How much time is your DH/DP taking off? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
July 2009 > How much time is your DH/DP taking off?
femalephish's Avatar femalephish 04:31 AM 06-11-2009
I was looking through the 'guess Baby's birthday' thread and I saw that some Mamas are hoping for a weekend baby because their DH is not able to take ANY time off work! That is so sad!

How long is your DH/DP going to stay home from work? How did you guys work it out? Are you starting to stress as we get closer?

femalephish's Avatar femalephish 04:35 AM 06-11-2009
My DH doesn't get any paid time off. We have been able to work it out money-wise that he can take two weeks off. He works nights and summer is the busy time so it can be 10-14 hour shifts with driving.

I am SOO afraid to be home alone with a tiny, two week old little person for 12 hours a day!
rjruiz_415's Avatar rjruiz_415 04:42 AM 06-11-2009
Yeah, DH does not get any paid time off, and we have no vacation left (used for bills bills bills Realistically, we could manage if he had to take 3-4 days off, but i would not like to be in that situation, we are poor
Vilde's Avatar Vilde 04:46 AM 06-11-2009
My DH will take 2 weeks off after the birth. And he also gets 4 weeks vacation during the summer.
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 06:12 AM 06-11-2009
Every dad here gets 2 weeks off paternity leave.
DH will take 2 weeks off, but he may have to do it in August: if the baby comes in mid July, DH will need to leave for a 2 week camp to teach. My sister will be here in July though.
He also gets 4 weeks off holiday every year, but we won't touch that for the leave because we plan on traveling later on.
CourtBChase's Avatar CourtBChase 08:58 AM 06-11-2009
DH has been saving up his vacation time for his paternity leave, we definitely could not afford unpaid time off. His plan is to take two weeks off, work 2 days the following 2 weeks and 3 days the two weeks after that. I really wanted to have him around during the first 6 weeks because we have no one else near by, and I have no idea what being home with a newborn is going to be like. Realistically he will probably have to do a little bit of work from home while he is off, but at least he will be here.
eli's mama's Avatar eli's mama 09:05 AM 06-11-2009
DH will probably take the day after the baby is born off and then go back to work half days for a while. He owns his own business and hired someone specifically to cover him but we aren't really sure how well that is going to work out. But my mom and sister are both around all summer so I will have help from them.
tracymom1's Avatar tracymom1 09:53 AM 06-11-2009
Dh is a real estate agent so he can make his own schedule, but unfortunately for me that usually means he is working 15 hours a day. Even if he is home, he is working. I am already a little worried about the role his Blackberry will have in my labor and birth. It is constantly making noise and demanding his attention. I knew all this before we married so I have learned to accept it, but it is frustration sometimes. I think after the baby is born he will make more of an effort to be around for a few weeks, but he cannot take any real time off.
LilMomma83's Avatar LilMomma83 10:04 AM 06-11-2009
My DH has paid leave, but, we'd rather save it for vacation later in the year! My MIL and SFIL will likely be in town around the birth (depends when our little guy comes and if their vacation is approved) and I have some other family too.

We are going to play it by ear--but, he'll probably be around for about 4-5 days, we're just hoping it uses as little vacation time as possible lol...this could work out, he works 40+hrs Wed-Sat, and then Sun-Tues off.
mags's Avatar mags 11:01 AM 06-11-2009
My DH is going to take about 2 wks off. He has been saving up his PTO time. They don't get paid leave, unless they save up their own PTO time. The only other, "help" I will get is mil or my mom will watch my older two kids while I am at the hospital, but I doubt either one will stick around when I come home from the hospital, b/c they both drive me kind of nuts.
SequoiasMom's Avatar SequoiasMom 11:09 AM 06-11-2009
I'm in the no time off club. Boo! But, MIL will be here to help with DD and whatever, and I have a post-partum doula, so I am hoping things will be ok.
I just feel bad for him, cause it would be nice to bond with your new child!
Also, my midwife wants me to stay in bed for a whole week after birth, and that will make things hard!
alicewyf's Avatar alicewyf 11:39 AM 06-11-2009
DH can take two weeks off. He is going to take the full first week, then do half days for two weeks after that. He won't want to go back to work when baby comes...he so insanely excited!!
Caroline P's Avatar Caroline P 11:41 AM 06-11-2009
Luckily our work gives partner's a week paternity leave (DH works at the same university as I do) and then he will take 2 weeks holidays in addition to that. He has a lot of time saved. That should take us to late July/even early Aug. By then I'm hoping to be fine with two ! we'll see! I'm sorry for the mamas that are going it alone. In time you will get into a groove!
ATruck's Avatar ATruck 11:49 AM 06-11-2009
Mine is taking 2 weeks. and it is almost over! Monday morning it will just be me and the girls! I am a little nervous, but plenty of people have 4 or 5 or 6- including some of you! So surely I can handle 2.

The whole family has started getting out a little each day, for practice. This has actually been sort of overwhelming for my 2 yr old, since I haven't left the house with her for a month, so I am glad we have been doing it.
LindsC's Avatar LindsC 12:02 PM 06-11-2009
Dh is planning on taking 10-14 days off from his full time job, but he will still need to work his part time job since he just switched stores and he doesn't have any vacation time. His time off from his full time job is unpaid, but he is going to use his vacation/PTO.
We don't have any family close by so I won't have anyone around on a daily basis, but my mum and sister's are planning to come down for a week and other family members are planning weekend trips.
Amanda Williams's Avatar Amanda Williams 12:06 PM 06-11-2009
Crashing from August club, DH will probably take 2-3 days off, unpaid. But he will be caring for our three olders while I enjoy the baby...
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 12:14 PM 06-11-2009
We have no paid leave off for DH either... he JUST started a new job in May and I think he only has one day paid off so far, maybe by the time DS2 comes he will have 2 paid days off, and that's all so far.

His boss told him he could take one week off after the baby. He works out of town so, he will only be here on the weekends as well. So I will be doing all the night-time and day time parenting alone.

However, we rent MIL's basement apt so she will be around to help out some.
georgiegirl1974's Avatar georgiegirl1974 12:19 PM 06-11-2009
I'm very lucky because DH gets a TON of vacation each year (10 weeks!). So he's taking 3 weeks off...the week before I'm due and the two weeks after I'm due. (He needs to schedule his vacation in advance, but if I go into labor more than 1 week early, he should be able to re-arrange things.) My ILs will also be here for the entire month of July, and I know life will be better with DH there to diffuse the IL situation...and to play with DD.

When DD was born, he took 1 week off. (I had her on a Saturday, and he took that next week off. Well he also took the Friday before off because I was in labor all day.) My mom came that next weekend, so I wasn't alone with the baby for another 2 weeks.
springbride's Avatar springbride 12:29 PM 06-11-2009
DH has the Paid Family Medical Leave Act that he gets to use, but since it's only at 55% of regular pay, he's not going to take much of it
He'll probably take 1-2 days off when baby comes, and then wait and take 2 weeks off with the Medical Leave Act, for a trip to see our parents in September.
chely7425's Avatar chely7425 12:33 PM 06-11-2009
Crashing from June... DH gets 10 days off theoretically but it IS the Army we are talking about so that isn't set in stone. My mom is here and hopefully baby makes an appearance ASAP (EDD was yesterday) so that she can be here to help as long as possible then we are hoping that DH can take his 10 days after she leaves.
fawnanddoe's Avatar fawnanddoe 12:34 PM 06-11-2009
DH has to use his vacation time, and unfortunately he's already used up a whole lot of it for all my new doctors appointments, and he's going to have to take a day off for my surgery next week. So he will be taking 2-3 days off paid. Hopefully he can work from home for another day or two so we get a whole week, but if it's a weekend baby then it will be fine. We can't really afford for him to take any unpaid time off unfortunately
BoringTales's Avatar BoringTales 01:03 PM 06-11-2009
I'm not sure. My husband has some vacation time but it really depends on what is going on in the office. His pay is mostly commission, so if he isn't there selling it is going to effect our income regardless of his 'paid' time off.

He'll probably take a few days off, for sure, and then go back 1/2 days to put out fires for a few more. It really depends on how I feel, and if we have family available and willing to come over and help me out during the first week or so.
mamaveggie's Avatar mamaveggie 01:06 PM 06-11-2009
Initially he was going to take 2 weeks off, but since he has been laid off for the past two weeks who knows. He will at least be home for the first week, my mom will take some time the week after that and some of my friends are going to take the girls off my hands and deliver meals the next few weeks after that.
Mama_Michelle's Avatar Mama_Michelle 01:24 PM 06-11-2009
My DH works for a small company that has a "take off time if you need it" philosophy, which sounds OK in theory but no one really takes off time...so DH doesn't want to be the only one (he's only worked there 6 mo). There has been one family that had a baby since he started working for the company and the husband took off the day his wife had the baby and was at work the next day! So I am not sure if the policy is a real policy or just lip service.

DH was a grad student with both our DDs and he took at least 2 weeks. With DD2 he even worked half-time at night for a month when my maternity leave was over because we didn't have daycare right away. He loved the "alone time" he had with her and she is definitely still a daddy's girl. Now that I am not working, transitioning to our third child is going to be different for all of us.
Chamomile Girl's Avatar Chamomile Girl 01:38 PM 06-11-2009
My DH is a professor so he has the summers off anyway. He is scheduled to go back to teach at the end of July, and his university gave him a light load for the Fall knowing he was going to be a new dad...so I am in a pretty good position I think.
gossamerwindweb's Avatar gossamerwindweb 01:51 PM 06-11-2009
DH actually has TONS of vacation time saved up (we're talking about 8 weeks worth) so he will take 1-2 weeks off depending on how we are both feeling. He gets really nervous when he is home for 'no reason'... now I know he will feel different with a new baby but we'll see. When we had our daughter he didn't get ANY time off except the day she was born (and with that he came over to the hospital after he got off work... so it was the next day he had off). Anyhow, we are very fluid on our plan right now.
aricha's Avatar aricha 02:00 PM 06-11-2009
My husband works for himself, so he could theoretically take however long he wants... but after a couple days he has to pay someone to be there in his place. So he will probably take a couple days totally off, then pay someone else for a couple days, then keep that person on to help him for a couple more days after that.

He works from home, so even when he is working, he will still technically be home with me. We also have two friends who will be staying with us for a week or 2 after the birth (depending on when baby comes) so we'll have that help, too.

With this one being #4, I know there's no way I'd be up for new baby and three other young kids on my own, so I am really grateful to have my husband working from home and we worked hard to bring in as much help as we can for the first couple weeks at least.
pinksprklybarefoot 02:00 PM 06-11-2009
DH had the option of taking 3 months at 1/2 pay, 2 at 3/4 pay, or 1 month at full pay. We decided to do the one month. He has a second job in the middle of the night 3 days/week, and he'll probably go back to that fairly quickly. It will probably depend on how well DS1 is sleeping when the baby arrives.

We are lucky that DH can take off so much time, but I have a feeling that I will be more than ready for him to go back to work when the month is up.
learnlovebe's Avatar learnlovebe 02:34 PM 06-11-2009
for as few months this spring, my dh's company hit some really slow times, and they cut down on hours- forcing everyone to use a day of vacation a week for several weeks. Agh. We didn't know how long that was going to last, and at that point he had exactly enough PTO to use one day a week until the baby's due date. I was freaked out! Luckily, things picked up and that only lasted for about 6 weeks or so (but still 6 weeks! That's over a week off after the baby comes!). We had orginally wanted him to take off 2 weeks when the baby comes, but it looks like it's just going to be one week now, so that we can still go visit his family for Thanksgiving this year (it's our "vacation").

So, long story short: 1 week.
leighann79's Avatar leighann79 02:49 PM 06-11-2009
DH is trying to save up vacation time. We are hoping for a week.
1 2 

Up