Who is still working out? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 355 Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies! Still running (more like a cross between waddling and jogging) here but I am super slow and can't do hills.

So funny that I can still "run" 3 miles but stairs about kill me, I am huffing and puffing before I get to the top.

My trainer told me I was super tough in Friday and that she was impressed by how hard I am still working.

It felt pretty good, especially since I will be 42 in less than a month!

Zubee, I was anemic long before I was vegan. I take a really good supplement with some OJ, it seems to be helping.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#182 of 355 Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM

I felt GREAT today during my cardio- like I could have done 3 hours of it! And I was going fast too!! I think what made it better is that I exercised at 4pm instead of 830am. I have a hard time eating a good breakfast... that explains the dizziness!
#183 of 355 Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You are tough veganmama!! And I have such kudos for you running at this late stage!

Well, I am on partial bed rest as I almost fainted lecturing, yesterday. My BP was sort of wacky (big decrease when lying down on side) and odd breathless symptoms. I'm off from work, at least, but, really, all I want to do is to get some exercise and fresh air. I was not made for rest

I've not been able to take an iron supplement thus far because it makes the sickness even worse. But I fear that I will just have to start sucking it up. My SIL, also pregnant and anemic, said she felt better within days of supplementing, so hopefully it's just that. i had great levels early pregnancy (I am usually a spinach fiend and adore citrus)...

We'll see.. Hope to be at least walking soon!
Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#184 of 355 Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Oh Zubee, I hope you feel better soon!

#185 of 355 Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayjean View Post
I felt GREAT today during my cardio- like I could have done 3 hours of it! And I was going fast too!! I think what made it better is that I exercised at 4pm instead of 830am. I have a hard time eating a good breakfast... that explains the dizziness!
Don't you love those days? Good for you.

#186 of 355 Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 PM

"Wogged" 3 miles last night. 45 minutes of yoga nd then 50 minutes with the trainer at the gym today. She said I am going to "bounce right back" after this baby is born. I hope she is right!

#187 of 355 Old 04-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
"Wogged" 3 miles last night. 45 minutes of yoga nd then 50 minutes with the trainer at the gym today. She said I am going to "bounce right back" after this baby is born. I hope she is right!
I would love to have a client like you! I love pregnant clients... especially motivated ones : I am a trainer and actually specialize in pregnancy and exercise, love it!!!
#188 of 355 Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Oh my, veganmama, I laughed out loud when you wrote how you 'woggled'! lol.

My test results were all okay but the Dr who saw me told me not to exercise vigorously until I see my Dr. on Monday. So I've been walking, taking advantage of the nice weather. I walked 6 miles yesterday and tonight, and I felt completely fine. Like you, veganmana, walking up stairs kills me!

Anyone else carrying high? I took a pic of my belly (it's on my blog..!) and I look like I have some sort of shelf beneath by bbs! The bump doesn't seem to begin until my naval! It's bizarre.

We have our hospital baby class tomorrow... I HOPE to be back exercising properly after Monday!

Zubee

#189 of 355 Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM

I am carrying high too Zubee! It makes me look so much bigger this time.

Lindsay, so cool that you are a trainer. I do think my trainer really likes my attitude. She always used to say that I work really hard for her. I'm like "um yeah, I am paying for this, LOL". Now she says that I am "amazing" (which I am not) for continuing to work so hard. Again though, why not?

I discovered the trick for getting up stairs!! I raced my 5 and 6.5 year olds up the stairs at the bus station on the weekend. This is a loooong set of stairs and it kills me every night on my way home. MUCH easier running up them and getting it over with! So I tried it at home and it does work.

That said, I avoid them if possible,

#190 of 355 Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM

veganmama- yeah, you'd be AH-MAZED at how many people pay big bucks to work with me and then whine and complain and won't do anything! It's crazy! I tell them I am no magic pill-- you can't just pay to have a trainer and magically meet your goals, it still takes WORK. I actually just stopped working for a while, but my Bachelor's degree is in Exercise Science, so it's kind of my thing. I used to give lectures on Pregnancy and Exercise

Boy is it interesting being a trainer and being hugely pregnant! I worked up until my due date last time and some exercises are very hard to demonstrate when you're huge LOL. Good thing I am good at explaining things and being creative!

Today is my day off... tomorrow is yoga. My legs are still sore from all the squats I did on SATURDAY. Feels so good
#191 of 355 Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM

On Friday, I ran/walked 2.25 miles. The running part is getting less each time I go. I swear it feels like the baby is a big rock in my belly. On Sunday I had a dance practice and one of the songs has a jumping twisting motion. I think I've chosen not to do it because, even despite having just used the bathroom beforehand, the twist/jump motion makes me feel like I have to pee. Kind of distracting when I need to focus on the dance. That performance is in a month so if I feel uncomfortable now, I can't imagine it then. Ballet is easier which I'm doing tonight because the song we are performing next month is slow.

Speaking of slow. I feel slow. I'm feeling tired. My muscles feel weak. Zubeldia- what foods do you find help you feel better? Anything? A couple Sundays ago right before a dance performance, I felt my muscles tingling and I felt ill. I thought it was strange since I had just eaten. I thought, maybe I was thirsty, so I got up to get some water. While I was filling up my bottle, the room seemed to get darker and I knew I could not stand. I sat down instead of fainting/blacking out. But, I felt too weak to get back up. Luckily this was at church and people walked by and asked if I needed help. I get that feeling off and on sometimes still now. I'm thinking it may be my iron too. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where I'll ask about it. I know it was low at one visit and they repeated the test, but they did not call me saying the results were bad, so I thought I was ok, but I've been really wiped out the past couple weeks. What do you guys think?
#192 of 355 Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 PM

I did my cardio (elliptical) workout today and I'm still able to get close to my non-pregnant speed on it. I definitely feel tired though, especially because I'm not sleeping well these days. I spend a good deal of the night tossing and turning, trying to get comfortable.

I also did the weight machines and I've managed to maintain my previous weight levels. I've stopped doing the rows machine, partially because I'm so tired at the end of the workout and partially because of the big belly.

I'm still sticking with intermediate yoga... although there are a lot of poses I just can't do anymore! My teacher advised against one-armed wheel, plow, twists, lying on my back (too uncomfortable anyway), etc. But I'm doing well with the warrior poses and decently with sun salutations.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#193 of 355 Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious&eager View Post

Speaking of slow. I feel slow. I'm feeling tired. My muscles feel weak. Zubeldia- what foods do you find help you feel better? Anything? A couple Sundays ago right before a dance performance, I felt my muscles tingling and I felt ill. I thought it was strange since I had just eaten. I thought, maybe I was thirsty, so I got up to get some water. While I was filling up my bottle, the room seemed to get darker and I knew I could not stand. I sat down instead of fainting/blacking out. But, I felt too weak to get back up. Luckily this was at church and people walked by and asked if I needed help. I get that feeling off and on sometimes still now. I'm thinking it may be my iron too. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where I'll ask about it. I know it was low at one visit and they repeated the test, but they did not call me saying the results were bad, so I thought I was ok, but I've been really wiped out the past couple weeks. What do you guys think?
Hi there!

This sounds a lot like what I've been experiencing, I was really surprised that my iron levels were good and no sign of anemia. I'm still suffering with hypermesis and so when I saw my Dr today, and hadn't gained weight in two weeks, she though that this weakness might well be lack of calories. Even when I eat I often feel this lightheadedness, but she said that it's the overall energy imbalance which might be leading to these symptoms. I have horrible food aversions and so it's hard to pinpoint foods that make me feel better... I have to say that I cannot wait to enjoy food... even when I'm hungry I don't have much of an appetite..

Do you think this might be an issue for you, too? I'm guessing the little ones are going through massive growth spurts right now, which means they take from us!!

I did, though, get the go ahead to return to exercise. I just need to make much of an effort to eat enough.

Veganmama, aha, funny about running up those stairs!! And I'm sure I look a lot bigger carrying as high as I am!!

I walked over the weekend, but that was it. I'm hoping to get to the gym tomorrow! I'll be sure to take it easy....

Zubee

#194 of 355 Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Hey everyone! I had a day off from exercise yesterday. But worked 11 hours so I am pretty tired today.

Will run (in the rain it looks like!) my 3 miles tonight and then I have power yoga at lunch tomorrow. Plank is getting really hard, my belly is just sooooooo heavy. I also do not lie on my back.

Lindsay, I have to laugh about people paying you big bucks and then not working. That's crazy!

I cannot believe that some of you are not slower than usual. Wow. I am vastly slower.

#195 of 355 Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 PM

I am definitely slower! When I hike uphill I go so slow and kind of spread my hips. I have been feeling good though- I even did a lot of gardening yesterday including digging and turning soil with no problem. I think the warm weather is a miracle for energy.

I'm still keeping up the same level of exercise, but I really notice a difference with yoga/pilates type stuff. Yes, plank is harder- my wrists are starting to hurt! They are now holding up 17lbs more and its all hanging from my tummy. Even some lunge variations feel different and I have a hard time with any kind of backbend now as it over stretches my upper torso.

I finally start swimming next week!

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#196 of 355 Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Do you think this might be an issue for you, too? I'm guessing the little ones are going through massive growth spurts right now, which means they take from us!!
Zubee
I saw the doctor this morning and she felt it was probably low blood sugar related. She suggested that I eat a snack right before going to bed and then eat again first thing when I wake up. Then she suggested, since I'm still skinny, that I basically need to eat more than I am. For me, I've always eaten a lot of food. It's hard for me to eat any more than a lot. I usually don't eat much junk, so to make up for exercising and burning calories, I've been eating ice cream. I guess even all those calories are not enough.

They did tell me to take iron pills to. My iron was low but ok at one visit, so last visit they retested it and now it's even lower. So, more pills and more food they said.

Between the two, I hope to be feeling better quick. I walk at least two miles each day at my job, and I've been too tired to do it the past couple weeks.
#197 of 355 Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Wow, I wish I had your metabolism!

I am sure it is a pain when you are PG since you have to eat even MORE than you usually do but when not PG, it sounds like heaven to me, LOL!

I take Hemagenics by Metagenics and drink Red Raspberry Leaf tea and my iron is back to normal after being REALLY low after my 2nd m/c.

Me: Power Yoga yesterday. So glad there is another PG woman in there with me since we ahve to modify a bunch of the poses.

Was supposed to run tonight but I just booked a massage for this afternoon so I have decided I will be too relaxed and will run tomorrow night instead.

#198 of 355 Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I am getting a massage today too! A free one at a school, but a massage is a massage to me! So I decided to take the day off of working out. Tomorrow is my golden birthday! Hopefully DH and I will go to the gym in the morning (I love that the Y has free drop off childcare!!!), and our 2 year old is staying overnight at my mom's house (first time EVER being overnight someplace- big milestone!).

I skipped my yoga class on Tuesday, and went to the gym instead. My sciatic nerve on the right side is really bothering me- especially after a hard cardio session, so i think I need to modify, maybe try biking. Biking is just so easy for me- it's hard to really get my heart rate up.

curiousandeager- I'm the same way. I have a freakishly high metabolism and it's really easy for me to get super dizzy because I can't possibly eat as much as I should. I find that if I have some sort of snack frequently it helps me too! I try to go for the calorie dense stuff.
#199 of 355 Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Another massage here, too!! I found a massage therapist who is also a physical therapist who specializes in prenatal and postpartum health... it means that my insurance picks up the tab (save the co-pay). I've been having them almost weekly

I was back to some formal exercise this week.

Mon off
Tues: 5 miles elliptical (SLOW!) plus weights
Wed: 4.5 miles elliptical (tired and slow)
Thurs: 6 miles elliptical. Oddly I felt so tired when I got to the gym that I felt sure I'd do a couple miles of warm up and then do some light weights. But I felt great! Didn't do weights because of time, though...
Fri: sore throat so took the day off.. though about to head out for a long walk. Probably 6 miles. Weather has been awful here but the sun is out now and will be for the weekend. I'm planning on maybe playing tennis tomorrow!

Oh, my metabolism is like treacle. I'm sure that I have the most efficient body out of anyone I know. I am also convinced that it's a result of long distance running when I was a bit younger and not injured.

Any plans for the weekend, anyone?

zubee

#200 of 355 Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 PM

Loving the iron pills!!!!

So from the time they retested my blood for iron, till my following visit, I felt worse each day for those three weeks. Wednesday was so hard being on my feet all day at work. I figured Thursday would be easier since most of my job involves paperwork, but I was dead exhausted and for the first time in my pregnancy, I left work early. I felt like I had no strength left.

That same day, I bought and took the iron pills that the doctor said I needed to take because of my levels. I was surprised that from barely having strength to walk that day, in the evening I noticed I was feeling better after just one pill. And today, wow, I almost feel like me again. I actually cried on Wednesday night knowing that the third trimester would be more tiring than the second, but I was not prepared for a total lack of strength. Now today, after just two little pills and praying I feel so much better and I'm thrilled. My bike is calling me .
#201 of 355 Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 AM

I really envy all of you tough mamas!

I had to stop running a month or two ago because the bladder and sciatic pain was too much for me to take. I have been a pretty serious runner most of my adult life and it is just killing me to see the beautiful weather and not be able to go out there and pound the pavement. And now with the house under renovations and a huge volunteer project I am working on, I am simply not making the time to exercise like I should. Sigh...:

And the fat accumulating on my body is a huge reminder that I need to be more active!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#202 of 355 Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM

I do Yoga and Pilates, and go for walks. However, I have been getting round ligament pain (even when I walk slowly) because my belly is getting heavier. Still, I'm determined to keep going strong. Aside from the little stitch I get when I walk, I've been feeling good.
#203 of 355 Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM

HIya fit mamas!

I've come down with a cold, which is pretty miserable. I NEVER get colds - so I am really moaning about this I did get a good workout in on Saturday. I felt pretty good and did 6 miles on the elliptical and then weights.. followed by a planned 3 mile walk with a friend.. and then a 2 miles doggy walk in the evening! So lots of activity. Yesterday was a 6 mile walk and a prenatal yoga DVD. I am so much slower, but it feels really good to move. Today, though, this cold has me sitting on the couch (other than a 2 mile doggy walk).

I may take tomorrow off if this cold isn't any better. It's going to be really hot, too... close to 90 degrees in Maine!! Crazy.

I did notice yesterday, though, that this belly is really getting in the way when I do some yoga. I hadn't practiced for at least 10 days but, wow, what a difference those 10 days have made!

Zubee

#204 of 355 Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Hadn't posted in a while but am still faithfully working out 5 days a week. Yoga is definitely getting much harder - took a 2 week break from it during Spring break and when I went back it was so much more difficult with this big belly. Glad to get back into it and seems a little less awkward now.
My body pump class last night was led by my new favorite teacher - she's 8 months pregnant, still teaching, doing a heck of a workout. It's great when she teaches because I really push myself to work hard because she's even further along than I am. Also had another preggo mom in the class with a big belly. Nice to see so many staying fit during pregnancy!
Thanks ladies for all the continued encouragement!
#205 of 355 Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Feel better Zubee!

Tracymom, I had bad sciatica with my first. I think she was sitting right on the nerve! Anyway, I had to stop running at 7.5 months. I switched to swimming then, after about 5 weeks she moved and I was fine at the end.

When I run I wear some support shorts I got when PG with my DD, 7 years ago. From Mothers in Motion. They help a lot with the round ligament pain etc. I do get some BHs when I run now but I just slow down (even more!)

I definitely am noticing my belly getting in the way with yoga. Plank is next to impossible now since my belly is so heavy. Too hard on the wrists.

Still going to yoga twice a week, running 3 miles three times a week and seeing a trainer once a week.

I feel fat but I know objectively I am not. But the third baby definitely shows a lot more than the first!

#206 of 355 Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM

I did yoga last thurs. and it was much harder than before. I sometimes get round ligament pain when walking or jogging. The Bradley classes teach an exercise called "pelvic rock" which you can google for directions.. doing them regularly has helped a LOT with the round ligament pain and general abdominal discomfort. I haven't had reflux/indigestion, but I've heard it even helps with that. I have even gotten out of bed at night because something felt uncomfortable and done a bunch of them for relief. May not work for everyone, but totally worth a shot! (It may take a few days to feel the effects.)

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#207 of 355 Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Ive hit 31 weeks...baby is engaged lovely in my pelvis..and ouch! those pelvic bones hurt all the time now, makes doing anything (even sitting cross legged) painful. Still walking and swimming though - so I guess thats something.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#208 of 355 Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM

I had to skip yoga on Tuesday (cry!) because I was throwing up everything I was eating until like dinner time. Yuck. I did manage to go to the gym instead and do about 40 minutes of cardio and some strength training. So better than nothing. That yoga class kicks my bootie though- so I was sad I missed it!!

I'm so proud of myself for how much I am working out (almost every day!) in the 3rd trimester. I do not have very easy pregnancies. I am super fit when I am not pregnant... but pregnancy makes me violently ill and then super dizzy and nauseous the rest of it.... so it was really a struggle last time. I had to stop teaching my fitness classes (spinning and the like) about this point last time. I envy that woman who can teach Pump up until she delivers. But I know I need to listen to my body since we are all different.

Luckily last time I had no problem returning to my prior fitness level after having the baby and I plan to start training for a marathon after this one is born. Yay. But yeah... I'm just proud of myself for exercising every day when I feel this crummy.

I also know exercise contributed to my short easy(ish) labor for my 1st and will do the same again!
#209 of 355 Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM

Linsday Jean, I am finding yoga tough now too. I am leaving for class in a few minutes.

I wish being in shape helped me with labour though. 47.5 hours with DD and 18 (but 2.5 hours od it was pushing) with DS.

Missed running last night because DH is away and also the kids had soccer. Working 9 am to 11 pm today (got roped in to some volunteer thing at work before I realized DH would be away) so can't run tonight either.

Will try tomorrow night with DS in the jogger and DD on her bike.

DH back friday night.

#210 of 355 Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM

HIya mamas,

I have been wiped out with this cold. It's now in my chest and exercise is out. Even a walk this evening with the dogs was miserable.

I'm hoping it passes soon...

I can't wait to get back in shape post pregnancy. I row, usually, and currently I'd be too heavy for my flyweight boat. Hope to make weight before the end of the season!

Lindseyjean Two trainers at my gym are pregnant (one just had her baby, actually). The other is 37 weeks and still running (she's a marathon runner). I wish my foot would let me run.. I envy all you women who are runners.

Veganmama, very impressed with your exercise... though a bit dismayed to hear that your labors have been so long!! Also, I'm doing hypnobabies too! How are you finding it?

Zubee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page