Food Preferences - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there finding that they want one particular food or food group above all others? With my first I didn't have anything like this. It's not a craving exactly, I just want fruit all the time. If I thought it was healthy to only eat fruit for every meal, I might actually do it. Mangos, peaches, strawberries, bananas, apples, they all sound so good!

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#2 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm very much into fresh fruits, but some times I eat it to keep from eating something else... like chocolate. lol

I've been craving anything really spicy though. The spicier the better!
#3 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM

I don't have any lasting cravings with this pregnancy, just weekly phases. I was really into cottage cheese and pineapple last week. The week before that I couldn't get enough cooked sushi, and currently it's lentils (I am eating them right now actually .

With DD I literally drank gallons of cranberry juice. This time around the thought of cranberry juice makes me feel icky!

Loving my DH and my two active little girls (9/06), (6/09). Anticipating a new bundle of joy (7/11).
#4 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Umm... I am living off of Stouffers meat lasagna right now I eat other things as well, but this makes up he bulk of my diet right now. Nothing else seems to cut it, or help with the nausea

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#5 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Cheese. And cheese-related foods. Definitely fresh fruits too, and a LOT of fresh juice!! :

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#6 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM

I still want my watermelon from 2 months ago. I bought some from the store, but it was not nearly as good as when it is in season. This time around it has been fruit for me too. Last pregnancy it was turtle sundaes and the one before that was cherry coke.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#7 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Citrus fruit! I've gone through some obsessions with oranges and grapefruit. I drank 4L of grapefruit juice in less than a day a couple of weeks back. So so very yummy!

I'm very curious to see if the old wive's tale of fruit cravings indicating a baby girl hold true again this time.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#8 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

It's kind of the old wive's tale that has me asking this question. With my ds I didn't have anything like this, so I'm wondering if that means this is a girl. We'll see!

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#9 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 PM

Cheese...plain cheeses, pasta with lots of gooey cheese, cheese quesadillas, cheese enchiladas, cheese pizza, cheesy potatoes, etc. Mozzarella sticks sound really good right now, but they are soooo unhealthy.

I also like fruit, but it has to be the right fruit at the right time. I was craving grapes this morning, but DH had eaten them all. : With DD, I craved apples big time. I ate at least 2 apples a day.

What I'm really NOT craving is anything sweet. I could easily live without sweets when I'm pregnant.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#10 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM

I'm not really craving much of anything. I just want to drink something sweet or suck on hard candy. Everything else makes me feel nauseous. Everytime I eat citrus fruit, I end up feeling bad and throwing up. With my prior two pregnancies I had nausea too, but I wanted salty foods. This is my first pregnancy where I don't really want anything salty, but want something sweet.
#11 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM

fruits and veggies make me soooooooo happy :
#12 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 PM

With my last pregnancy, I was going through a large fruit platter single handed in a week or less. (That was a boy)

With this one, I want salads all the time. And I DON'T want any kind of poultry - Thanksgiving was hard for me!!

I tend to think that cravings have less to do with the sex of the baby and more to do with what your body needs at the time....but who knows, really?
#13 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Last pregnancy was fruit. I would sit down and eat a large watermelon with a spoon. This time I am really into spicy food, which I am normally not. I also keep eating oranges, and I usually hate citrus fruit.
#14 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Artichokes. In any way shape or form.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#15 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM

I also go through phases. Last week it was TATER TOTS. With salt and ketchup. Also veggies with ranch dressing (really for the ranch dressing more than for the veggies!). Before that it was tomatoes. Very early on it was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I've pretty consistently wanted fruit juices. Occasionally, I have a meat craving -- since my DH and DD are both vegetarian, I don't eat a lot of meat in general.
#16 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Raw milk. It's the only thing that settles my stomach. I also am loving salad with olive oil, blue cheese and walnuts.

I know...conventional medicine would hate me...

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#17 of 32 Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 PM

I have been craving fruit too! Fresh pineapple, oranges, etc. I have a sensitive stomach for these things so have to be very careful to not over eat.

I also have wanted fresh juice. YUM.

AND cottage cheese and pineapple........YUM!!!!!!

I tend to go crazy, hog wild on something then get sick of it. Right now I'm addicted to triscuits. LOL

I'm having a blast getting to eat whatever sounds good!!
#18 of 32 Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
right in the beginning all i wanted was steak. now i crave orange juice and fruit.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#19 of 32 Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 PM

I think I'm craving protein. The bulk of my diet consists of black bean and cheese burritos, scrambled egg and cheese breakfast burritos, or hot ham and cheese melted on half of an english muffin. Yes, cheese is a recurrent theme here! lol I've always craved sweets and I still am.

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
#20 of 32 Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM

if you want to eat only fruit for entire meals, i say go for it! imo, raw food is nature's absolute perfect food and you can't go wrong.

my preferences change on a daily basis, like a few of the pp's. with a very few exceptions, i cannot eat a craving more than once or twice and then i'm over it.

regardless of my cravings, i am eating a minimum of 3 pieces of fruit each morning, sometimes more. i'm trying SO hard this time not to cave to sugar cravings.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#21 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 AM

For about a week I wanted popcorn. I'm over that now and don't have any cravings at the moment.
#22 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 AM

What's with all the fruit cravings in this DDC? LOL! That's totally me, too, and I'm usually not a big fruit eater. I'm also LOVING tomatoes! I went out and bought a 6-pack of V8 juice, which I have not touched in about 20 years. I also crave meat, which is weird, because during my last pregnancy, any kind of meat made me want to retch. Last time, I wanted nothing but carbs, but this time, I'm "meh" about them.

I'm right there with you mamas who said you have palate fatigue. Once I satisfy my craving for something, I'm pretty much over it and can't stand the thought of it again for quite a while.
#23 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
In the beginning it was nothing but carbs, crackers specifically. Dh bought a giant costco size box of ritz for me, and now they really don't sound very appealing. Now I'm craving more protein, not too much meat, but eggs, and dairy in any form. Butter, cream, yogurt, cheese, milk, you name it, and the more fat in it the better. I'm all for salty foods, but sweets do not sound appealing, unless it is fresh fruit. I don't really crave the fruit too much, but it's good when I eat it. The worst thing I could think to eat would be something that's all white flour and sugar, I nearly gag at the thought of cake.

I also crave condiments. I don't go eating them on their own, but I get a craving for mustard or ketchup and then have to think of something to eat it with.

I just go with whatever sounds good for the most part, I figure my body knows how to crave what it needs.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#24 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 AM

I very nearly cracked open a can of San Marzano tomatoes tonight and ate them with a fork. The thought of all that acidic stuff sloshing in my stomach stopped me. But it sounded sooooooo good. Pre-pregnancy eating canned tomatoes, even San M's, would have repulsed me.

I'm with those not craving sweets, not even fruit here. Strange. And caffeine makes me sick (except for in really small amounts, like tea), which stinks because I could REALLY use a pick-me-up sometimes and coffee sounds sooooooooo good!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#25 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 AM

angelorum, i can't help at the thought of craving condiments and you having to find something you can eat with them! hehe

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#26 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 AM

lol, dogmom, I'm obsessed with raw milk as well (nice creamy Jersey too ) - usually I don't even drink it, just make it into long-fermented yogurt, but yogurt is icking me out and I'm waking up in the morning excited for my granola/oatmeal/raisin bran/banana milkshake
A friend brought over a cheese platter the other night and the blue cheese was sooooo tasty, I practically ate slabs of it.
Other than that, sour pickles (which, crazily enough they only have imported and expensively here!), tomatoes and spicy asian food are all pretty appealing.
Last time I just disliked food in general and ate crackers and cheese if left to my own devices. I couldn't stomach greens at all and this time I'm scarfing them down . . . so this is an exciting improvement.

Oh and occasionally I really want a couple chocolate chips (but no more than that)

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#27 of 32 Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have major aversions to almost all protein sources. I'm vegan to begin with so this has been tricky. I EVEN tried dairy... It didn't help. I have mostly been craving fruit - sweet apples, in particular, as well as clementines and oranges. Oddly, the fruits I loved before pregnancy - which I'd eat at least 3 times a day such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries - have been largely unappealing. But apples... yummy!

oh, yes, potato chips

Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#28 of 32 Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 PM

nothing really this time.. but with DS I craved sweets like no other.. I HAD to have cocoa puffs for breakfast every morning, and craved junk food more than anything!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#29 of 32 Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Fruit was a major craving when I was pg w/ my ds. I would seriously devour a mini-platter from the grocery store (you know, the kind that has the yummy cream cheese dip) for dinner. So far, that's only happened once this time.

Chocolate milk. Every morning. Yum-o. Not pregnant, I'm rather indifferent about it.

Chocolate shakes from...of all places, McDonalds. One day, in the peak of morning sickness, my dh, ds and I stopped in for a quick lunch, thinking SOMETHING would appeal to me (I usually love their little cheeseburgers). I took one bite that day and it wasn't going well. I looked over and saw a woman and her son splitting a shake...and knew at that moment that's what I HAD to have....and it was heavenly!

I had a serious aversion to meat last time- especially beef. This time, I'm all about the cheeseburgers. Cheesy, greasy goodness!

Last time I had a Chipotle burrito (ooooooh, the Carnitas!!!!) (which at one time I loved so much I gave it up for Lent) right about the time morning sickness started, and haven't really cared for it since (2 years ago now). Now I have had Chipotle 3 times in the last 2 weeks. It would be more if my dh would let me!

It's funny that a few of you have mentioned sugar and that it has no appeal to you. I seem to be on a high-fructose corn syrup binge! I can not get enough of it!!!!! Gummy worms (the sour kind, Target brand), jelly beans, skittles, dots.......my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it! Not-pregnant, I'm usually not THIS into candy!

SUSHI is something else I want all the time. The sushi place at the mall of america has 2 great cooked sushi rolls I love (one tempura shrimp and the other is a cooked salmon, deep-fried roll of love on a plate), and it's a good thing it's 1.5 hours away or I would be there several times a week. Now the thought of wasabi and soy sauce just made my mouth water.

Smoked meat is definitely out. I almost gag at the smell of smoked anything.

Diet Dr Pepper. I want one every day. We're out.

Last time I went through a lot of phases, it seemed every week or so there was a different "flavor of the week".

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#30 of 32 Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bread and cheese. Exactly the two things I had planned on avoiding this time so I didn't gain loads of weight and grow a giant baby again! :

Other than those two, I really want savory, salty and sour foods. No real cravings for sweet, for now.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page