A little early but...what baby carriers are you coveting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I admit that I'm a baby carrier addict. It didn't start until baby #3 so it wasn't the most economical habit
But carriers were a life saver for me with 2 other kids and they made my life so much easier.....until he was 2 and decided he had to RUN everywhere

Luckily I still have some of my favorites since I give babywearing presentations but I did break down and buy a ruby velvet Eden mei tai just recently. Not great for summer but it'll be awesome for next winter. It is sooooo soft!

I would really like a silk sling again-I had one and sold it but it was truly a super comfy carrier and gorgeous. I won't spend the crazy prices that I see but I'll find one used I hope.

Any carriers/mei tais/slings/pouches you are eyeing already??

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#2 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 PM

I've been wanting a German woven wrap since last year. I frequently joked with DH that we'd have to have more kids just to justify buying one! I tried a friend's with DD and I was so impressed with how well it distributed the weight and how little I felt her 30 lbs on me.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#3 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I had a friend a few years ago that had a major wrap collection-like 20 of them! She spent an absolute fortune on them but she said it was a useful hobby LOL. She had some german wraps that were silk blends that were amazingly soft-I wanted to use them as a blanket.

Alas, I never got the wrap love-the mei tais were always easier for me to manage. Doesn't mean I don't have 2 wraps that I try to love But they don't get much use.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 05:19 PM

I have a Hotsling (don't love it) and an Ergo (LOVE it), and I'm coveting a ring sling. They just seem so easy and comfy, and I like the adjustability.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#5 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM

I have a very nice carrier stash from my last 2 babies, but the two carriers I used the most with my last newborn (last winter) won't be very useful in the summer: a fleece Calin Bleu wrap and a Connecta with sherpa lining.

So I will either buy a summery stretchy wrap or just teach myself to wrap a newborn in one of my Didymos (I don't know why, but I suck at wrapping newborns with wovens...)
#6 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM

we still have a hotsling(good for newborn), ergo (great for later), and a meitei given as a gift. i was thinking about something a little more supportive for early on like a ring sling or ellaroo (is that right?)

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#7 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 PM

right now i have a nice collection of made by me MT's. I also have a ring sling that i made, and a cheap wrap. For the NB days, I am going to get a nice stretchy wrap, i will make some more ring slings, and I am going to get a nice woven wrap

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#8 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone new to baby wearing this site is THE place to go to learn more about carriers and it has a used board:
www.thebabywearer.com

#9 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Moby and that is my FAVORITE for the first few months. But, I do covet a woven wrap for after that. I also want a Beco to replace my Ergo. I already have like eight carriers, so further purchases really can't be justified!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#10 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
For anyone new to baby wearing this site is THE place to go to learn more about carriers and it has a used board:
www.thebabywearer.com
Aaah! Thank you!
I've only had the chance to covet other people's baby-wearing. I love those cozy looking slings... but I had no idea there were so many options! This should help

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#11 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 06:24 PM

I absolutely loved my Maya Wrap - used it for almost 2 years straight! I loved that it was comfy, not too hot (and I live in Las Vegas), and could easily nurse in it. This time around I want to try a Moby Wrap, and am wondering if I should splurge and get a Moby D - thinking that might last past the first few months. I really like having just a piece of fabric to carry - other carriers like the ergo look comfy but what happens when the baby doesn't want to be in it anymore? I don't want to lug anything around that I can't just throw in my purse!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#12 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 07:21 PM

I got an 'ultimate baby wrap' I think it's called; similar to a Moby but it has a ring to fasten the ends instead of tying a knot like the Moby. I loved it til DS was about 9 months I think, and then I started using a ring-sling for hip carry all the time. So small and convenient, but DS was pretty big and I couldn't use it for long trips, just short outings. I would really love to get an Ergo, gotta go check that site out and see if there are any used ones there; I think that would be a great one for the older months. I made a mei tai but it was such a hassle to get on, dug into my shoulders more than my moby-style wrap, and if I tied it over DS' legs he was uncomfortable, and he seemed more slippy if I tied it under. Anyone getting rid of an Ergo ???

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#13 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a moby wrap that I wore when Seth was a tot, but after he became heavier than 20# or so, it was too stretchy. I would love suggestions for a wrap that those who love the moby like with fabric that is woven rather than knit.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#14 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantiani View Post
Aaah! Thank you!
I've only had the chance to covet other people's baby-wearing. I love those cozy looking slings... but I had no idea there were so many options! This should help
Since you're in seattle, you might also want to check out http://backpack-baby.com/default.aspx . Karen offers babywearing workshops every month, and they are great!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#15 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM

I've got a bunch of carriers. A Ten Toes Mutt that was a favorite, a couple of handmade ring slings, a MT, a SSC (but for the life of me I can't remember what one). I've got a beautiful old Martin wrap that I love but wish it was a little longer. . I'll probably try swapping it for a larger woven wrap. Becasue this will be a summer baby I might pick up a Gypsy Mama wrap as well.

I'm going to try to keep myself in line With my first babe I was a diaper addict, with #2 it was carriers. . .hoping to avoid any addictions this time around

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#16 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I am obsessed with my hotsling... DD lived in that thing for like 5 months. And we also have a babyhawk mei tei that I loved when she got a bit older. But I would love to add a moby wrap to the "collection."
#17 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM

I really want either a hotsling or a ring sling and a babyhawk. I had an ultimate baby wrap, and I liked it, but it would always creep up and strangle me at the waist. Plus, it wasn't great after DS was a year old.

love.gif

#18 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 PM

I have been a baby wearer since my nanny days, so for a total of nearly 9 years now. My first, way back when, was a NOJO ring sling, better than anything else I knew of back then but would drive me batty now. I am satisfied with my collection as it stands now...Though there is ALWAYS room for one more
I currently have and love
My Maya Wrap ring sling, very compact, portable, and multi purpose.
A first and second generation Ergo. I only use them for front or back carries as I think the maya feels much more secure for a hip carry.
Last pregnancy I made a few moby style wraps out of fabric I really liked I made them of non stretchy cloth so that I could tie an infant on very snugly.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#19 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM

I just won the organic hotsling on ebay Friday night and am very excited to get it. It will be a little hot for summer, but should be perfect for late sept-oct. I also want a moby style and meitai.

33 Year Old w/ a on the way w/ my DH. EDD 4/6/2011. Mama to Lotus Olivia 7/17/09 and fur mom to 1 and 1
#20 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Has anyone tried a sleepy wrap? I never used baby carriers with my first...we have a Baby Bjorn and my back would kill after 15 minutes and I never really explored the carrier world further. But I'd like one this time around or maybe 2! I've heard positive things about the sleepy wrap.
#21 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Well I have a bunch of meitais already. I think I'd like to try a moby wrap and I need to get a solarveil sling.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#22 of 60 Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I have a ring sling (don't know what brand) that I bought with ds1, and I loved to use it to nurse ds2 while I chased ds1. I have a mama made mei tai I bought off of ebay, but I find the body of it a bit small, so I'm planning to make my own with this pattern:

http://www.sewmamasew.com/ccp0-prodshow/PTMHBC.html

I also have a cotton Hotsling, which I really like. I got it as my splurge with ds2 and it was great for hip carries. He preferred the mei tai when he was a tiny babe, though, he liked to be upright. I have thought of getting a wrap, but I don't know if I would use it that much, now that I am used to a mei tai.

I live in a fairly conservative small town, and when I started wearing ds1, 4 years ago, I was the only baby wearer in town, so I'm now kind of known as the "baby carrier lady" because I have so many. There are three or four other women who wear their babies around town, and a few more I know of that use slings at home, which is fantastic.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#23 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 AM

Right now I still have a Maya wrap and a long stretchy Moby-like wrap that I used with my son. I have to say that with having large breasts, the Maya wrap was not always comfortable. It is hard to get the ring into the little one inch space between my breast tissue and my shoulder.

I sew, so I am thinking of making a few carriers this winter to use with the new LO this summer. I want to make a pouch sling and a mei tei for sure. And once I get on some websites and start looking at patterns I am sure I'll find at least 10 more I want to make!

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#24 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 AM

I want a Beco!!! I had a hotsling and a moby with DD but I never really took to wrapping and the hotsling just doesn't do well with the crazy weight adjustments my body made in the months after I had her. My friend already gave me a ring sling, which I'm excited about. But I am absolutely drooling over Beco's. Of course, I will never be able to afford one, but a girl can dream...right?

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#25 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 AM

Lol, this is MY kind of thread! Do you know that the first thing that came to my mind when I found out I was pregnant this time was, "Oh goodie, I get to use my baby slings again!" I was truly sad that I didn't think I would ever get to use my baby slings again and I had already picked out the slings I was going to put away into my boys' memory boxes with hopes that maybe I would get to use them when I finally have grandkid. I have a lot of carriers, but my all time fav are the mei tai's. I even have one a brand new colibribaby MT that I never got a chance to use. They were VERY hard to get at the time that I got one. I just looked it up and saw that she is no longer making them.
#26 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I have a Moby and that is my FAVORITE for the first few months. But, I do covet a woven wrap for after that. I also want a Beco to replace my Ergo. I already have like eight carriers, so further purchases really can't be justified!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just saw an ad for Becos the other day...they are SOOOO pretty!

I too LOVED my moby. So many times at the grocery store I'd get double-take looks from people, the hey- you've gotta baby in there look.

I had a hotsling, but I didn't care for it too much.

I do have an ergo, and I love it. And I love that my dh loves it- almost too much. We'd argue over whose turn it was to wear him!

I also have a sling/pouch hybrid made locally. I love that one too, it worked great when ds was little and evidently allergic to naps, and it worked great later as a hip carry. It's called the Wise Woman Sling. I like the name!

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#27 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM

With my ds, I loved the Moby wrap for the first 6 months. Then it got hot! After that we started using a ring sling more and the Ergo. I love them all. I also have a Mexican Rebozo, which is really pretty, but not comfortable for long trips.

It's ridiculous for me to even think of buying another, but the ones I'd love to try are a Mei Tei and this silk sling from Gypsy Mama that is green with little dragon flies on it. It's so pretty! We'll see. I think I might deserve another carrier by the end of this pregnancy!

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#28 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM

I think I have enough already, but that might not stop me from getting another one

I have a Hug a Bub stretchy wrap that I really love for the brand new baby stage. Then I have a ring sling from Wise Women Slings, a Hotsling pouch, and a BabyHawk mei tai. I think that's it. I use them all.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#29 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM

I would like to get a beco and I'm really excited about the infant insert. I have a Babyhawk, but the straps are getting so dirty from loadding dd2 out of the car into it. I've used it w/ her since she was about a month old. I had a moby w/dd2, but I didn't like how long it took to wrap and I am large chested so it never felt like she was in a good position. I had a sling w/dd1 and I liked that for the beginning, but once again the large chest got in the way once she got bigger and wanted to face out.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#30 of 60 Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM

I'm another addict. I can't tell you how many carriers I have owned over the past 2 years. I use mei tais almost exclusively with my big 2 year old.

My favorite carriers when she as tiny were a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch and a Moby wrap. Both of those are going to be freaking hot in July in Texas! So I might be using more lightweight carriers at first. I have some of everything, including a solarveil ring sling that I might actually use this time. I am also really looking forward to the possibility of learning to wrap well. And if not, I can always stick with mei tais.

Thebabywearer.com forums are the most addictive place on earth!

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page