Weight gain check - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
July 2009 > Weight gain check
penstamon's Avatar penstamon 04:36 PM 03-11-2009
I know, I know. I shouldn't be obsessed with weight as long as I eat healthy and exercise. I'm not concerned with my weight gain, but as a first-timer it is a little shocking to see the scale jump!

I am 20.5w and up 12lbs. OB thinks its perfect and I dont feel that much bigger, but 4 lbs in the past month!

Where you ladies at?

also- is there any way to gauge what I will gain based on this halfway point? My mom was petite and only gained around 25lbs with her pregnancies and lost it quick...

georgiegirl1974's Avatar georgiegirl1974 04:41 PM 03-11-2009
At this point, 4 lbs in a month is completely normal.

At 21.5 weeks, I'm probably up 11 lbs.
mamaveggie's Avatar mamaveggie 04:49 PM 03-11-2009
I am 22 weeks and up 6 lbs, which I've put on in the last 6 weeks. In all three of my pregnancies I didn't gain anything until 18-20 weeks, then I pack on about 1 lb a week for a total gain of 25-30 lbs. Everyone is different.
freezehead's Avatar freezehead 04:53 PM 03-11-2009
nearly 23 weeks and somewhere between 16-20 lbs. (depending on voiding, clothing and eating factors.)

but i'll make myself feel like less of a porker compared with everyone else here by saying i had a lowish bmi to start with.

you gain what you gain.
Avani's Avatar Avani 05:10 PM 03-11-2009
24 weeks and around 25 lbs.
mamabohl's Avatar mamabohl 05:13 PM 03-11-2009
I'm up around 11 or 12 pounds too...or was at my last apointment. The funny thing is i never gain anything in the first trimester...but then I make it all up. In the 4 weeks before my last apointment I gained 8 pounds...the whole pregnancy before that? About 3 pounds....
audmommy's Avatar audmommy 06:05 PM 03-11-2009
I have gained 8lbs total. But I am sure I will gain more, I seem to put on most of my weight the last trimester, at least I did with DD.

Angie
edd 7/2/09
bemommy's Avatar bemommy 06:26 PM 03-11-2009
I started out with lots, LOTS, to lose. At 23.5 weeks I'm 2-3 lbs. up. I gained less than 10 in each of my other pregnancies. But I'm a really fluffy mama.
vonn's_mama's Avatar vonn's_mama 06:38 PM 03-11-2009
I kind of wanted to ask this, but hadn't gotten around to it. I'm at 22.5 weeks, and I've gained around 17 pounds. I was shocked when I saw that number, but it's consistent with my last pregnancy at this point, and after having my ds, I inadvertently ended up 4 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight, so I'm trying not to think about it. As someone else said, you gain what you gain.
AniellasMommy's Avatar AniellasMommy 06:54 PM 03-11-2009
I usually don't weigh myself at all during pregnancy. I think it bugs my midwife but Id seriously obsess. I really need to forget about numbers and focus on eating enough healthy food for me and the baby and I can't do that with a number in my head. y/k?
veganmama719's Avatar veganmama719 06:57 PM 03-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by audmommy View Post
I have gained 8lbs total. But I am sure I will gain more, I seem to put on most of my weight the last trimester, at least I did with DD.
I have gained 9 lbs (at 20.5 weeks) but 6 of it is on the last 4 weeks. I tend to gain very little in the beginning and then pack it on!
haren.13's Avatar haren.13 06:58 PM 03-11-2009
23.5 weeks and I'm up almost 20 pounds. Same-ish as last pregnancy and I was well under my pre-preg weight a couple months postpartum (thank you breastfeeding!). I try not to worry *too* much about the numbers on the scale...try...
bananababies's Avatar bananababies 07:37 PM 03-11-2009
I'm 23 weeks today and I've gained about 14 lbs. I started out a little overweight, so I was starting to freak out that I'm gaining too much - but it seems to be right about average. As long as I don't gain 40 again this time I'll be happy! 39 lbs is totally fine.
Angelorum's Avatar Angelorum 07:43 PM 03-11-2009
I'm 6 pounds up from pre-pregnancy weight at 20.3 weeks. There was a 5 pound loss early on, and it took me a long time to gain it back. I think I made it back up to pre-pregnancy weight at about 15 weeks, and and the 6 pounds on top of that have all been since then. I had a really quick 2-3 pound spike about a week ago, and have been holding steady since then. It is really weird to see the scale jump, especially as I've never had big, or even small, fluctuations in my weight since I graduated high school, but I think my midwife will be happy about it, since last time we talked I hadn't gained anything, and I am definitely on the low end of a healthy weight for my body size.
Sarahstw's Avatar Sarahstw 07:48 PM 03-11-2009
I refuse to get on a scale. It's so much better for my own psyche and I'm not convinced that knowing how much weight one gains really means anything in the long run except how much weight one gains... I have a sneaking suspicion that I've gained a bit tho... judging by the newly starting stretch mark... in my thigh!
rjruiz_415's Avatar rjruiz_415 07:51 PM 03-11-2009
OMG, i weighed myself at 21 weeks, and I am 1 lb under my pre pregnancy weight... so i lost 2 lbs last week I do not even know how that is possible, cause I have been nothing but a pig...
blissful_maia's Avatar blissful_maia 08:12 PM 03-11-2009
I am 21 weeks and I have gained 18 pounds! I gained 65 and 70 pounds with my dd's... I wonder what my grand total will be this time!
askew's Avatar askew 09:18 PM 03-11-2009
At 20 weeks I was up 15lbs. It is less that last time for me. I gained 65lbs with DS and lost it all by 4 months pp with no real effort. I think some bodies just want to gain more.
donutmolly's Avatar donutmolly 09:41 PM 03-11-2009
At 20 wks, I am still 5 lbs less than my pre-preg weight, which was about 20 lbs above my normal weight (hadn't gotten off the pg weight from DD2....) So, I'm happy with this so far. I'm trying not to gain so much weight this time. I really overdid it last time and it's so frustrating to feel huge after the baby is out. I do agree that each woman gains differently and there's a wide range of "normal" -- however, BFing does not make me lose weight. So I know I need to keep my eye on the scale and what I eat.
dogmom327's Avatar dogmom327 10:05 PM 03-11-2009
24 weeks and 10 lbs. Granted I was still carrying 15 lbs. extra when I got pregnant and really probably more like 20 lbs.
lindsayjean's Avatar lindsayjean 10:27 PM 03-11-2009
I have gained 6lbs so far. With my DD I gained 20lbs and had a nice sized over 8lb baby... so I think that's just around what my body naturally gains.
koalove's Avatar koalove 11:31 PM 03-11-2009
well, after last visit i have gained 4 lbs and in almost 24 weeks BUT i was overweight to begin with and my breasts dont get larger at all. it seems like you are on track...you gotta figure 3-4 lbs for breasts alone, not to mention your 1 pound babe, the placenta, uterus, extra blood, amniotic fluid, water weight, etc. 12 pounds seems like an easy number to reach at this point. especially if you were thin to begin with. you gotta build up your maternal fat stores whereas i already had my fat stores~ more than enough! i gained 80 with my first, 60 with the second, 50 with the 3rd and i hope to goodness i wont gain more than 30 this time because i never actually loose all the weight after i give birth. ide like to get back to 150 some day but who knows...
mags's Avatar mags 12:44 AM 03-12-2009
I'm 20 wks and up 1.5 lbs.
QTRANDI's Avatar QTRANDI 01:53 AM 03-12-2009
22 weeks (almost 23) and 23 lbs.

I too being a first timer have had some weight concerns. I haven't been overeating....... I just have to eat. Anytime I don't I feel queasy.

I asked the midwife last appointment about it..... and she said I was right on schedule made me feel a bit better.....

Plus, I've been told it isn't what you eat that makes your baby grow bigger (a worry for me having a homebirth).

Randi
ck1's Avatar ck1 01:32 PM 03-12-2009
Just under 24wks and 19lbs up.

I put the most on the past two weeks even though I hadn't changed anything about my diet or activity level - I even ate better - which surprised me when I stepped on the scale.

I get told a lot that I look small for 6 months (which is nice to hear, I won't lie...). I guess the little guy is getting bigger... he certainly feels like he's grown based on his movement and my stomach looking more like a Budah belly and not a saggy sac.
christibale's Avatar christibale 02:36 PM 03-12-2009
I'm 22.5 weeks and up 18 pounds, which totally astounds me because I've got hyperemisis. As soon as I started taking Unisom, I could eat, but not the best foods. I'm actually starting to lose weight as I eat better and better food.
kellykins's Avatar kellykins 03:53 PM 03-12-2009
At my last mw appointment (19w?) I had put ont almost 10? I feel like that will double by next visit. I am freakin out of control with food lately!! What is it with jalapenos??? LOL been making yellow corn tortilla chip + cheese + jalapeno + sourcream nachos like daily LOL!

I think I gained something in the neighborhood of 35 with dd? I was one of the "lucky" ones that didnt drop that last 10 til weaning...
sdmomma's Avatar sdmomma 06:12 PM 03-12-2009
I am up 6lbs at 24 weeks, but my appetite is in full force now. My food choices are getting a little wild - jelly beans and swiss cheese for snack!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
I was one of the "lucky" ones that didnt drop that last 10 til weaning...
We are twins!! I just replied in another thread about my placenta situation, and I also COULD NOT drop the last 10lbs until I weaned. I gained 27lbs with DD. My friends were jealous, but without good reason really, because I lost the weight SO slowly. I have friends who gained 50lbs that were back in their jeans before me!!
LauraReaux's Avatar LauraReaux 06:48 PM 03-12-2009
I'm jealous of all the weight gain! I'm honestly trying to gain right now (while still eating the right things). At my 20 week appointment, I had gained 10.5 lbs total so far. I had an ultrasound Tuesday though, and the babies are weighing almost a pound each! (14 oz & 15 oz) The doctor (my high-risk dr) still said "weight gain, weight gain, weight gain, weight gain" and I assured him that I'm trying.

What are you all eating? : lol
ATruck's Avatar ATruck 09:31 PM 03-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraReaux View Post
I'm jealous of all the weight gain! I'm honestly trying to gain right now (while still eating the right things). At my 20 week appointment, I had gained 10.5 lbs total so far. I had an ultrasound Tuesday though, and the babies are weighing almost a pound each! (14 oz & 15 oz) The doctor (my high-risk dr) still said "weight gain, weight gain, weight gain, weight gain" and I assured him that I'm trying.

What are you all eating? : lol
I will send you some of my weight gain. Hmm, what am I eating too much of that is still relatively healthy--- cereal (use whole milk), breads/muffins, whole wheat pasta.

Impressive that your twins are supposedly a pound each! Good work. That would be a nice size for a singleton at 20 weeks!
1 2  3  ... Last

Up