How to Keep Adrenaline to a Minimum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was planning for my first birth, I had the mindset that I was going to kick labor's butt. When my contractions settled into a pattern, I was just so excited I could hardly stand it; that's just my personality. I believe both of these mindsets had something to do with why my labor didn't progress well on its own.

Since we're doing Hypnobabies with this birth, I'm looking forward to being in a totally different frame of mind. I know now that the key to letting my body labor is to keep adrenaline at bay and let the oxytocin and endorphins take control. But how do I do it?

If anyone has any great advice for how NOT to get excited at the onset of labor, fill me in! I know that listening to my scripts will help me relax, but I still foresee myself getting all pumped up, which is counter-productive when the body is working to birth a baby. Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Lauren - mom to Lolli (09/23/07) and Poppy (07/21/09) and Ozzie (05/26/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always found that breathing with a mantra can be very helpful in calming down the mind. There is one I read in Peggy's book "Having a Baby, Naturally" that was upon slow inhalation you say, "I breathe in, I am calm" and with exhalation, "I breathe out, I smile" Sitting for even just a few minutes and focusing on something simple like that can do wonders for re-centering yourself.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page