How much time is your DH/DP taking off? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking through the 'guess Baby's birthday' thread and I saw that some Mamas are hoping for a weekend baby because their DH is not able to take ANY time off work! That is so sad!

How long is your DH/DP going to stay home from work? How did you guys work it out? Are you starting to stress as we get closer?

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#2 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

My DH doesn't get any paid time off. We have been able to work it out money-wise that he can take two weeks off. He works nights and summer is the busy time so it can be 10-14 hour shifts with driving.

I am SOO afraid to be home alone with a tiny, two week old little person for 12 hours a day!

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#3 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 03:42 AM

Yeah, DH does not get any paid time off, and we have no vacation left (used for bills bills bills Realistically, we could manage if he had to take 3-4 days off, but i would not like to be in that situation, we are poor

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#4 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 AM

My DH will take 2 weeks off after the birth. And he also gets 4 weeks vacation during the summer.
#5 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 AM

Every dad here gets 2 weeks off paternity leave.
DH will take 2 weeks off, but he may have to do it in August: if the baby comes in mid July, DH will need to leave for a 2 week camp to teach. My sister will be here in July though.
He also gets 4 weeks off holiday every year, but we won't touch that for the leave because we plan on traveling later on.
#6 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM

DH has been saving up his vacation time for his paternity leave, we definitely could not afford unpaid time off. His plan is to take two weeks off, work 2 days the following 2 weeks and 3 days the two weeks after that. I really wanted to have him around during the first 6 weeks because we have no one else near by, and I have no idea what being home with a newborn is going to be like. Realistically he will probably have to do a little bit of work from home while he is off, but at least he will be here.
#7 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 AM

DH will probably take the day after the baby is born off and then go back to work half days for a while. He owns his own business and hired someone specifically to cover him but we aren't really sure how well that is going to work out. But my mom and sister are both around all summer so I will have help from them.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#8 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Dh is a real estate agent so he can make his own schedule, but unfortunately for me that usually means he is working 15 hours a day. Even if he is home, he is working. I am already a little worried about the role his Blackberry will have in my labor and birth. It is constantly making noise and demanding his attention. I knew all this before we married so I have learned to accept it, but it is frustration sometimes. I think after the baby is born he will make more of an effort to be around for a few weeks, but he cannot take any real time off.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#9 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 AM

My DH has paid leave, but, we'd rather save it for vacation later in the year! My MIL and SFIL will likely be in town around the birth (depends when our little guy comes and if their vacation is approved) and I have some other family too.

We are going to play it by ear--but, he'll probably be around for about 4-5 days, we're just hoping it uses as little vacation time as possible lol...this could work out, he works 40+hrs Wed-Sat, and then Sun-Tues off.
#10 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM

My DH is going to take about 2 wks off. He has been saving up his PTO time. They don't get paid leave, unless they save up their own PTO time. The only other, "help" I will get is mil or my mom will watch my older two kids while I am at the hospital, but I doubt either one will stick around when I come home from the hospital, b/c they both drive me kind of nuts.
#11 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm in the no time off club. Boo! But, MIL will be here to help with DD and whatever, and I have a post-partum doula, so I am hoping things will be ok.
I just feel bad for him, cause it would be nice to bond with your new child!
Also, my midwife wants me to stay in bed for a whole week after birth, and that will make things hard!

mama to Journey (1/07) Sequoia (1/07) and Camellia (7/09)
#12 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 AM

DH can take two weeks off. He is going to take the full first week, then do half days for two weeks after that. He won't want to go back to work when baby comes...he so insanely excited!!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#13 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Luckily our work gives partner's a week paternity leave (DH works at the same university as I do) and then he will take 2 weeks holidays in addition to that. He has a lot of time saved. That should take us to late July/even early Aug. By then I'm hoping to be fine with two ! we'll see! I'm sorry for the mamas that are going it alone. In time you will get into a groove!
#14 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Mine is taking 2 weeks. and it is almost over! Monday morning it will just be me and the girls! I am a little nervous, but plenty of people have 4 or 5 or 6- including some of you! So surely I can handle 2.

The whole family has started getting out a little each day, for practice. This has actually been sort of overwhelming for my 2 yr old, since I haven't left the house with her for a month, so I am glad we have been doing it.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#15 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Dh is planning on taking 10-14 days off from his full time job, but he will still need to work his part time job since he just switched stores and he doesn't have any vacation time. His time off from his full time job is unpaid, but he is going to use his vacation/PTO.
We don't have any family close by so I won't have anyone around on a daily basis, but my mum and sister's are planning to come down for a week and other family members are planning weekend trips.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#16 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Crashing from August club, DH will probably take 2-3 days off, unpaid. But he will be caring for our three olders while I enjoy the baby...
#17 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 AM

We have no paid leave off for DH either... he JUST started a new job in May and I think he only has one day paid off so far, maybe by the time DS2 comes he will have 2 paid days off, and that's all so far.

His boss told him he could take one week off after the baby. He works out of town so, he will only be here on the weekends as well. So I will be doing all the night-time and day time parenting alone.

However, we rent MIL's basement apt so she will be around to help out some.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#18 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

I'm very lucky because DH gets a TON of vacation each year (10 weeks!). So he's taking 3 weeks off...the week before I'm due and the two weeks after I'm due. (He needs to schedule his vacation in advance, but if I go into labor more than 1 week early, he should be able to re-arrange things.) My ILs will also be here for the entire month of July, and I know life will be better with DH there to diffuse the IL situation...and to play with DD.

When DD was born, he took 1 week off. (I had her on a Saturday, and he took that next week off. Well he also took the Friday before off because I was in labor all day.) My mom came that next weekend, so I wasn't alone with the baby for another 2 weeks.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#19 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM

DH has the Paid Family Medical Leave Act that he gets to use, but since it's only at 55% of regular pay, he's not going to take much of it
He'll probably take 1-2 days off when baby comes, and then wait and take 2 weeks off with the Medical Leave Act, for a trip to see our parents in September.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#20 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Crashing from June... DH gets 10 days off theoretically but it IS the Army we are talking about so that isn't set in stone. My mom is here and hopefully baby makes an appearance ASAP (EDD was yesterday) so that she can be here to help as long as possible then we are hoping that DH can take his 10 days after she leaves.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#21 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM

DH has to use his vacation time, and unfortunately he's already used up a whole lot of it for all my new doctors appointments, and he's going to have to take a day off for my surgery next week. So he will be taking 2-3 days off paid. Hopefully he can work from home for another day or two so we get a whole week, but if it's a weekend baby then it will be fine. We can't really afford for him to take any unpaid time off unfortunately

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#22 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure. My husband has some vacation time but it really depends on what is going on in the office. His pay is mostly commission, so if he isn't there selling it is going to effect our income regardless of his 'paid' time off.

He'll probably take a few days off, for sure, and then go back 1/2 days to put out fires for a few more. It really depends on how I feel, and if we have family available and willing to come over and help me out during the first week or so.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
#23 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Initially he was going to take 2 weeks off, but since he has been laid off for the past two weeks who knows. He will at least be home for the first week, my mom will take some time the week after that and some of my friends are going to take the girls off my hands and deliver meals the next few weeks after that.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#24 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 PM

My DH works for a small company that has a "take off time if you need it" philosophy, which sounds OK in theory but no one really takes off time...so DH doesn't want to be the only one (he's only worked there 6 mo). There has been one family that had a baby since he started working for the company and the husband took off the day his wife had the baby and was at work the next day! So I am not sure if the policy is a real policy or just lip service.

DH was a grad student with both our DDs and he took at least 2 weeks. With DD2 he even worked half-time at night for a month when my maternity leave was over because we didn't have daycare right away. He loved the "alone time" he had with her and she is definitely still a daddy's girl. Now that I am not working, transitioning to our third child is going to be different for all of us.
#25 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM

My DH is a professor so he has the summers off anyway. He is scheduled to go back to teach at the end of July, and his university gave him a light load for the Fall knowing he was going to be a new dad...so I am in a pretty good position I think.
#26 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM

DH actually has TONS of vacation time saved up (we're talking about 8 weeks worth) so he will take 1-2 weeks off depending on how we are both feeling. He gets really nervous when he is home for 'no reason'... now I know he will feel different with a new baby but we'll see. When we had our daughter he didn't get ANY time off except the day she was born (and with that he came over to the hospital after he got off work... so it was the next day he had off). Anyhow, we are very fluid on our plan right now.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#27 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 PM

My husband works for himself, so he could theoretically take however long he wants... but after a couple days he has to pay someone to be there in his place. So he will probably take a couple days totally off, then pay someone else for a couple days, then keep that person on to help him for a couple more days after that.

He works from home, so even when he is working, he will still technically be home with me. We also have two friends who will be staying with us for a week or 2 after the birth (depending on when baby comes) so we'll have that help, too.

With this one being #4, I know there's no way I'd be up for new baby and three other young kids on my own, so I am really grateful to have my husband working from home and we worked hard to bring in as much help as we can for the first couple weeks at least.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#28 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 PM

DH had the option of taking 3 months at 1/2 pay, 2 at 3/4 pay, or 1 month at full pay. We decided to do the one month. He has a second job in the middle of the night 3 days/week, and he'll probably go back to that fairly quickly. It will probably depend on how well DS1 is sleeping when the baby arrives.

We are lucky that DH can take off so much time, but I have a feeling that I will be more than ready for him to go back to work when the month is up.

love.gif

#29 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 PM

for as few months this spring, my dh's company hit some really slow times, and they cut down on hours- forcing everyone to use a day of vacation a week for several weeks. Agh. We didn't know how long that was going to last, and at that point he had exactly enough PTO to use one day a week until the baby's due date. I was freaked out! Luckily, things picked up and that only lasted for about 6 weeks or so (but still 6 weeks! That's over a week off after the baby comes!). We had orginally wanted him to take off 2 weeks when the baby comes, but it looks like it's just going to be one week now, so that we can still go visit his family for Thanksgiving this year (it's our "vacation").

So, long story short: 1 week.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#30 of 50 Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM

DH is trying to save up vacation time. We are hoping for a week.

Leigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page