Totally off topic... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BUT ARGHHHHHH.....

So we just moved into our new apartment last month. Orignally it was supposed to be myself, my child and a roommate and her child. In the meantime, my fiance and I decided to move in together.

I asked my roommate and she said she was ok with him and his 2 kids moving in (this is a 4 bedroom). I asked the landlord and they said it was fine. They upped our rent 50$ because our hot water is included. I was fine with that. Now, this is an old apartment. Built in 1837. I understand the building is old. I have dealt with the landlords son totally prior to renting and I know him from highschool. his parents (who occupy the first floor and are the real landlords) seem really nice, but you can tell they are tired of dealing with the issues of owning the building at this point. When we moved in there were some repairs that needed to be made, I made a list and they fixed them. I mentioned also that we have two bedroom doors that do not shut and I want the doors flixed. Also my bathtub, doesn't hold water. The drain doesn't block enough.

So in a month between my roommate and I our babies have taken maybe 6, 2 minute baths, COMBINED. I have not been able to shower everyday because I am without hot water. Also my fiance's children moved in here the last week and have only showered 3 times each.

Also my roommate decides she wants to move out because it is just too much for her and her daughter who is very easily over stimulated and we were starting to argue about the bills and how they are being split. So we amicablly decide she will move out.

We are supposed to be getting 2 months rental assistance from a local agency because we are a low income family. We had talked to them and they had talked to our landlord and last week on Monday, they said the checks were sent out. So we paid some other bills and come to find out, my landlord never got the checks. We have to call the agency tomorrow and see what happened. So now we have to come up with the 850 for rent. DF asked if we could give them 425 this week and 425 next week. They agreed, KNOWING the situation.

When my roommate gave her notice, the landlords son called me and asked if we were staying and I said we wanted to, but I am pregnant and I cloth diaper and with all the kids we would really like a washer and dryer. I said we would split the hookups in half for the installation and it would DEF. benefit the landlords in the future. Come to find out, there IS laundry in the basement and it is hooked up for the third floor, who is not using it.

So they agree. When DF goes down to talk to the landlord about the rent, the landlord starts questioning DF about me being pregnant like he doubts it. DF said he seemed extremely annoyed about the whole deal of hooking up the laundry for us, but says he is going to do it. Then he proceeds to tell DF that his water bill went up DOUBLE in one month. He says that after installing the laundry we may have to start paying a portion of the water bill?????? He cannot differentiate WHO is using how much water???? I am not paying HIS water bill. They agreement is 50 extra dollars per month. We didn't even USE that much hot water!!!!

So today we wake up and our toilet won't flush and our sink has no cold water. We call him and he comes up, seemingly annoyed and I again mention the doorknobs (he says) "I KNOW I KNOW" OK THEN FIX THEM!!!

I know he is being understanding about the situation with the rent and we appreciate it, but I am starting to get the feeling he is annoyed with all the kids we have here or something?

I just needed to vent
#2 of 3 Old 01-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Yikes! That really sucks, and I hope things work out for you, soon!

- Born 7/21/09
#3 of 3 Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Oh that does suck, I'm sorry and I hope they can get something figured out soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page