Sore, sore breasts and scabs on nipples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, kind of gross topic..
I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have small, brown scabs on my nipple- not just the tip of my nipple but all over my nipple. They almost look like dead skin that's brown. I have scraped them off with my finger and put some Lanolin on my nipples because they are also really sore. What are these from? I breast fed my 2nd son for 8 months and remember having these with him and also with my first son, even though I didn't breast feed him. I have never gotten them this early though and it also seems like my breasts and nipples are more sore than they have ever been- like putting on a bra hurts, being naked without a bra hurts, it just hurts- like aches. Could I possibly have some sort of infection or is this just my breasts prepping for the coming baby?

My sore boobs and I would really appreciate any advice you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 PM

Thrush?
#3 of 7 Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM

I didn't have "spots" per se but I had very itchy aerola's to the point where they were dry/scaly to touch/sight. My midwife prescribed some Triple Nipple Cream that I put 2x daily for a few months and they feel a ton better.

Don't know if it'd help in this case........ but sure did in mine.

Randi
#4 of 7 Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 PM

My nipples are sore, and I noticed that I have some crusty stuff on them that I believe to be discharge. I don't pick it off, but I do try to make sure to moisturize them when I can... good luck! Lanolin is probably a great thing to be doing

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#5 of 7 Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM

I had some weird stuff going on with my nipples a week or two ago, soon after I weaned DD (there hadn't been any milk for a while.) The nipples were kind of rough and scratchy. I but a little lanolin on them. Then they seemed crusty (brownish). Then after I took a hot shower, the crusty stuff came off, and my nipples seemed normal again. The whole process was about 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the deal was. I was about to call my LLL leader friend, but then things improved.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#6 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for the thoughts.
I am going to call my OB in the morning and ask the nurse.
This is a bit more painful than I have ever remembered being.
I'll let you know what they say....
#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS weaning a few weeks ago and I noticed some brown stuff like you described on my nipples. Didn't hurt and actually came up with a very light scratch/touch. I've also had some crusty white stuff there. No pain or itchiness.

I don't think I've had any milk for a month or so (hence the weaning) but I did guess that this was dried milk.

I had super sensitive nipples all through nursing (had to wear breast pad for almost two years) and they are much much less sensitive than before.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page