm. Most people stop finding them comfortable between 4 and 6 months, depending on how big your baby is. I am thinking about getting a Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze, which is a wrap that is much lighter weight.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#40 of 60 Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Right now I have a Moby D with fleece in the middle, 2 hot slings (one with the solar veil stuff), a ring sling, a chunei (all I use now for carrying Sam) an Ergo (hate it - need to sell), and a cheapy woven wrap. Once I find out if I am having a boy or girl, I plan to splurge on a nice woven wrap from the TBW FSOT forums. That "should" be the only carrier I buy for new baby. I did love my Moby that I used with Sam but I think a woven can be used for new borns and will last longer. I plan on having this baby in the carrier for like 90% of the day. Hopefully, baby likes my plan
#41 of 60 Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 PM

I have a few wraps, a couple Kozys (mei tais), a few ring slings, a My Bei Bei and a couple pods I made. The only carrier I feel I can say I need is a Gypsy Mama BBS (the stretch one). They are supposed to be fantastic for newborns and last longer weight wise than a Moby.
There are a few other carriers I'd like, but they are low on my list since I have diapers and such to get. lol I have plenty of others that I should be able to use just fine.

Leigh

#42 of 60 Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 PM

I have an Ergo (my FAVE-I still where my 19mo in it...trying to decide if I will buy the infant insert)

I have a Baby Bjorn--not a fan...hurts my back...plus I worry about the baby's hips

I have 2 padded ring slings...these are "extras" that stay in the car--I don't particularly care for padded ring slings..too hard to adjust.

I have a Maya Mama Baby ring sling...LOVE IT--my son just recently outgrew it (actually I can still carry him on my hip with it, but, hurts my back to carry him on front....he thinks he gets to nurse whenever he is in it anyway lol...I used it a lot for the first full year putting him to sleep.

I have a Podeagis that I just learned how to use...it is my back-up for whenever I wash my Ergo.

I think I may buy a Moby--I borrowed one from my mom when my DS1 was newborn and really liked it a lot, so I may just invest in my own now. On the other hand I may go for something like a Mei Tie that could be more easily paired with the Ergo for double carrying---I hope not to do that often....but, who knows what life will be like lol
#43 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 AM

We have 3 slinglings that we used for DD (I have 2 and DH has 1 in his giant size) and an ergo we got when she was 1 year old.

I'd like to get an MT or a Moby. But is a Mei Tei redundant when you already have an ergo?
#44 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM

Has anyone here had any experience with the adjustable pouches, like the Mamas Milk or Kangaroo Korner? I used a hotsling like crazy with my dd, and then figured out how to nurse in a ring sling and loved that, then got an Ergo when she was about 13mo old (got it for free for demoing it at a baby stuff expo). That was the only carrier that dh would "do". We lived in the DC area temporarily then, and we took here all over the whole touristy everything in DC in that.

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#45 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
Has anyone here had any experience with the adjustable pouches, like the Mamas Milk or Kangaroo Korner? .
Lots of people love them. For some reason I could never used the KK because the snaps caused pressure points for me on the shoulder. The snaps weren't on my shoulder directly but the pull wasn't as even as with a Hotslings for example. I tried the KK fleece and cotton and the cotton one was terrible-not even sure if they make that anymore.

Never tried the mamas milk one though the velcro idea is interesting.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#46 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Has anyone here had any experience with the adjustable pouches, like the Mamas Milk or Kangaroo Korner? I used a hotsling like crazy with my dd, and then figured out how to nurse in a ring sling and loved that, then got an Ergo when she was about 13mo old (got it for free for demoing it at a baby stuff expo). That was the only carrier that dh would "do". We lived in the DC area temporarily then, and we took here all over the whole touristy everything in DC in that.

I only tried the fleece KK, which is incredibly awesome, but way too warm for summer. I have not tried the cotton one, and haven't heard many reviews, either.

#47 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Wow, right after I posted the above, I got an email from KK:

For the first time ever, all Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Pouches and Children's
Slings are on sale, 25-50% off! All fabrics including Fleece, All-Season, Mesh and
Solarveil are on sale for a limited time. Please note that there will be no price
adjustments on previous orders placed prior to December 11th, 2008.

To redeem, simply visit KangarooKorner.com and place your order. Your discount will
be automatically calculated at check-out.

SO if you need a new one, get it now, rather than later.

#48 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM

I'm debating getting something for the early months. I borrowed a friend's New Native pouch last time and used a small pillow for the first few months. Since then, I've bought several ring slings, one off-brand and one Babyhawk mei tai, an Ergo, and I made a bunch of linen/cotton pouches which will be great to have for late summer. I also have a German wrap (Austrian, actually) which I never got the hang of, but now that I'm more confident getting a baby on my back, I hope to get a lot of use of out it.

So I really don't NEED anything, although everyone keeps telling me to get a Moby or something for the first few months.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#49 of 60 Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Has anyone here had any experience with the adjustable pouches, like the Mamas Milk or Kangaroo Korner?
I had a Mama's Milk adjustable pouch when ds was a newborn. I liked it, and it was very well made. But I came to realize that as a very large chested mama that pouches just don't do it for me.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#50 of 60 Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM

Ooh, ooh, I was just looking around on Peppermint.com (I'm at work, so it's very naughty - Fridays are hard), and I found a Gypsy Mama Gauze Wrap that I desperately want! July is going to be HOT in Texas (as will August, September, and part of October), so I'm not sure I'm going to want to Moby, but the Gauze Wrap looks thin and Peppermint.com said it's their favorite warm weather wrap.

Baby carrier number 7, here I come!

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#51 of 60 Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 PM

The moby is way too hot for a place like Texas
I was living in Pennsylvania when my 4th was born (he was born in the spring)
I could not stand to wear anything but a very airy wrap

Which Gipsy Mama do you like best?
#52 of 60 Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 PM

There's this gauze one that is green with dragonflies on it. That's the one I'm leaning toward right now. My ds was born in a relatively cold December, so I used my Moby a ton, but I think I'll definitely want something lighter for July.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#53 of 60 Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else used a solarveil pouch/sling? I had a mei tai that I loved but a friend borrowed it and it got stolen at Disneyland
Then I got a ring sling (Taylormade slings) that I really liked but it was a large and the tail hung to my knees which I hated so I sold it.

Solarveil is an open weave but still blocks the sun. I liked that the breezes could get thru and it was still stretchy. The only bad part is that they need to be washed a fair number of times before they get soft IMO. I thought they felt a bit scratchy when they're new.

I'm definitely looking at getting a solarveil pouch or sling but it looks like the company is not making the fabric anymore so I'm already scouting around so I'm sure to get one before they're "gone forever"

#54 of 60 Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Wow! How low for someone to steal a sling!!

I have a Hotsling pool pouch, made of a double layer of solar veil.
It is brilliant! I did not get much use of it with my winter baby obviously, but I expect to use it a lot next summer.
With my 4th baby, I used it all the time and he never got a burn - and it was very airy too. I can see how a ring sling would work better to offer full protection for a big baby, but with a tiny one, a pouch is plenty.
#55 of 60 Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM

I have a solerveil pouch (I guess that's what it is - it's like a hotsling but it's a karmababy). I got one to fit both me and my husband, so it's a bit big on me and a bit small on him. I don't think I could use it with a newborn. I like it, except I'm not sure how effective it is against the sun for how I use it. It pretty much just covers his back and thighs, which are covered anyway. If you are good at using slings with newborns ignore my review. I never could get my ds comfy in my slings when he was little, which is why I love wraps for newborns.

#56 of 60 Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm eyeing wraps, slings, and the Ergo. I'd like to try out several different kinds and see what works for me. I'm also going to be looking at everyone's advice here on Mothering, since I don't know any baby wearing mamas and this is my first. :

- Born 7/21/09
#57 of 60 Old 12-16-2008, 01:01 AM

I am looking into getting a wrap this time. I have decided which one yet though.

I use both a Mei Tai and Ergo with my son and love them both.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#58 of 60 Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 AM

I have an ERGO, 2 Ellaroo Mei Tais, 1 Maya Wrap ring sling, 1 Mama Baby ring sling, and 1 Hotslings pouch sling. I also have a Baby Bjorn I wont be using (so I need to sell that on craigslist lol). I love all of my other slings but I think I want to get a wrap. Last baby, might as well try a wrap. I just worry about the heat. We live in FL and this baby is being born in the height of the heat.
#59 of 60 Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 AM

I'm a few days late on this thread, but anyway.

I tried a couple of different ring slings, but never liked them. I really loved my Kozy Carrier and I'm thinking about getting another one (I gave mine away). I was thinking that I might want to try a Moby Wrap, but I see some of you are saying they're warm (South Louisiana in the summer is beyond warm). The Beco looks nice!
#60 of 60 Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Ugh! I just realized how many I want! I want a Maya Wrap, a more utilitarian Ring Sling, and one of those Mesh water Mei Teis.

I have an Ergo and a new native and a pretend new native. I also have a Mei Tai but that one doesn't get SO much use because it is such a PIA to tie and untie.

I am shopping for an Ergo for my SIL right now. I looked at the Beco's but the seem more 'mother only' than the Ergo and my BiL is going to be doing some serious chilcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page