homebirthers tribe - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynn View Post
My body hurts (mostly thighs and hiney) from the landscaping that we did this weekend but I asked dh this morning if we could try to finish it tonight so that we would be done with it. I keep wondering if I am being wise or foolish. Everyone keeps telling me that they think that I will go on or before my due date this time and to be honest it is starting to get to me and is freaking me out a little bit. I am only 34w1d. My goal is to have "everything" outside done by 36w and to have the rest of my to do list (mostly inside stuff and shopping) done by 38w. I have never gone into labor on my own (42w). So in my mind, I have about 4 weeks to get ready and 8-10 weeks until baby but everyone else is expecting a baby in 4-6 weeks. Eeks!! I think that I am allowing it to feak me out a little more b/c I am experiencing pressure a little sooner this time (maybe baby is deciding to go head down a little earlier?) and dd1 did not turn until 37w and dd2 was footling the whole time so the pressure was a few weeks later.
Don't let everyone freak you out. I think that the whole dd thing can end up being such a mental hurdle. Like you really need everyone you know calling you at 38w when you could have 3-4 more weeks.
I'm 33w and I'm sort of on the same schedule as you. I only just yesterday got my diapers out of storage, but I don't plan to start getting stuff ready closer to 36 or 37 weeks.

This pg when people have asked me when I'm due, I just say sometime in July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM

does anyone know what kind of foods they will have available for labor - both for yourself & midwife/dad/others at birth?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Every time people begin telling me by 34 weeks that they are sure I will go soon.
Sure, I look huge, my belly is super low and I am miserable barely being able to walk... but that means nothing! I always go at least at 41 weeks.
The worst part is all the phone calls for over 6 weeks!
I try not to let myself get excited with the whole world telling me I will have the baby soon, but I always do, and then the last 4 weeks feel lime an eternity!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM

I know that the whole 40w edd is really not evidence based and I should not let it get to me. After thinking about it, I think that it might be that what is driving me crazy is that people just think that this baby will come "on time" b/c by the 3rd baby, I am "due" an "on time" baby - like that has anything to do with anything. By that logic, I would also be "due" an early baby and a lot of other things. I have been telling people that my edd is 7/12 but I would probably be more likely 7/26'ish or so. I guess that I should really just say 7/26.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Every time people begin telling me by 34 weeks that they are sure I will go soon.
Sure, I look huge, my belly is super low and I am miserable barely being able to walk... but that means nothing! I always go at least at 41 weeks.
The worst part is all the phone calls for over 6 weeks!
I try not to let myself get excited with the whole world telling me I will have the baby soon, but I always do, and then the last 4 weeks feel lime an eternity!
I read a suggestion somewhere that if you are tired of the "did you have the baby yet?" calls that sometimes its helpful to change the message on your voicemail to say "Still pregnant... leave a message after the beep!" I thought that was cute.

Sending you some come a tiny bit early, baby vibes! :

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
I read a suggestion somewhere that if you are tired of the "did you have the baby yet?" calls that sometimes its helpful to change the message on your voicemail to say "Still pregnant... leave a message after the beep!" I thought that was cute.

Sending you some come a tiny bit early, baby vibes! :
I am definitely going to do this if people start calling me, but I have more of a problem with people in person stating the obvious .... this really is not rocket science you know - "do you see a baby?", "do I still look like a beach ball?" - like I am going to hide the fact that the baby was born.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 AM

Man, I feel like the late bloomer of the bunch (I'm 31wks5d). I at least have finally decided on a birth tub but need to order it (Birth Tub in a Box). I have so many birth supplies around the house that there isn't too much I need to piece together. Still need to go to the House of Hose and have them put one together for me. Other than that I think we are set. I just hope the tub fits in my room or I will have to birth in my office (not the worst place as it is covered in preggo artwork, but its not my home sanctuary).
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynn View Post
I have been telling people that my edd is 7/12 but I would probably be more likely 7/26'ish or so. I guess that I should really just say 7/26.
That is exactly why I tell everyone not to expect baby until the middle of August. I'm due 7/30, but was induced (and not very ripe) at 2 weeks with my first son and had number two naturally 17 days after my due date. On top of that I have a long family history of everyone brewing babies long (without the long cycles that usually accompanies that, weird!) Part of me actually worries about the shock that going any earlier would cause me! No one in my family is expecting a baby for quite a while.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I sort of feel like I may go past my due date as well... and there is a girl at my church due 11 days after me that I just *know* is going to have her baby first lol. I am TRYING to just assume I'll be late so I can be pleasantly surprised if I'm not.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm actually worried about going too early to have a hb. I'm 34 weeks today. I've been losing bits of my mucous plug for a couple of days now and have been having lots of braxton hicks, though not frequently enough to really worry about.

With my first two, I lost a huge hunk of my plug and was in labor within 24 hours. So even seeing the small bits is freaking me out. Hopefully it just means I'm dialating a bit and will have a quick labor when it happens.

Of course, now that I shared this, I'll go to 43 weeks and have an August baby!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonygoony View Post
I at least have finally decided on a birth tub but need to order it (Birth Tub in a Box).
My MW just told me to check out the main home birth thread on mothering. there's a sticky in there about getting a tub. The sticky says not to do the tub in a box because it's more expensive than it needs to be. She gives really specific advice for what to get instead and says that buying everything you need should be between 60 and 100 dollars. I haven't looked yet, but in case she's right, I wanted to let you know.

I was supposed to borrow my mw's tub, but one of her clients just stole it(!), so now I have to buy my own. Bummer dude.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-pigeon View Post
does anyone know what kind of foods they will have available for labor - both for yourself & midwife/dad/others at birth?
I want to bring this question back up. It doesn't look like anyone answered it, and it's something I've been wondering about.
For during labor (for me and others), i've been thinking Popsicles, fruit, bagels and cc.
For after, I'm not sure. I've thought about a really nice baguette with brae, a sandwich from my favorite sub place, a really nice fruit salad...

I'm really not sure what's good to provide for others during my labor. Any thoughts anyone?

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonn's_mama View Post
I want to bring this question back up. It doesn't look like anyone answered it, and it's something I've been wondering about.
For during labor (for me and others), i've been thinking Popsicles, fruit, bagels and cc.
For after, I'm not sure. I've thought about a really nice baguette with brae, a sandwich from my favorite sub place, a really nice fruit salad...

I'm really not sure what's good to provide for others during my labor. Any thoughts anyone?
This is a good question. I am thinking that I will make some rice with basic steamed veggies for me and the labor support. Easy to prepare and we do a CSA so we always have veggies laying around. Popsicles sound good, too. Maybe ice cubes made from fruit juice to suck on or add to water (I have an ice thing). I am hoping that when labor starts I am able to whip up a "birthday" cake to celebrate with after the birth.

I really like the idea of a soft cheese and fresh bread, too.

My sis in law is coming down from Wisconsin to be a labor attendant. Should I get her a little something to say thank you?

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:

We're having steak after the birth! I'm rebelling against the dry piece of white bread and peanut butter I had after my dd was born at the hospital. Who knows if I'll actually be up for eating steak, but it sure sounds good now! I'll have someone run up to the market when I'm in labor (if it's daytime, obviously), and after baby gets here my dh will fire up the grill.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM

DH has made sure to make very hearty meals for me for after the birth.
I don't eat immeditely after, but after I rest I am starved.
He makes the biggest, juiciest stake he can find loaded with potatoes.
Fresh juice and rich dessert following it.
The stake is made rare, and DH tells me he can literally see color rushing to my cheeks as I eat. Nothing better to get my energy back.
Then I am spoiled with comfort food brought to my bed for a few days.
It makes me sick to remember the kind of junk weak food they give me at the hospital - blargh!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:

During labor I'm never able to eat anything, I get very nauseous. I don't even want to drink Recharge. But looking at the label on coconut water today I was thinking that it might be better than Recharge. I'm planning on getting some.
For everyone else, we usually have a pretty stocked house, I may just make a lasagna or put something in the crock pot.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
My MW just told me to check out the main home birth thread on mothering. there's a sticky in there about getting a tub. The sticky says not to do the tub in a box because it's more expensive than it needs to be. She gives really specific advice for what to get instead and says that buying everything you need should be between 60 and 100 dollars. I haven't looked yet, but in case she's right, I wanted to let you know.
I'm actually able to totally rationalize price of the birth pool in a box. This is my 4th waterbirth-so I feel like I have birth pool experience of what works for me and what doesn't; I need the depth, the handles on the sides, and I want the little seat and inflatable floor. Also not having the off-gassing of the plastic is important to me.
I know many mamas are totally in favor of fishy pools, but I know they just wouldn't do it for me, and I would end up cranky.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:53 AM

For food for others, last time I cooked up a bunch of stuff and froze it. I also had lots of staples on hand. I made a list of snack/meal ideas and locations of all the components (example: burritos - tortillas in fridge, cheese in fridge, refried beans in pantry). The only thing I didn't plan on was being in active labor in the morning. I didn't have too much easy breakfast type stuff on hand. My sister did a starbucks/breakfast sandwhich run for the midwives and everyone else here.

For me I had yogurt, popsicles, stuff to make smoothies, etc on hand. I ended up not eating (I should have though). I also had tons of recharge, which is all that I did take orally.

After my birth my sister went and got pizza because that's what I wanted. She promised to go out and get whatever I want this time too!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM

As far as food for people here during labor, I plan on having a list of what I have on hand and where it is. We always have stuff for sandwiches (BBQ, egg salad, etc.), prep. raw veggies & fruit, yogurt, bagels, wraps, crackers, cheese, popcorn, peanuts, rice & Korean side dishes.

I personally want seaweed soup after labor & birth. Either dh will make some or send someone out to the Korean restaurant near our house.

On the birth tub, I second spending the extra money for the birth tub because I am a little larger and I do not want to worry about the tub not being big enough or sturdy enough. My MW rents out the AquaDoula and the Birth Tub in a Box and I plan on getting one of those.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Good to know about the birth tubs. This is my first birthing tub experience, so I don't really know what I'm going want. I'll have to at least look at the tub in a box so I know what I'm deciding against.
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Good to know about the birth tubs. This is my first birthing tub experience, so I don't really know what I'm going want. I'll have to at least look at the tub in a box so I know what I'm deciding against.
Thanks for the feedback!
I found the la bassine to be "in between" on price when it came to BPIAB or the fishy pool. It was deeper then I needed (we actually had to bail some water out when I got in) and has handles if I remember right (I never felt like I needed them). The only thing it doesn't have is a seat, but when baby was right down low the last thing I wanted to do was sit down. I just kneeled and hung over the side for the most part.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't eat/drink anything during my last labor because threw it all up. But I still want to make sure I have stuff on hand for me this time, just in case. I'm also going to try coconut water (mmmm.... love the stuff anyway) in addition to some RRL tea. I'll make a big pitcher of iced tea for the midwives probably and make sure to have lots of snacks on hand. Lots of fresh fruit and some sort of meal-ish thing.

Afterwards I *really* want a rare steak. So I told DH that one of his jobs is to make me a steak after I give birth. Maybe I'll have a baked potato and some sort of veggie too. Sounds PERFECT to me.

I need to plan what I want to have on hand- I'm a list maker and I need to start my lists!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM

I got my birth supplies in the mail this weekend! Now I just have to organize everything (separate birth from postpartum), gather some odds and ends from around the house, and do a quick shopping trip for the last few things (mattress protector/shower curtain, etc) and I'll be ready. My midwives are coming for our home visit on Thursday. I'll be cleared for a homebirth (36 weeks) on Wednesday!

Last night was the first night in almost a week that I wasn't woken up with contractions for a few hours during the night, but I was up half the night with nausea and feeling feverish (even though I don't have a fever - weird). It's hard not to get excited since I didn't have any contractions prior to having my dd. But this time I have them all the time and I start to think it might happen sooner than later. Who knows?!?

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM

I've never had the opportunity to eat or drink anything during labor since my other two were born in a hospital so I'm taking notes. I will definately have a watermelon in the fridge to cut up and pass around. I've only birthed when it was cooler out and none of the comfort food I usually have on hand afterwards sounds good now. Who wants to heat up the oven when it is 80 out? I had my blessing on sunday and people signed up to bring food and to take the girls off of my hands starting two weeks out from the birth and my mom was going to be bringing by food before that. I had my home visit with the mw today and I am getting so excited to be birthing at home this time!

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM

I just had my home visit with my mw. She said from now on, if I go into labor she'll deliver at home (I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow). I'm so excited! It's finally here! I'm going to have a baby (God willing) sometime in the next 6 weeks and he's going to be born at home! Yay!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

woohoo!! My homevisit is TOMORROW. It is absolutely surreal that I'm this far along in my pregnancy.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM

My home visit is tomorrow too!

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).

User Tag List