Heavy coughing... does it hurt the baby?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had the most painful sore throat of my life this week, bad enough to go on antibiotics. They are helping, but now my coughing is jut out of control.

It's really heavy and jarring. Do any of you know how coughing like that can affect the baby?? Maybe it's just that it's so painful to me that I can't imagine it not hurting her somehow... I don't know. I tried doing a search here but I didn't find anything.
#2 of 7 Old 06-05-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm not sure that it's "hurting" the baby, but if you are coughing so much that you are using your abdominal muscles, I'm sure baby can feel it.

I too have an awful sore throat (courtesy of Ds) and have developed a cough from it. I spoke to my midwife about it this morning since I was there for a visit anyways and she said what I have is viral and I am just increasing my fluids as much as I can and taking a little bit extra vitamin C. She told me that if it got worse to give my primary care doctor a call to have him run a strep test.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#3 of 7 Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Baby is surrounded by fluid, in your uterus, in your abdomen so she may be getting jostled, but unlikely that it is hurting her in any way.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#4 of 7 Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ugh, I have a horrible cough right now too, it sucks. I'm not really worried about my coughing hurting the baby, it's not like I don't ever use my abs when I'm not coughing, but I have noticed that sometimes all the abdominal flexing stimulates a Braxton Hicks contraction. I've just been trying to rest as much as I can (I'm way jetlagged right now too) and have been sucking down a ton of water, ice and cough drops. I think (hope!) I'm over the worst of it now, I had a very low grade fever this morning that's gone now, which usually means I'm on the way up.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#5 of 7 Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 PM

It's not that it will hurt the baby but you could break a rib from extreme coughing (I had a terrible virus when pg with my last, and my coughing got so bad that I broke a rib). I was 38 weeks when it happened so I was worried about being able to have a hb. I found a great Chinese medicine Dr. (herbs and acupuncture) that I visited and he worked wonders.
Baby was fine.
#6 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 AM

I have an incompetent cervix and extreme coughing caused my cervix to tear through the prophylactic cerclage I had in place at the time. I tried every over the counter thing I could get my hands on to stop the cough, both medical and homeopathic, and I took an antibiotic. The only thing that calmed my cough was Robitussin with codeine which was prescribed by my OB -- only it began working one day too late. In our case, my terrible cough caused an infant demise due to extreme prematurity.

I know many people have terrible bouts of coughing during pregnancy and do just fine, but I'm personally very sensitive to the idea. I hope it goes away very soon. Even with the best of outcomes, it's very uncomfortable and not a fun addition to pregnancy.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#7 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. It seems to be getting better. It did make me pee on the couch last night. So attractive!

And it does seem to be causing for BH. I have been paying special attention to DD-to-be's kicking, and she isn't kicking me as hard as she usually does, but she's definitely still doing it. I slept a lot better last night and am starting to be able to control the cough a little bit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page