Who is still working out? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow Cuba! That sounds like heaven right now in the middle of dark cold February. Have so much fun!:

I took yesterday off except for one walk , but I did two major hikes on the weekend. I really started to fall into a routine last week, so I am going to keep it up this week too- yoga, pilates, Nia for an hour each day and 2 brisk walks. I started incorporating the exercise ball in my thesis writing too, but it gets uncomfortable.

Has anyone else started to modify yoga poses? It wasn't noticeable at all until I was going into a lunge from down dog- I have to swing my leg wider now because it is uncomfortable on my abdomen. I'm still doing everything else, even laying on my back.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#92 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Oh penstamom, good luck with that thesis. I struggled through mine almost 10 years ago now. And it still haunts my dreams, LOL!

Feeling very fat today even though I have only gained 4 lbs. Having trouble bending at the waist.

I just stopped doing savasana beyond a few minutes, I turn over onto my left side.
I am also not doing boat pose and I don't lift my leg up over my head in down dog variation, I just stay in down dog. Otherwise everything is the same.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#93 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM

So, its still "safe" to do pushups? I got super distracted when trying to do some yestreday at the wierd shape my tummy was making when I was doing them....
Ive continued doing my weights/supersets, and still feel pretty strong, but having a rough time making cardio happen. Whats more important for the actual birth? Strength or cardio ability??

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#94 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 PM

The last few weeks all I have been doing is going to yoga on mondays & walk with my DH on Saturdays; but you guys are inspiring me to get off my duff more often!

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#95 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm doing prenatal yoga twice a week. It's such a chilled-out version that it's mostly just stretching, but at least I feel like I'm doing something.

I do one class a week, and the other is the Shiva Rea Prenatal Yoga DVD. Can anyone recommend other good ones?

I swam with my last pregnancy, but I am bored with it. Also, since I work and have a toddler now, it's hard for me to meet the pool's specific lap swim times.
#96 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM

my trainer told me it was still safe to do them so long as I didnt push myself far enough that I collapsed...I know before, sometimes I would do them until I literally fell to the floor..she said not to do that..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
So, its still "safe" to do pushups? I got super distracted when trying to do some yestreday at the wierd shape my tummy was making when I was doing them....
Ive continued doing my weights/supersets, and still feel pretty strong, but having a rough time making cardio happen. Whats more important for the actual birth? Strength or cardio ability??

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#97 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Yep, my trainer (who has had 5 kids) says it is perfectly safe to do pushups.

Swimming is hard when you have little ones. Just fitting your schedule around the lap times. Sigh. That is why I run even though i don't really like it.

It's cheap (a pair of running shoes) and you can do it any time that works with your schedule.

#98 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
Wow Cuba! That sounds like heaven right now in the middle of dark cold February. Have so much fun!:

I took yesterday off except for one walk , but I did two major hikes on the weekend. I really started to fall into a routine last week, so I am going to keep it up this week too- yoga, pilates, Nia for an hour each day and 2 brisk walks. I started incorporating the exercise ball in my thesis writing too, but it gets uncomfortable.

Has anyone else started to modify yoga poses? It wasn't noticeable at all until I was going into a lunge from down dog- I have to swing my leg wider now because it is uncomfortable on my abdomen. I'm still doing everything else, even laying on my back.
I've already commiserated with you re: thesis write-up. I meant to respond to you when you noted that making students write an 18,000 word thesis in 18 days was cruel..I will confess that it was much to do with my awful procrastination and the PhD applications I was writing. Are you planning on pursuing your PhD? I will say that mine almost made me utterly crazy!!! I completed it in 3 years (the British system is different) and I used (or abused, perhaps) running, at the time, to manage all the stress of it. I was in a horribly competitive programme, too (Cambridge Uni), which made it all the worse.

So good luck! And you have my every sympathy...

as to exercise: I am only doing prenatal yoga right now so not really adapting anything. I was regularly doing nia a few days a week prior to pregnancy and then morning sickness kicked in and I got out of the habit of going. My good friend is the instructor and she keeps telling me I must go back.. which I must!!!

No exercise for me today.. though may do some yoga in a bit. My alarm went off at 4am and not one bit of me was interested in getting up to workout before class. Feel a bit lazy about it now, though

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#99 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm a trainer and yep, it's safe to do pushups still, most things actually... it's all about listening to your body really. You can exercise on your back until 20 weeks, or it gets too uncomfortable. I exercise on my back longer than 20 weeks because it doesn't feel uncomfortable until a bit later (the breathlessness and such).

I'm still exercising after work every afternoon when I dont feel like puking (I have flu/cold... something nasty so I'm taking it semi- easy this week)
#100 of 355 Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 PM

I've exercised every day for the past five days - I think the naseau and exhaustion are finally letting up. I vary between weight classes, yoga, spinning and walking. Helps to keep me from getting bored. On Saturday I did an hour long spin class and it was a little too much for me. My belly was sore the rest of the day. The round ligament pains have started to kick in. I need to dig my old pregnancy belt out of the attic.

Keep up the good work ladies!
#101 of 355 Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM

A quick check-in. An hour of prenatal yoga last night, and today 50mins on the elliptical. Tomorrow I hope to do both elliptical and weights!

Zubee

#102 of 355 Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Just dropping in. Last week I was on vacation in the mountains, so I swam laps four times for an hour each. It is way easier than running, even at altitude. I went cross-country skiing twice, since my husband would have killed me if I attempted downhill skiing.
Now that I'm back I ran/walked 3 miles today. I'm doing a 5K race (but I'm not running the whole time) tomorrow. Sunday I have a dance practice which can be aerobic. Monday I take a beginner ballet class with I use to stretch.
Basically, I am run/walking 3 miles twice a week and dancing 2 hours twice a week.
I'm so happy my husband's new year resolution is to get in shape. Now I have a running partner and it is so much more enjoyable. I don't really like to run, but it is a convenient and cheap way to exercise.
#103 of 355 Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM

I've been noticing lately that I'm not sweating very much at all when i work out. I know I'm working out hard enough to have a decent sweat, but it's not happening. Anyone else noticed this change? I'm drinking plenty of water so I know I'm not dehydrated. Any thoughts?
#104 of 355 Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Only one cardio/weight machine workout this week... and no yoga. DD developed bacterial pneumonia and I have a cold. I can't wait to get this stuff over with!

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#105 of 355 Old 02-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Hey everyone, I am back from Cuba, where I did almost no excercise. There was no gym and the sand was too deep to run on the beach.

So I will run home tonight (about 5 K) and Thursday night. Power yoga Wednesday and trainer on Friday.

We had fallen way down the list but I am sure we can all continue to motivate each other!

#106 of 355 Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 PM

I asked in another thread, but I'm not sure anyone will notice . Has anyone had any round ligament pain when running? Anyone ever use one of those belly band things for jogging. Any recommendations?
#107 of 355 Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM

I have had RLP during short sprints chasing my dogs but I am no runner. Sorry I can't be more help.

I am still keeping up walks every day and hiking on the weekend, but have slacked a little on the rest of my workout routine. I only got 3 days in last week and one so far this week. I plan on doing some yoga when I take a thesis break in another hour or so and then respect my routine for the rest of the week.

My motivation- I started to get minor mid/low back pain when I skipped out on yoga/workouts. Also think I felt sciatica cuz I have been on my butt in front of the computer. I substitute a ball for a chair and it helps, but I gotta keep active and fit!

#108 of 355 Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniellasMommy View Post
Has anyone had any round ligament pain when running?
I think I just started having round ligament pain. My tummy muscles are aching and my tummy seems to have gone from surprisingly flat, to hello, I'm pregnant in just a few days. So, yes, I should be out running right now. But, am I going to? Nope. I don't feel like it. Not only are my tummy muscles sore, but for some reason my quads are sore. How can my quads be sore? I haven't been running this week and they haven't been sore in months since I started running. I think my body is planning tricks on me. So, I'm letting it win for this week and I have a new book to read.
I am feeling a bit better and I'm sure it would be fine to run. I don't think you would feel the pain much more running than sitting around the house. I'm also hungry. : Many excuses for not running today
#109 of 355 Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM

I'm having a lot of RLP this time too! I'm just now 20 weeks and really really starting to feel it.
#110 of 355 Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 PM

I'm starting to get rlp too. I'm 20 weeks. My Dr. today said this was the time for it! I have noticed it more when I walk quickly, and when I'm stretching in general. I have yet to try anything for it...

As for working out: I have been consistently doing weights, the elliptical and a couple of hours of yoga a week. I am feeling rather rotund all of a sudden, though!!! I have gained a total of 7.5 pounds as of today. Not sure what that means in terms of what I can expect to gain the rest of the pregnancy. It's all in my boobs and tummy Have no idea where an additional 20 pounds would go....!!!

Zubee

#111 of 355 Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM

I've been pretty consistent about working out on Tuesdays and Thursdays... I'd have liked to get a third workout in but this is better than nothing!

So my question: If I go to my yoga class today, I will be late to my sister in law's birthday dinner. By about 15-20 minutes, at a restaurant. If I don't work out, I'll make it to the dinner but will only have worked out once this week. I do not have time to replace this workout on some other day. What would you do?

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#112 of 355 Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Yoga will make you feel so much better- I'd go! You could always have been late because of traffic anyway.

I had my first sneeze-pee yesterday. Just a tiny bit, but woah! I have been practicing Kegels for like 6 weeks now everyday, so I don't know what else to do. I did have a very full bladder, but that was still a weird feeling. I will do so many Kegels that I will eventually be able to crack a walnut!

#113 of 355 Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 PM

I wore Mothers In Motion shorts after 20 or so weeks of PG with both my previous pregnancies. They have a lot of support and it helped with the RLP whilst running.

I haven't dug them out yet (18w5d) mostly becasue I am running outside and it is too cold for shorts.

But my run was tough on Tuesday night. I hadn't been for 2 weeks (sick then vacation) and I really noticed the extra 7 lbs, which is all in my BBs and my belly.

Running home tonight too, I hope it is easier.

Did Power Yoga yesterday but had to modify or skip a number of poses.

#114 of 355 Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Ran home last night. Going to hatha yoga and to see my trainer this afternoon.

#115 of 355 Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
ck1

I walk / run 3 miles a couple times a week, play tennis 4-5 times a week on a team, and with my husband, and am about to start prenatal water aerobics! Plus I kayaked a couple times (whitewater, in the early stages, but now it's just mellow runs in one of my bigger boats that doesn't tip so easy). I've been experiencing RLP this week too, and am having to wait until that feels better before I can play tennis again (too much twisting); but I think I'm feeling normal again and can back into my regular schedule
#116 of 355 Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
I had my first sneeze-pee yesterday. Just a tiny bit, but woah!
Me too unfortunately. It's happened like three times. I haven't been Kegeling, because I don't like to, but now I have a lot more motivation.

I did go out running yesterday and I feel so much better. I have a lot more energy after running and all day today. As for the round ligament pain, it hurt during my first lap while I was walking, but as I started to run, I didn't notice it. At night when I layed down my tummy muscles were pretty sore.

I seem to have sprouted a little belly this week. It seems to have appeared out of nowhere. One day while I was at work, I seemed to grow by the hour. Hence the sore muscles. So now at 22wks someone might believe me if I say I'm pregnant. That's only a might. I've gained at least 13 pounds. I don't know where it is. The baby feels like a rock and I'd swear he weighs like one too.
#117 of 355 Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM

That is too funny, my belly is HUGE and I have only gained 8 lbs. I guess that is the diference between a 1st baby and a 3rd. Or so I like to tell myself anyway.
My trainer is impressed with my abs. We are doing plently of non-lying down ab work and she said "nothing wrong with those abs" on Friday.

I am 20 weeks. I didn't get into maternity clothes until 26 weeks with my first and that was only because I was impatient!

But honestly, I am shocked at how big my belly is this time. Nowhere else (well except my BBs). I can still wear my regular jeans asince they are fairly low cut.

So, back to working out. I did hatha yoga and met with my trainer for 50 minutes on Friday and then ran 3 miles yesterday. Nothing on deck for today as DD is sick but I will run home from work tomorrow (about 3 miles).

#118 of 355 Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

I swim 1000m about 3 times a week, walk/run..I am so active - I feel fantastic! It feels wonderful! And I love that everywhere but my belly is getting smaller - and that I have a little bump this time....the only...not good part...according to the scale I have gained 24lbs already by week 23....I dont get it..lol..But I feel fantastic, and Im eating well - so Im not too concerned. Stupid Number!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#119 of 355 Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM

For RLP the stomach band has been a life saver for me. Finally dug mine out of the attic and it has been wonderful. I use it during my spin class - no pain anymore!
I'm still faithfully working out 4-5 times a week. Varied between spin, yoga and a weights class. Only gained about 5 pounds at 21 weeks but definitely starting to look pregnant.
Keep up the good work ladies!
#120 of 355 Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Wow, you ladies amaze me!

I will run tonight. 3 miles. Slowly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page