Let's talk diapers!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christibale View Post
I will post when I am done with them, but I made every diaper in my diaper stash.

When it is all finished, I'll post links to some photos.
Oooh.. can't wait to see pics!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM

For anyone wondering about the BumGenius 3.0 dipes -- I love them! Got them for Christmas (great gift!) and although DD2 started out in the largest setting, I am totally sold on them. I'm looking forward to trying them out on a littler baby. Before I've had all prefolds/fitteds and covers, but I love AIO's for going out. I guess I'm a convert. I really am thrilled with the one size thing lately.

I will also have 2 in diapers, and my only change is that I need to make some more fitteds, and get a bigger diaper pail (right now it's a 5 gal paint bucket that fills up too quickly) I wash every other day. I'm not going to wash everyday for 2 kids, so I need more dirty diaper storage!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 AM

I prefer fleece soakers over wool because they are cheep and way less care you can just pop them in the washer- getting poop out of my first very expensive piece of wool was so hard and I was afrain it would get ruined too I have some wool prefer it because its a natural fiber but love that I can just throw fleece in the wash

i will be using pf's on the baby and covers mostly BSW, bumkins and imse vimse I need to make some fleece soakers for the baby though but waiting on Gender

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Old 02-20-2009, 01:04 PM

I have always had a problem with fleece because it holds smell really easily and that is hard to get rid of. EW! I am making 2 fleece covers soon, so I will have to see how they will work, but I've also got so much wonderful wool that I am excited to use. Of course, it is cheaper when you are making them yourself.

Wife to Jared; SAHM to dd Daphne (03/07) and VBAC Cyprus (06/09). Farmer, Wool Goddess, Photographer and Seamstress
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM

As a first-timer, I am a little overwhelmed figuring out what I need to CD. The prices of AIOs are way too much for us to buy a lot of, so I was thinking to go the cheaper route with prefolds.

What do I need for a basic diaper stash?

I was thinking:

24-36 prefolds in NB size, same in next size up
covers- wool or PUL- how many in each size? 1/2 dozen?
some AIOs just to have, inserts
cloth wipes, etc.

What am I missing? Thank you experienced mamas

**Also, does anyone have a good diaper pattern? If I ever finish grad school before this LO comes, I would love to make a few**

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I love the Rita's Rump Pocket free pattern (google it, or look on the diaper making page). The instructions are really good. I made mine out of recycled fabrics, so they were super cheap. I also made them fitteds (sewn in absorbant layer) because I didn't want to think about stuffing them. They are one size, which is a big bonus imo.

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM

I just bought first four diaper for my little bean. We are going to do sposies till the baby fits smalls, so I got four small Snap-Ez PUL pockets.
For moms that like AIO Snap-EZ has planty close-outs.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Try making diapers. I had never sewn in my life and now my diapers are much better than even BG in my opinion.

Otherwise, get some really nice wool covers and use prefolds and wool. I used wool and inserts with my dd, and I loved it. This new baby will get some extravagent things diaperwise because I can make them so cheaply.

Wife to Jared; SAHM to dd Daphne (03/07) and VBAC Cyprus (06/09). Farmer, Wool Goddess, Photographer and Seamstress
Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
As a first-timer, I am a little overwhelmed figuring out what I need to CD. The prices of AIOs are way too much for us to buy a lot of, so I was thinking to go the cheaper route with prefolds.

What do I need for a basic diaper stash?

I was thinking:

24-36 prefolds in NB size, same in next size up
covers- wool or PUL- how many in each size? 1/2 dozen?
some AIOs just to have, inserts
cloth wipes, etc.

What am I missing? Thank you experienced mamas

**Also, does anyone have a good diaper pattern? If I ever finish grad school before this LO comes, I would love to make a few**
I wouldn't get newborn/preemie size unless you have a track record of having tiny babies. Most nbs can fit in infant prefolds and those will last until 6+ months on most. I have some kissaluv 0's (got them used here before they ruined the trading post) and a dozen preemie prefolds just in case (you can also use sposies if your baby is too little for the infant prefolds, but you can make them work). My babies are usually too big for them anyways (the nb sized stuff). 24-36 prefolds should easily be enough.

As for covers, it's up to you. I know Wool is natural, and I have some, but I prefer PUL. It's easier to wash and care for. I really like the bummis super whisper wraps. I have some that have been used for 3 kids (my sister and I swap our diaper stash) and still look really good. Plus you can wash and dry them if you want (I wash in the washer, but hang dry personally). Maybe get 3 PUL and a wool to start with and see what you like best. You can always order more after baby is here.

As for AIOs, those are such a personal preference. Some like them for going out, etc. You can do AIOs, or pocket dipes. For these I'd get one of a few types and see what you like and what fits your baby. Then order more after the birth.

Hope that helps.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post

If I could sew, I would do the Very Baby pattern. I think you have to pay some money, but it includes AIO, fitteds, and covers.

I prefer BSWW covers, they are great, i've never had a leak in them. I have wool, but it is so time consuming to handwash. They are cute, and natural, but I rarely use them.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM

:

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I love that this was resurrected!! I am doing prefolds for the newborn phase, I only have 18 orange edge GMD prefolds for the newborn size, but my DD was over 8lbs so I think it will be okay to mostly use infant sized prefolds. I have a bunch of bummis super whisper wraps because I got them for either super cheap or free and then I have various wool covers. I can't WAIT to cloth diaper again!

I have about 8 bumgenius 2.0s that I'll use when he gets a bit bigger and the same amount of goodmamas that I'll also use when we get above the 10lb mark.

But prefolds are my go to this time. With my DD I used fuzzi bunz and HATED them... i didn't find the prefold love until my DD was MUCh older.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! This is like a foreign language for me. I am motivated to get sewing...

I also want to have my stuff together by the time MIL makes her arrival this summer so I don't get too much unwelcome interference.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christibale View Post
I have always had a problem with fleece because it holds smell really easily and that is hard to get rid of. EW! I am making 2 fleece covers soon, so I will have to see how they will work, but I've also got so much wonderful wool that I am excited to use. Of course, it is cheaper when you are making them yourself.
The thing with fleece is that you really need to wash it after it gets damp you cannot reuse it as much as wool before washing I say wash fleece after a few diaper changes but since they are cheep you can buy more

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Old 02-22-2009, 05:12 AM

ooh, Christibale - prefolds with snaps sounds like a great idea. Can't wait to see photos!

Wool is really not a pain to wash - our machine has a wool cycle and I throw in some eco wool wash and that's that. Dd and I have some wool clothes so I just throw them all in together and do a small load. If the covers ever get really dirty I just throw it in a bucket with a squirt of wool wash and some warm water and leave it until I get around to doing a wool wash. Every few washes I re-lanolinize them (every 2 months maybe??). They are the best!

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
ck1

I'm just figuring this stuff out too! It can certainly give you a headache. : I think I got it down now... I'm getting an assortment of prefolds, fitted, pocket, and AIO diapers. I know I'll want to do cloth diapering because I'm not capable of throwing that many disposables in a landfill. I should have enough to get me through a couple months (because I just got NB, x-s, and S sizes). By then I can decide if 1) cloth diapering is working for me, or 2) I want to order more prefolds, pockets, or fitted in larger sizes.

By the way, once I came up with a list of needs I've been searching the web to find deals via Ebay and clearances. So far I've saved $142 off of retail this way; no kidding! Since I have time before the baby comes, there's time to keep looking
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM

By the way, once I came up with a list of needs I've been searching the web to find deals via Ebay and clearances. So far I've saved $142 off of retail this way; no kidding! Since I have time before the baby comes, there's time to keep looking[/QUOTE]

I would watch who and what you buy from ebay. I've heard of people buying $5-$6 fitteds and being upset later when they completely fall apart.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Yes ive heard the same thing off of ebay from a lot of people....

You should try diaperswappers.com its a little overwhelming - but the the best strategy is to go into it knowing you want blueberry covers and just searching for that...

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 AM
ck1

I can understand that. There's a lot of cloth diapers out there and since I'm new I don't know what's going to work. I've gone the route you described and decided on, for example, I need a doz-Kissaluvs and found someone with good feedback selling some NB sizes EUC. I think I'll stick with brands you all have recommended rather than "Marleens Bum Diaps" homemade! Yesterday I found a clearance for x-s AIO Bumgenius for $9.50 free shipping from a store: Naturalbum.com. Very nice people that e-mailed me quickly and sent them out yesterday- wow! I bought a few to try. I'm ordering my prefolds from Green Mountain, because I'm just not sure about buying those on eBay. I checked out diaperswapper, too, but most of what I need goes quickly, but I'm still searching for anyway to save money and there's still plenty of time.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

I also check diaper pin for sales that people list on their CD websites. Sometimes you can find pretty good deals that way too.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM

I need to go through my diapers soon and see what I have and what I need. Actually, I"m sure I don't need anything, but I'm also sure I'll get at least a few new things.

My youngest will be 26 months or so when this baby is born, so I'm sure he'll still be in diapers. I have a friend with 2 in diapers who uses mostly one size pocket diapers (haute pockets) for both kids. I'm thinking I might do that after the first couple months.

I need to catch up on all the recent posts on this thread and come back!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Yay for this thread! With DD, all I had until she was 4 months old was 12 small Fuzzi Bunz. They were pretty big on her to begin with (she was 7 pounds when she was born, and long, so she was pretty skinny) and she actually still fits into them at almost 17 months! But, I have a tiny little thing (still long and skinny).

When she did grow into mediums for a short bit (she got chubbier, but then got taller and thinned out again!) I bought a bunch of premium prefolds, some covers, some medium TFF, and medium FB along with a few other random dipes (BG AIO, BGOS, Kissaluvs). I'm pretty set on the medium stash ~ I'm hoping that I have another small one and that by the time he or she needs medium dipes, DD will be PL'd!

For this bean, I have been given some kissaluv size 0s, so I'm excited about that. Since DD was so small, I'll probably add a few things to the newborn stash ~ NB prefolds and covers, a few more kissaluvs probably ~ and get some infant prefolds since the premium ones are still ginormous on DD

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM

i tried CD'ing with my 2nd and couldn't make it work for me. i'm going to try it again with this one and am only buying the basics. i'll also be doing things a bit differently too. i think i got too excited the first time around and went overboard.

this time, i'm not going to go overboard (i hope) and will only be looking to get:

3 dozen prefolds
fleece liners
hemp doublers
diaper covers

i tried and love the prefolds before so i'm looking to do that again.

shellie - momma to two adorable girls and my cutie boy
Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM

what did work about the first time? perhaps some people here can give you some pointers so you dont run into the same issues.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 PM

um, yeah, I'm a little cd obsessed...

DS is mostly in Hyena cart diapers. We love fitteds and wool around here after having a total fall-out-of-love experience with BGs. I hate microfiber now.

Little womb-baby already has quite a stash: several nb/sm soakers both knit and interlock, about 12 fitteds and 11 contours, and I may get some PFs for backups but DH and I just love the ease (and cuteness) of fitteds. I can't wait to shop for girly longies, and my favorite part of having a summer baby is going coverless! : Yeah, i really love to buy little fluff.

User Tag List