What do you still need to make/buy/do for baby/birth/postpartem? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we did a thread on this a month or so ago...let's see how we are progressing now that our babies will be coming in just a few more weeks!

Things to make:
I can't make anything lol...but, my co-worker is knitting a nice summer blanket, well, and some frozen meals etc--but, not too many, I think I'll have at least a week or so of meals provided to me.

Things to buy:
-Breast pump
-Cloth diapers (these are really for my 2yo because his are wearing out, but, sense they are one size I think we can ask people to buy them "for the baby"--is that wrong lol?
-Diaper sprayer
-Ergo backpack attachment--this will be my "diaper bag" this time, no free hands for a real one lol!
-Lansinoh breast pads and lanolin
-Bottle nipples
-receiving blankets and possibly a few clothing items--I need to double check what I have
-capsules for the placenta

Things to do:
-Convert DS1's old toddler bed back into a crib
-Wash the covers of baby gear (carseat, double stroller etc)
-Pack hospital bag (keeping it simple, outfit for baby, outfit for me, bathrobe, socks, sipper water bottle, nursing bras, nightgown, snacks for DH and Mom, lanolin, camera)
-oooh that one reminded me to get our camera fixed or find one to borrow!

That's all I can think of...sounds like a lot now that I wrote it out lol!
#2 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM

I need to:
1) get bed bug bumpers
2) wash and set up the Amby hammock I got
3) wash all baby clothes and covers (hadn't thought of that, thanks!)
4) get my birth kit for my home birth
5) get the baby's car seat installation checked

I think that's it. I'm probably forgetting something!

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#3 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM

I need to:
Write an emergency transfer birth plan
pack BC bag
Install the carseat (going to wait a few weeks for this)
Buy a present for DS from the baby
download hypnobirthing CDs and upload onto ipod
put the amby bed up
finish unpacking and organizing from our move!!!
Stock up on easy to eat/make food
pick out my meditation aromatherapy scent

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#4 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 06:01 PM

All I need at this point are a few dozen cloth diapers and diaper accessories (buying them on June 1 when hubby gets paid), some boy clothes 3-6 months and up (garage sales), and a supplemental nursing system (to have on hand 'just in case'... I had a horrible time at the beginning nursing my daughter, so I want to be prepared if we have issues this time). That is it. Everything else is taken care of. Well, besides washing clothes

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#5 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM

What I need to buy:

swaddle blankets
hooded towels
washcloths
baby socks
diapers
Phil and Ted's stroller w/ doubles attachment (in my dreams...LOL)
Beco baby carrier (again, this is a want not a need)
monitor
new prefolds (to use as burp cloths)
I'm sure there is more to buy

what I need to do:

install car seat
get my hooter hider back from friend

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#6 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiegirl1974 View Post
What I need to buy:

Phil and Ted's stroller w/ doubles attachment (in my dreams...LOL)
Hey, FYI costco.com has the P&T sport with doubles for only $299!!!!! Go and order it NOW! That is a fantastic price! I have had mine for almost 4 yrs and paid MORE than that. I LOVE my P&T, you won't regret it!
#7 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Continue de-cluttering the house.
Sort through and organize the baby diapers.
Hook up the co-sleeper to the bed (that will wait until last minute)
Dig out and install infant car seat.
Pack hospital bag.
Stock freezer.
Send pre-reg forms to hospital.

Goodness knows what else.

Hey, if you need a diaper sprayer. . I'm pretty sure I have one (unused) that we don't need. We bought the potty pail and diaper sprayer package with the last kid. Didn't really think about how close our toilet is to the shower. Love the potty pail, but never hooked up the sprayer because our hand held shower head reaches great. PM me.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#8 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Things to buy:

-Lanisoh lanolin
-Soothie pads
-Otherwise, the only new thing I bought for this baby is an infant carseat. I love it, b/c it's so pretty, it's pale green and brown (snugride 32 zurich), and I bought it before finding out I was having another boy, but I am glad I got it, b/c it is gender neutral, but stylish looking that I don't feel like I am stuck with something boyish and ugly again. (Can you tell I REALLy wanted a girl this time?)

Things to make:

DH says he is going to make straps to convert my Phil and Ted stroller to the infant carseat, so I won't need to get a snap n go stroller. Basically, I need this, b/c I have to do pre-k and 1/2 k drop off and pick up with my older two, so this baby will be towed in and out for quick trips from the parking lot. I normally wear my babies, but for quick in and out trips like that, it will be a PITA to take him in and out of the carseat and in and out of sling just for a 10 min stop, kwim? Plus, we have cold winters, so I don't want to take the baby in and out of the carseat in the winter time for stuff like this.

Oh, I also want to make my own baby mobile. I want something that the baby can keep using, so don't want a mobile the requires batteries. I've been drooling over the pretty ones on etsy, but don't want to pay the prices! I am pretty crafty, so think I can pull off making a mobile on my own, I just need to figure out a theme. If you have any suggestions, I'm game!

Things to do:

The baby room is a MESS! I basically have everything I need all piled into that room, but I need to clean it, sort through it and organize it. This includes baby gear (borrowed a bunch from a friend this past wknd and some of it looks kind of dirty), my cloth diapers, baby slings and baby clothes. The crib needs to be set up, but we probably won't be using it until the baby is a few months old anyway, so I am not too worried about it. My friend lent me a co-sleeper, so I am excited to use that for the first few months. Oh, we also have a lot of house projects to finish, but really if they don't get done, it won't be the end of the world.
#9 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 06:53 PM

I need to do a little more reading on different things to look for that would indicate needing to go to the hospital (planning a UC)
I need to buy all birth supplies (pool, hoses, some herbs, extra towles, etc...)
I need more PP mama cloth. I have 8 right now, and lots and lots of ugly old pfs I am gonna use, so this *could* slide if need be.
I need to make freezer meals - but I will not start this until the beg of July. I need to start planning them now
That is it, i think (and hope I am not missing anything-lol)

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#10 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM

- I need to finish knitting the baby's blanket and two soakers.
- I need to finish sewing my cloth wipes.
- I need to order 1 dozen more small prefolds and some more snappis.
- We also need a changing pad, but I think someone is sewing us one.
- Ummm. I think that's it. After we have the baby shower I will reevaluate.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#11 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM

Things to Make
A few more cloth diapers, but I want to wait and see how big she is first
Big brother t-shirt for Ds
Nursing pads

Things to Buy
Dozen newborn prefolds
Wetbag
Baby book
Baby socks

Things to Do
Wash baby's clothes
Wash covers of baby items (car seat, swing, glider, etc)
Wash and prep cloth diapers
Install car seat bases
Set up co-sleeper (probably once baby is born)
Pack hospital bag and overnight bag for Ds
Wash pump parts (again, probably not until after baby is born)

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#12 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Hey, FYI costco.com has the P&T sport with doubles for only $299!!!!! Go and order it NOW! That is a fantastic price! I have had mine for almost 4 yrs and paid MORE than that. I LOVE my P&T, you won't regret it!

Thanks so much for posting this. Just ordered it! Shipping was included too so the total was only $320 with tax. I've been looking for a used one for a while now and they are hard to find in my area. I'd found one but it was 3 years old and the woman still wanted $300 for it. This is really a great deal. The infant seat can be used as a bouncy seat at home too - crosses one more thing off my list.
Thanks!
#13 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM

what a fun thread. maybe it will get me moving!

i need to:
get everything on the homebirth supply list
review and round out my cloth diaper supplies
cook and freeze several meals
buy carseat and a swing (yes, i cannot live without a swing!)
round up offered hand me downs and get the rest at the thrift store

so basically, EVERYTHING!

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#14 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 PM

geeez ladies i thought i was all set but rading your lists tells me i have overlooked a few things. i have been sewing wool diaper covers. we set up the cosleeper and its just sitting in the livingroom where i can see it and feel like i am doing some sort of nesting. i need to cook and freeze meals. i need to get our homebirth supplies, a supplemental nursing system, wash the baby clothes, blow up the birth pool to make sure theres no air leaks, buy the hoses for it.....yikes! i guess im not ready!

joyful student mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, crazy in love with DH, and loving our new baby boy! 7-09:!!
#15 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

LizzyQ- present to DS1 from baby---I knew I was overlooking something!

bemommy- PMing you!
#16 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
LizzyQ- present to DS1 from baby---I knew I was overlooking something!
What are you getting him? I am thinking I will get him his own "baby" to take care of while I take care of the real baby.

#17 of 53 Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM

I need to make a list. There is a lot to still be done, and just thinking about making the list kind of overwhelms me. I'm stuck in bed with pre-e, and when I think about what needs to be done, and just how much of it I CAN'T do, I panic a bit.
#18 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemomofalmost4 View Post
Thanks so much for posting this. Just ordered it! Shipping was included too so the total was only $320 with tax. I've been looking for a used one for a while now and they are hard to find in my area. I'd found one but it was 3 years old and the woman still wanted $300 for it. This is really a great deal. The infant seat can be used as a bouncy seat at home too - crosses one more thing off my list.
Thanks!
What a great deal! I'm glad you got it. You'll love it! What color did you get? I wish they would have had all the funky colors available when I got mine. I have a charcoal one, but would have loved a more fun color.
#19 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 AM

oh dear- we're not THAT close yet are we?!?! I still haven't got my list from my HB midwife yet even, so I figure I have SOME time. Mostly I just need to clean the baby carseat and install it, but I suppose with a homebirth that could even be done after he is born hehe.
#20 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 AM

: :

This is my 3rd baby but 1st summer baby and time has really gotten away from me. I have been so busy gardening & trying to get some landscaping done that the weeks keep slipping away (I will be 33w Sun., yikes!).

I have some things from my previous 2 babies but I have honestly not bought anything for this baby. I have enough "left over" clothing, diapers, supplies, etc. to get by until I could get some things or send dh or my mom to get them, but there are some things that I do need to do next prenatal ie get my birth kit from my mw and pick up a few birth supplies that I would like to have on hand for the birth. Better get to it!!!
#21 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 01:45 AM

I don't want to think about it! : :

I have bought NOTHING! Ok, I probably don't really have to because my youngest is 18 mos, but I have not looked at the baby box yet. She was a winter baby though, so I think I am in denial :

My room is a disater, so much so that DH and I are sleeping in the guestroom : My bedroom is where I will give birth and where baby will sleep!

We don't have a car to fit the whole family!
We want to get a seat conversion instead, but have still not done it...

What happened to the year?
Time passed too fast, and now I am too pregnant, tired and painful to be able or want to do anything. I am going to end up having the baby in the living room, asking DH to run to the store and buy diapers, and having the baby naked in a sling for the first weeks - it is summer though, right? :
#22 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
What are you getting him? I am thinking I will get him his own "baby" to take care of while I take care of the real baby.
Honestly, I had not decided yet-but, that is a great idea, he loves "babies" too so that should be perfect...I'll probably do that and ask my mom to make a doll sling for him Plus he thinks he has a baby in his belly and is sure to be disappointed that mine comes out and his doesn't lol
#23 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM

oh yeah, I am making our own slings so that should have been on my list. LOL! Sew slings. One for each parent and one for my daughter. I should get on that pretty soon.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#24 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
What a great deal! I'm glad you got it. You'll love it! What color did you get? I wish they would have had all the funky colors available when I got mine. I have a charcoal one, but would have loved a more fun color.
I got the red one - really like the blue color but since two little girls will be riding in it thought red would work better.
I'm super excited - can't wait for it to come. A good friend has one and loves it - she's the one who talked me into it.
#25 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Quindin, I'm right there with you!

The only thing, and I mean ONLY thing I have ready for the new baby are the diapers - a lovely SAHM mom made me some NB and size ones, but they are unwashed and really, I don't even know where they are right now!

I have some clothes that will be hand-me-downs from DS and a few things from the thrift store, but I'm not too worried about that.

I want to make my own mama cloths and have the fabric and pattern but right now its just sitting in the corner by the sewing machine collecting dust. I really need to make that a priority or I will be wearing DS's diapers pp!!!

Our house is a disaster...we are nearing completion of a huge remodeling project and I am just about at the end of my rope. Everything is in boxes piled up everywhere, every room is a disaster, workers are here every single day (I have started requesting Sundays off so I can have at least a little peace), its noisy, dusty and I am just dying to nest!!! : I am told that by this time next week everything will be done and we will be able to move back into the other rooms...yeah, I'll hold my breath!

Oh, but I did buy DS a baby doll so that he can *practice* with a baby before the real one gets here. He is only 20 months old and has no idea what is actually going on so I thought this might be a good transition object. I think I will give it to him this afternoon.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#26 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Baby doll for my 18mo - thanks for reminding me!
#27 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Things I need to buy:
bed rails
car seat
birthing pool

Things I need to do:
deep clean the whole house
get freezer meals ready
wash baby clothes

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#28 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM

write will
find pediatrician
go shopping (one big trip to T@rget will do it, but I'm waiting for my shower before we go)
prep prefolds
launder hand-me-downs
install car seat (waiting for mid-June for this)

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#29 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 AM

This is my 3rd baby. 2nd boy and 2nd July baby. So I think I have most things covered.

Things I need to buy:

mamapads although I guess I could just get some extra infant size prefolds. I have about 10. I bled a lot with both babies though.
A baby hammock (probably won't happen)

Things I need to do:

freeze some meals
wash baby clothes and cloth diapers
get swing and crib out of attic (well DH will probably do this) and clean
set up bassinet

We are converting our home office into a room for the baby. In no way will this be donw until after the babe is here but he will sleep with us for at least the frist 3 months anyway and his diaper changing area is in our walk through closet

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#30 of 53 Old 05-22-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
write will
We still haven't done this.. I keep meaning to!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page