Let's talk diapers!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other cloth addicts out there? We did fuzzibunz with DD when she was a newborn/size small... but now I have definitely found the love for the more simple cloth dipes. SO, I think this time we're going to go with orange edge green mountain PFs for the newborn stage with a combo of wool on top and BSWWs. Then, once the babe gets a bit bigger they'll git into my one sized fitteds (I have about 9 goodmamas) and my 6 BG2.0s and then we'll continue with prefolds as well (I have a dozen red edge unbleached GMD PFs).

I absolutely love wool and PFS/fitteds and am excited to go this route with a newborn vs. the pockets that almost made me give up because of rash issues.

I already have my entire newborn wool stash since I wanted it all to be gender neutral and I bought most of it on FSOT on diaperswappers for cheap when I found deals.

Alright... what are you planning to use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM

I started with fuzzibuns too. But I ended up loving prefolds and BSWW.

I plan on getting a doz preemie PF, a doz or 2 green edge, and small & med BSWW covers. I also like bum genius AIOs for when we go out- to make things easier for everyone. I'll probably get about 6 of those.

We already have a doz red edge, and a little over a doz brown edge.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM

I did mostly FBs with my other two kids and then I have a mish-mash of all kinds of other dipes (that I never got around to re-selling), that I may try out again. I am also embarrassed to say that I have brand new prefolds (still have the wax on them), that I had every intention to use with my 2nd baby and never got around to using. So, I will probably break those out this time. I usually don't start CDing my babies as soon as they come home (usually after it's been a month), b/c I am too overwhelmed, so I don't really have that many nb dipes.
#4 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 PM

I heart pockets and fitteds but never felt the prefold love. Wish I could...it's so much cheaper!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 05:46 PM

prefold and flat lovers here. with wool and pul (mostly bummis). after three kids, i love how they're durable, they come clean, and they don't have elastic to stretch and break.

and we have enough to diaper quadruplets. i might have to buy a cover or two to replace some older ones, as the pul covers tend to have elastic that gets shot every other kid or so.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#6 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM

I just used infant pfs with DD as a newborn, and then i moved into other made-by-mama fitteds and pockets and what not a little wool, fleece, and PUL covers as well. I got in on a pf co-op a while ago, so i have dozens of new pfs in the preemie/nb size, infant size, and regulars. I also dyed 2 dozen infant pfs a year ago during a baby lust phase-lol. Those are still nice and folded waiting for this baby. I also have made a few diapers. I am a wee bit of a fabric addict,lol Some I made during my last pg (m/c) and i made one this time:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/041.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/043.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/044.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/045.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/047.jpg

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#7 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

Both ds1 and 2 were cloth diapered about 90% of the time. I've got a nice stash of medium and large fbs and a handful of other pockets - berryplush and bumgenius, mostly. Since I sold all of my small pockets, I'm thinking that maybe I'll get crazy and try prefolds on this new baby. I've never even seen one on a baby irl, just pictures. I'm a bit worried that it may be too hard or I couldn't put them on right.
#8 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Im using KL0's with the nb - I think they are the best newborn diaper. For my oldest I use covers with inserts/doubler/prefold in them. She is sooo teeny still (17lbs @ 15months) that all the pockets/fitteds are huge on her or are waaay to bulky. This system seems to work the best.

I got 5 KL0s in the mail today and squeed a little...lol

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#9 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM

I feel like I'm venturing into unknown territory. With ds, we used prefolds for a few months, but by 4 months, we only used diapers when outside the house, and by 7 months, we were pretty much diaper free. I have a ton of prefolds, some new, some from ds. I plan on doing diapers at least part time, if not more, since this time around, I'll be taking baby with me to prenatals and I don't think it would come off well with most of my clients if I was running out of the prenatal to constantly offer the potty to my baby.

So, I am interested in the pocket diapers but would prefer that only a natural fabric be on my babe's bottom...not fleece. I need to figure it out still. I do knit, and so will invariably make a few soakers to try out, as well.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#10 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 PM

I like prefolds and covers for the newborn phase, but when they get squirmy, I prefer pockets. Also, pockets for overnight. I was never a fan of fitteds or AIOs. I probably don't need to buy much for this baby, which is awesome.

I like cloth diapering, but unlike with carriers, never got obsessed with buying, selling, trading or trying to get any diapers that are unique or hard to find in any way.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#11 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM

I used FB with both the girls and I had tried prefolds w/ bummis wraps which I didn't like. I got three wool covers that I plan on using with the prefolds for newborn and my friend is letting me borrow her small stash of pockets.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#12 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I already have Kissaluvs 0's and covers and after that plenty of infant and premium prefolds and covers. I also have a handful of BGs. Since I'll have 2 in dipes, using the CDs I already have on both of them is going to save my pocketbook big time!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#13 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use KL0's for the newborn stage too. Nothing holds newborn poo quite like them. With my son I was OBSESSED with cloth diapers. Stalking Hyena cart, knitting longies and shorties, I had like 50 fitted diapers and a large stash of pockets. Then I got over the whole thing and went to all fuzzi bunz. I like only having one kind to pick and deal with. DH actually helps with diaper laundry now that he knows which insert goes with which diapers. I did find that the shape of the baby matters a lot, so I am not going to buy a whole bunch of diapers until I make sure they fit #2 well. DS #1 was in medium FB from 4 months until now at 25 months and PLing. They are kind of trashed with no elastic left, so I will probably buy new ones. We also did EC part time, mostly for poop once he stated solids.
#14 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM

We're planning on cloth diapering this baby (our first). Right now I am looking at green mountain diapers' Newborn to Infant Kit, which you can find here (scroll down a bit):

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/packages.htm

We will probably be getting it as a gift. Does that look like enough stuff for the baby? If we need more later, we can buy, but I would like to be set for at least the first few months.

Alicewyf: doula, wife to DH, and mama to Lillian (7/09) and Daniel (6/12).
#15 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post
We're planning on cloth diapering this baby (our first). Right now I am looking at green mountain diapers' Newborn to Infant Kit, which you can find here (scroll down a bit):

We will probably be getting it as a gift. Does that look like enough stuff for the baby? If we need more later, we can buy, but I would like to be set for at least the first few months.
I'm sure other more experienced cloth diapering moms, but personally, I would want more prefolds than just one dozen. We had 3 dozen prefolds when ds was a newborn, and we still had to do diaper laundry every 2 days. But, then again, I always end up using prefolds for more than just diapers. I use it to soak up the milk that pours out of the other breast when nursing (I'm a big leaker!) and for wiping up spit-ups, etc. They come in handy for so much! But even if you just use them for baby butts, I would say you should at least get an extra dozen. An extra cover or two would be good too, for those explosive poops that sometimes get the covers dirty.

Homebirth midwife
#16 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I'm sure other more experienced cloth diapering moms, but personally, I would want more prefolds than just one dozen. We had 3 dozen prefolds when ds was a newborn, and we still had to do diaper laundry every 2 days. But, then again, I always end up using prefolds for more than just diapers. I use it to soak up the milk that pours out of the other breast when nursing (I'm a big leaker!) and for wiping up spit-ups, etc. They come in handy for so much! But even if you just use them for baby butts, I would say you should at least get an extra dozen. An extra cover or two would be good too, for those explosive poops that sometimes get the covers dirty.
I'm not sure we're looking at the same thing...the newborn to infant kit (like 4 items down I think on the page) has 2 dozen newborn prefolds and 3 dozen (I think) infant ones. Is that enough? I am open to buying more definitely.

Alicewyf: doula, wife to DH, and mama to Lillian (7/09) and Daniel (6/12).
#17 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM

Duh! Well, I'll blame it on the fact that I'm on my phone, so I don't see the whole website on my phone.

Ok, now I see the kit you are talking about. Yes, I think its nice! A great starter kit, and how awesome that someone will buy it for you as a gift.

Homebirth midwife
#18 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think we'll probably use cloth, we're so broke! But, I have so much to learn. Is it sad that the other main reason besides $$ I want to use cloth is so I can knit cute soakers?

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#19 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
AAAAAAAAAAH! I forgot I get to get soft squishy diapers for a little newborn bum! : (And how much easier they are to wash than toddler dipes).

This babe will probably get a stash of side-snapping fitteds (not sure on the brand yet, I like so many!) and hand-knit wool soakers and shorties for covers. We start at size small as I make big babes, and just use pfs for anything before that. I usually buy wool second-hand but might get something new for this little one.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#20 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 AM

Green Mountain prefolds with wool or nylon covers for the first 6 months or so and then pocket diapers I adore BG2.0s and still have some miles on my 1.0s too....But I could use a few more...hummm.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#21 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 AM

Right now I have a stash of BG 3.0's (they were 2.0's but the velcro failed so Cotton Babies replaced them all for me and they only had 3.0's - very happy with Cotton Babies customer service ), 2 kissaluvs contours and 3 prefolds. A friend of mine made beautiful fitteds for her newborn so I am going to ask her to teach me how to make some of those. Then I just need to get some covers. I'm in the process of knitting a pair of wool longies which should be done by the time this new baby starts college. I have a wool sweater that I felted that I also want to turn into a soaker and a pair of longies. Maybe that will be ready for my first grandchild?

I also just got into using cloth wipes instead of disposable. They are so wonderful! I just bought a huge amount of cheapy washcloths and a friend of mine gave me a bunch of thicker cloth wipes she had made. I wet them all and stick them in a wipe warmer and they work so much better for wiping Sam's poopy bum!! I highly recommend cloth wipes to anyone considering cloth diapers (if you aren't already using them - I know I am a bit behind on stuff . Now, I never need to buy wipes again - yay to saving money!!!
#22 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post

Ooh, that's nice! I'm totally keeping this in mind. Might be a good place for a completely uninformed first-time prefold user like me to start.
#23 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM

I use mix of cloth diapers on my 14 mo. old and my favorite are pockets. I started when my DS was 6mo. old so I never did a newborn phase. From what I hear from my frined prefold are best for the first month. However I think I am going to just use sposies till the baby is ready for smalls. Last time I was really half dead, wit my LO havig reflux I have hardly slept, so I am thinking dealing with poopy diapers is something I should probably cross off my list for this one.
I am an addict however and I am checking sales all the time. I am waiting to buy to be little further along though.
#24 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM

I really want to keep the cloth as simple as possible. I have a front loader and I will be going back to work, so I think that stuff that's easy easy easy to keep clean is paramount. The day care will use sposies, so I'm not worried about them. I'm thinking prefolds+snappi+prowrap covers is the way to go. Everything will hold up, and hopefully by the time the baby is squirmy and trying to get away I'll be really good with the snappi & able to get it on quick! And I don't think people worry about buildup and stuff with prefolds as much as with pockets. I love my washing machine but I know front loaders aren't great for cloth diapers.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#25 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
I really want to keep the cloth as simple as possible. I have a front loader and I will be going back to work, so I think that stuff that's easy easy easy to keep clean is paramount. The day care will use sposies, so I'm not worried about them. I'm thinking prefolds+snappi+prowrap covers is the way to go. Everything will hold up, and hopefully by the time the baby is squirmy and trying to get away I'll be really good with the snappi & able to get it on quick! And I don't think people worry about buildup and stuff with prefolds as much as with pockets. I love my washing machine but I know front loaders aren't great for cloth diapers.
When my ds's got squirmy, I would just trifold the dipes in a bummis super whisper wrap and forgo the snappi all together!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#26 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz_415 View Post
I just used infant pfs with DD as a newborn, and then i moved into other made-by-mama fitteds and pockets and what not a little wool, fleece, and PUL covers as well. I got in on a pf co-op a while ago, so i have dozens of new pfs in the preemie/nb size, infant size, and regulars. I also dyed 2 dozen infant pfs a year ago during a baby lust phase-lol. Those are still nice and folded waiting for this baby. I also have made a few diapers. I am a wee bit of a fabric addict,lol Some I made during my last pg (m/c) and i made one this time:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/041.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/043.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/044.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/045.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...iapers/047.jpg

Those are SOOO cute what pattern are you using?
#27 of 85 Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM

I have always used Kushies. They are cheap and easy, but I got really sick of them this time they look gross and old really fast and I hate saying "I use cloth diapers, but don't look at dd's they aren't cute right now." I always saw the look in peoples eye like "See I knew Cloth was gross." So I bought 15 Fuzzi Bunz in assorted neutral colors. I really like them I tried them out on dd and they are so much sleeker and cuter. I've still got some newborn kushies that are still cute because you only use them for a week anyway. I'll use those again this time and then switch to the Fuzzi Bunz. I used newborn cloth with dd and honestly newborn diapers are the easiest to do. They are little and wash really easily.
#28 of 85 Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 AM

So, with my daughter now we are still using disposables. I KNOW! I would really like to start using CD but we having been traveling most of our little ones life. So, I am thinking about starting soon. Traveling has come to an end and I can't imagine traveling when the baby is born. I have no idea where to start? What are some good websites for somebody who is just thinking/or starting out? Is cleaning them hard to do? Thanks!

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
#29 of 85 Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM

We CD'd with DS until he was 18 mo. Then we switched to sposies. We were using the gDiaper covers stuffed with PFs or autotowels. We used FBs at night. It was pretty cheap as far as CDs go. We stopped because DS was about to outgrow the last size of gDipes, plus he had figured out how to take them off.

I'd like to go back to cloth with the new one. I still have all of the inserts, so we would just need new covers (DS trashed his covers - he often only wore a diaper and they got covered in food).

love.gif

#30 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 07:28 PM

it feels like i've been done with cloth diapers for so long! i guess i need to look at my stash and see what i need. new ones are too $$$ fo rus this time so i will break out the old serger and sewing machine and make some more. now to find the time!

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page